July 23rd, 2008

Is McCain inching towards Pawlenty?

Is McCain inching toward Pawlenty?

Is McCain inching toward Pawlenty?

ROCHESTER, New Hampshire (CNN) - It's VP tea leaf reading season, and a Republican source who attended a small private meeting with John McCain Tuesday in New Hampshire tells CNN that the GOP candidate dropped a serious hint about Minnesota Governor Tim Pawlenty.

The Republican source said "out of the blue" McCain told the gathering that he thinks they are "really going to like" Pawlenty.

CNN's Political Market: Pawlenty's stock on the rise

This GOP source noted that McCain also said nice things about Mitt Romney, Mike Huckabee and Rudy Giuliani, but those appeared to be standard lines he says about former rivals.

This source said McCain may have been talking about Pawlenty because the meeting was with New Hampshire GOP delegates, and the Republican convention is in Pawlenty's state.

But this source said McCain's praise was effusive, and noteworthy because it appeared to come "totally out of left field."

Pawlenty is a long-time supporter of McCain's. He's from a swing state with considerable support across the Republican Party, including evangelicals, and has always been thought by Republican strategists to be on McCain's short list.

The Minnesota governor, who is visiting Washington, was at McCain headquarters in Virginia today for meetings, according to a McCain aide.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Eyeball

It's either Mitt Romney or bust.

July 23, 2008 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  2. NJPride

Hey, what happened to my anti-Obama post. CNN is for free speech as long as it follows YOUR agenda??

July 23, 2008 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  3. WebLoafer

Yes, I'll be at the voting booth in NOV. but it will be to vote for local issues and representatives
    No one listens to the voters anymore, but if I were John McC I would gather my future cabinet together for a photo op, and make it known that he will select the best of the best (and lovers of America) and not the terrorist, racists and bigots that surround Obama what's his name, where was he born, does he love America, YOU KNOW obama's friends.

McCain has some really American friends, Obama has racist and bigots as friends.

You can call me what you will, BUT "I can see clearly now".

July 23, 2008 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  4. NJPride

What does "waiting for moderation" mean?? Is CNN editing my comments??

July 23, 2008 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  5. John, Austin TX

What an Obamanation this is. McCain is treated with breathless hatred by all the socialist-wanna-be-oh-so-nuanced-latte-drinking-Mercedes driving-Dems while the Chicago boyz that control and made their puppet named Obama quietly move in. Change from a Chicago Machine Democrat, what a charade.

July 23, 2008 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  6. Ian MN

TAKE HIM! we don't want Pawlenty here anymore. Hopefully he accepts and gets his political career tarnished.

July 23, 2008 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  7. Jay for Liberty

Ronnie, if you can't pernounce his name, Maybe you should just stay home on election day.

July 23, 2008 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  8. Danel

Semper Fi, Please don't be pessimistic. We are 4 months away in political terms that's 4 light years away. After the convention we might see the trajectory in the polls. People are busy with their vacations, caught up with their worries about foreclosures and may not be interested answering the surveys. I just hope that people will vote with their pocketbooks and not their idiology.

July 23, 2008 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  9. johanna

OBAMA IS CLUELESS! GOD HELP US AND THE LIBERAL MEDIA CIRCUS!! FOX NEWS IS THE ONLY CHANNEL TO WATCH!

July 23, 2008 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  10. Add a G and you get Go-Bama

I can't believe all you fools that would vote for a guy whose middle name is Hussein. McCain certainly has his faults, but at least he has ideas and not just rhetoric, platitudes and ad hominem arguments like Go-Bama. If Go-Bama's elected bring on the Apocalypse because the USA will no longer be a world power when he is through.

July 23, 2008 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  11. pam Eugene OR

Another stupid attempt by the McCain camp to try to be relevant.

July 23, 2008 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  12. NOBAMA in NJ

(second attempt to get past the CNNcensors)

It is interesting that you feel fine about creating silly names like McSame, etc and you get upset when someone uses Hussein as Obama's middle name.

Oh, that's right, it IS his middle name!

July 23, 2008 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  13. markjeff

I have never in my 52 years witnessed so much hatred and ingornance combined. If MCCain wins you better do something with your hatred before it consumes you. Its unfounded and originates from your ignorance of political reality

July 23, 2008 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  14. William

But you MUST care if dared to respond. Some little twitch and urge made you respond. I CARE, because I wanna make sure that overrated media-marxist candidate stays OUT OF MY WHITE HOUSE. I wanna world where Spike Lee doesn't get a chance to anything in the Lincoln Bedroom. Obama is not qualified. " Ummm, Uhhh, Ummm". 🙂

July 23, 2008 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  15. Greg, San Francisco, CA

More attempts to steal the spotlight from Obama's very successful Mid East trip. Yesterday it was all about Bobby Jindal. Tomorrow it will be Sarah Palin, Governor of Alaska. Until McCain finds a consistent message/theme around which to base his campaign (which I doubt), he will continue to float trial/news balloons to get attention and disparage Obama. McCain has nothing to offer this country.

July 23, 2008 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  16. Keith

If McCain were a true patriot, he would drop out of the race, and concede to Obama now. Why put the country through a contentious election season? What the country needs right now is unity behind our next President, Barack Obama, so he can start the transition immediately.

July 23, 2008 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  17. Montana is Obama Country

Why did CNN terminate my other post..?
    Was it because I called media darlin McVain = to Bush..

Because I said McVain is more of the same...

four more years of WAR.. Bad Economic direction or becasue I said with Pawlenty you get McBush..

No to voting McCain for the sake of voting republican.. No to McCain because he is the in-your-face-more-war-candidate

No to McCain becasue he distorts other peoples records for his own personal advancement.

No to McCain becasue he is GWB just older..

WEAR is YOUR FLAG PIN..???

July 23, 2008 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  18. Adam

Hey lets think of more ways to make fun of mccain's name...Its so childish, doesnt suprise me coming from Obama supporters though. Most havent graduated high school.

July 23, 2008 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  19. Greg

Is everyone on this site in the Obama campaign? Or do the pro-McCain or anti-Obama comments censored?

July 23, 2008 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  20. JimM

We will wait for Sen. Obama to read his response from a teleprompter. I've had enough of Em, eh, a, em, ugh, a, oh, ooo, a, ah, um, a, to last a lifetime from this President.

July 23, 2008 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  21. Mark

While I agree that Obama should be 20 to 30 points ahead in the polls, I don't agree that it is because of his race. He could be Brad Pitt and still have the same problem, that he is the most liberal candidate ever nominated. You put someone like Harold Ford, or Colin Powell or Michael Steele and you would see a candidate that most people could go for.

July 23, 2008 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  22. Charles from SC

All of you ignorant wretches supporting Obama bin laden had better hope is not elected. We will then be led by a man with nothing to offer and no experience to draw from. God bless and protect our country and John McCain.

July 23, 2008 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  23. RON

If McCain picks Pawlenty, he'll lose pawlenty of supporters. If he picks Romney ( the one who SHOULD be our man) then he has a chance.

I give up – the candidates are both libs.

July 23, 2008 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  24. Saddened American

Reading these blogs has become a great source of amusement for me, over the morning coffee. You posters are hilarious, especially when you refer to McCain in the most derogatory of terms, i.e. McBush, McSame, McClueless, etc. Good thing we have that 'ol Bastion of Civil Liberties, the First Amendment. Too bad you trash-talkers don't realize how ridiculous you really come across.

The fact is, while you liberals were growing up and whining about how you didn't get everything you wanted, there was [and still is] a contingent of the population who believed and believes in maintaining a sense of pride and responsibility for one's own actions, and giving thanks to those who made the ultimate sacrifices to protect the rights of others. Like it or not, McCain is a decorated hero and a patriot and he suffered atrocities you couldn't even imagine. If you don't want to vote for him, then fine, but for Pete's sake leave his service record alone. You have no business going there. By the way, I had three brothers in 'Nam, and another brother and myself served in the Navy afterward, and I have a son in the Navy in Japan. We didn't serve because we were told to....we served because we felt we had to, and never complained one iota. Looking back, we have no regrets.

Einstein once remarked: "There are two things in the known universe that are infinite – relativity and human stupidity – and I am not sure about the former." Some of you scalawags in these blogs serve as proof positive as to the validity of that statement.

July 23, 2008 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  25. Polarized in Florida

Until reading these comments, I didn't realize how polarized this really is. As an Independent reading Obama supporters comments, I'm actually now leaning towards McCain.

July 23, 2008 11:42 am at 11:42 am |