July 23rd, 2008

Novak hits pedestrian with car

Robert Novak is interviewed after the accident.
Robert Novak is interviewed after the accident.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Journalist Robert Novak hit a pedestrian with his car in the nation's capital Wednesday morning, Washington police Lt. Michael Lockerman said.

Novak continued driving, unaware he had hit the man, he told told reporters for WJLA-TV and the Web site Politico as he got out of a police car.

"I didn't know I hit anybody," he said near the scene of the incident at 17th and K streets in northwest Washington. "A bicycle rider stopped me and said I had hit someone."

Watch: Robert Novak says he 'did know' he hit anybody

Novak said he was cited for failure to yield right of way.

"I feel terrible," said the journalist, a long-time Washington insider who works as a syndicated columnist.

"It was a slight clipping. The pedestrian hurt his shoulder. It was a slight injury, nothing serious," the police spokesman said.

The pedestrian was taken to George Washington University Hospital, and was expected to be treated and released later Wednesday, a fire department spokesman told CNN.

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Unshrub

Give him the death penalty....

July 23, 2008 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  2. GREG

WHY IS THIS IN THE POLITICAL SECTION?

July 23, 2008 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  3. Terry in NY

If that would have been the average guy they'd have been hauled off to jail. but in his case......
    I smell a lawsuit!!!

July 23, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  4. jimmy velman

I THINK NOVAK WAS JUST TOO PREOCCUPIED WITH HIS NEXT
    NEWSPAPER COLUMN AND WAS NOT WATCHING OUT OM HIS DRIVING AND "DIDN'T KNOW" HE HIT A PEDESTRIAN.
    JUST GLAD THE PEDESTRIAN WAS NOT HURT SERIOUSLY. BUT IF IWERE THE PEDESTRIAN, I'D SEE THE DOCTORS FOR ANOTHER CHECKUP TO BE SURE.

July 23, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  5. Upon Further Review,Texas

Was it Judy,the jail bird?

July 23, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  6. Marie

Hit and Run. That would be the charge. if it were you or me. I hope the victim sues for all it's worth. Novak should be in jail!

July 23, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  7. Crush Rush

Maybe it was Rush Limbaugh on his way to K Street to pick up his pay check.

July 23, 2008 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  8. CM

I don't like Novak for some of the things he says, but this was just an accident that could happen to anyone!

July 23, 2008 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  9. Steve

With 118 comments as I post this, I suggest that this story IS newsworthy – obviously people are willing to read it.

Furthermore, it's newsworthy because Novak generates controversy, and controversy sells papers.

July 23, 2008 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  10. J

Anyone else does that they go to jail ... I hope he is not receiving any special treatment...

July 23, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  11. NIk Green

Ok, if that had been me, or you, or 99.9% of the rest of us, this incident would be considered *hit and run* by law enforcement. Novak will get away with it; its as predictable as the sunrise.

July 23, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  12. Steph

Failure to yeild? How about leaving the scene of a crime with bodily injury?

July 23, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  13. Max

DRIVER'S TEST EVERY 90 DAYS FOR EVERYONE OVER 50!!!! THESE ACCIDENTS HAVE TO END!!!!

July 23, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  14. DMAC/Post Falls, ID

If this old geezer were in jail for treason where he should be he would not have been driving down the street . He has to be older than dirt. Maybe they'll pull his license for the safety of everyone. With all his money he should be able to get a chauffeur.

July 23, 2008 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  15. Max

The headline should have started "Treasonist Bob Novak hits ......"

July 23, 2008 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  16. Paul

Now that's what I call a hard-hitting journalist.

July 23, 2008 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  17. judy, Wisconsin

He's as bad at driving as he is as a "journalist".

July 23, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  18. Jordan - San Marcos TX

The free market should decide whether or not Novak hit a pedestrian with his car.

July 23, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  19. Texas Trail Dog!

JB OF BOSTON – BEING YOU KNOW SO MUCH THEN TELL ME THIS IF THE ELITE OF WASHINGTON AS YOU SAY KNEW ALL ABOUT HER BEING A CIA OPERATIVE THEN WHY WAS SUCH A HULLABOO BEING MADE ABOUT IT AT THE TIME? WHY ARE THEY STILL TRYING TO UNCOVER WHO GAVE THE WOMAN'S NAME TO THE MEDIA, BOB NOVAK? WHY IS THE PAPERWORK FILES THAT GEORGE BUSH IS SITTING ON AND WILL NOT RELEASE BEING COVERED UP IF EVERYONE KNEW? THEN IF EVERYONE DID KNOW AND YOU'RE TELL THE TRUTH SOMEONE SHOULD TELL THE PRESS BECAUSE THE PEOPLE DIDN'T KNOW THAT THE WOMAN WAS A KNOWN OPERATIVE? BESIDE WHAT DOES THE JB STAND FOR? JEB BUSH???

July 23, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  20. Rico

The pedestrian was a CIA agent, too.

July 23, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  21. Gurman Bal

Novak is lying! He didn't know he had hit someone? This loser ran a person down and drove off. Sort of like his Valerie Plame smear. Hello civil lawsuit!

July 23, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  22. Xavierism

Novak needs to go away. Just go away...

July 23, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  23. Derrick

He's too old to be driving anyway! I understands he drives a Corvette? Why in the hell would anyone his age, with disabilities be driving that type of car? It's very obvious that if he didn't know he hit someone that he shouldn't be driving. I hope the driver sues the hell out of him.......the jerk conservative , right wing dork!

July 23, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  24. jjfklewklj

Well I hope he has good insurance, other than that who cares, the pedestrian will be fine and will get a nice big settlement out of court and will probably defect from the US. Yes I know defection means to flee a dictatorship, that was the point of the comment.

July 23, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  25. Pedro Goldstein

Great, another old fart who has no business behind the wheel. I'm sure after this incident, McCain will appoint him as his Transportation Consultant.

July 23, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |