July 23rd, 2008

Novak hits pedestrian with car

Robert Novak is interviewed after the accident.
Robert Novak is interviewed after the accident.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Journalist Robert Novak hit a pedestrian with his car in the nation's capital Wednesday morning, Washington police Lt. Michael Lockerman said.

Novak continued driving, unaware he had hit the man, he told told reporters for WJLA-TV and the Web site Politico as he got out of a police car.

"I didn't know I hit anybody," he said near the scene of the incident at 17th and K streets in northwest Washington. "A bicycle rider stopped me and said I had hit someone."

Watch: Robert Novak says he 'did know' he hit anybody

Novak said he was cited for failure to yield right of way.

"I feel terrible," said the journalist, a long-time Washington insider who works as a syndicated columnist.

"It was a slight clipping. The pedestrian hurt his shoulder. It was a slight injury, nothing serious," the police spokesman said.

The pedestrian was taken to George Washington University Hospital, and was expected to be treated and released later Wednesday, a fire department spokesman told CNN.

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Gregory

Okay this is not really a big news item to rant and rave about.

There are other things more important to discuss than one citizen accidentally hitting another one.

July 23, 2008 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  2. Dave

The victim must have been a neocon, if he was a "liberal", Novak would
    have stopped, hit reverse , ran over him again and then plant a story
    claiming the victim was a terrorist.

July 23, 2008 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  3. Sally

Let me guess.......

This is Obama's fault, just like the high gas prices.

July 23, 2008 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  4. Tee

That's right Steph, it would be failed to yield, leaving the scene, but since it's Novak he will get a slap on the wrist and they will tell him make sure you get your eyes check every year, but me or you we wouldn't have a fighting chance.

July 23, 2008 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  5. Richard, FL

"Novak continued driving, unaware"

July 23, 2008 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  6. Ponce de Leon

Given how obnoxious Novak has been to people throughout his career, I have no problem saying this .....

If you are so old and out of touch that you could hit someone with your car and claim to not even know you did it .... you probably shouldn't be driving Bob.

July 23, 2008 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  7. KEITH SMITH

no doubt a graduate of the dick cheney school of driving and shooting.

July 23, 2008 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  8. Marge Hibbing Mn

Hitting someone is terrible. But has anybody ever tried to drive down a street near the capital and the Federal Triangle. You can hardly get your car thru the congestion. People do not pay attention to Walk –and especially "DON'T WALK" they think the streets are for them only.

July 23, 2008 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  9. Jim G pa

He didn't know he hit anybody? The cops swallowed that excuse?
    How pathetic..

July 23, 2008 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  10. Ken Pittsburgh

can you spell L-A-W- S-U-I-T-E

July 23, 2008 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  11. Doug, New Jersey

Novak seems to be doing a 180 of Lieberman. ;)

If you have driven in blue states and red states frequently then you will get that.

July 23, 2008 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  12. JohnS

Angry Grampi Novak is frutrated that his friend McCain is not doing well.

July 23, 2008 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  13. ali

bush/cheney trying to discredit him for spilling his guts on rove.

July 23, 2008 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  14. Bob

First he outs a covert CIA operative's cover and now he hits a pedestrian. What's next?

July 23, 2008 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  15. Montana is Obama Country

Hit & Run

Failure to Yield

Leaving the scene of an accident

is a start for tickets than need to be issued.. Please don't give him any special treatment because of who he is.. That would be unjust to the person with bodily injury.

Also check to see if he was using his blackberry or cell..

July 23, 2008 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  16. David

Q. I wonder if I did the same thing, and used the same excuse, would I just be cited for "failure to yield the right of way"?

A. Be for real.

July 23, 2008 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  17. Rave

This reminds me of Cheney shooting his friend.. :-)
    Age, Age, Age... my friends..
    This man couldn't drive his car properly or notice that he struck someone.. Image what McPain could do to this country.. Got my point ??
    There is plenty of youth and talent in this country and we are in desperate need of it.
    OBAMA (2008 -16)

July 23, 2008 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  18. Phil

umm, if you dont know you hit a person with your car–you should'nt be driving.

July 23, 2008 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  19. Jack

"The pedestrian must've been a liberal who planned this" –

that's what conservatives and their kool-aid drinking followers who listen to talk radio will be saying about this

July 23, 2008 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  20. Rise America Rise

Even if the pedestrian was John McCain, this would not be news. Comon CNN, I'm sure Barack did something more noteworthy that this. Heck even a good John McConfused gaff would be more newsworthy.

July 23, 2008 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  21. Scott, Wichita

Ken Pittsburgh July 23rd, 2008 2:10 pm ET

can you spell L-A-W- S-U-I-T-E

You can't

How is this political news? I can understand maybe in the US section, but not on the political ticker

July 23, 2008 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  22. Independent-woman-4-Obama

TEXAS TRAIL DOG- I AGREE WITH YOU!!! Why isn't Congress going after Cheney & Novak for treason? Publicizing the name of a CIA Agent is treason........ but...... no one in Congress has the backbone to do what is right! Bush/Cheney and their cronies have broken the law but they will get away with it!

What a nut Novak is!

July 23, 2008 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  23. Otis

I can hear Jon Stewart now....

July 23, 2008 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  24. ARB

learn how to spell ken pittsburgh.....its LAWSUIT.

July 23, 2008 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  25. ClintonDem4Cynthia08

Was the pedestrian Hillary Clinton? Vote Cynthia McKinney in 2008.

July 23, 2008 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |