July 23rd, 2008

Volunteer tells McCain to get new staff

CNN

Watch a volunteer tell McCain he needs to get a new staff.

(CNN) - It was a statement that a McCain town-hall participant said would land her on the campaign's "s**t list."

Addressing the Republican presidential candidate during his town-hall forum in New Hampshire Tuesday, a woman identified herself as a volunteer for his campaign, and said she had come to believe it was time McCain hires a new staff in the state.

"You've got to make some changes," the woman told McCain. "I've had problems with a lot of your paid staff."

Watch: a volunteer tells McCain to make some staff changes

The volunteers had put up all the signs ahead of the town hall event, she complained. "You've got two people sitting right here next to me…They have done more work for you volunteering than a lot of your paid staff have. All your signs that are up outside today, they were put up by us, not by your staff people.”

McCain, whose campaign has battled charges of incompetence - even from some within his own party - joked, "A lot of our paid staff, a lot of them are on work release programs as you know."

McCain later said the staff problems would be fixed.

"We'll have our folks sit down and chat with you about what needs to be fixed in your mind and in your view,” he said. “And let me just say again: I'm very aware, I'm very aware that the only way that campaigns succeed - and certainly the only way every one of mine have - is through volunteers, and I'm extremely grateful and I thank you."

Filed under: John McCain • New Hampshire
  1. Enlightened Voter

He has run a faulty campaign and you repuglicans want him to run your country? But the real problem is that his staffers don't believe in him, his cause or campaign. It's that simple.

July 22, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  2. no no no!

bone head

July 22, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  3. Bud

That brave volunteer has more backbone than mccain.

July 22, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  4. John

Incompetent is one thing. Criminal is another.

I was reading a Newsweek article about McCains fight with Boeing and the tanker contract. Eventually a number of people got into trouble both at Boeing and the Air Force.

The contract was awarded to the Airbus people. Come to find out five of McCain's staffers are paid lobbyist for Airbus.

Because of public uproar the contract will be rebid. Which is fair. Why hasn't more attention been paid with McCain's meddling and the and the obvious conflict of interest with his staffers..?

July 22, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  5. dan

why doesnt McCain ever get accused of having no substance? All he ever says is "Victory in Iraq, Winning in Iraq" yet he cant tell us what Victory means? Thats what you people call substance? Tell us were winning, but cant tell us how or why?

July 22, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  6. FactCheck

Maybe McCain can hire the former head of FEMA and Donald Rumsfeld to run his campaign. It would be a step up.

July 22, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  7. Don't Follow the Flock

Peter -

You're missing the point. The biggest criticism that you and your leftist friends on here can level at McCain is that his volunteers, rather than paid staff, are hanging the banners outside his town hall??? Seriously?

And last time I checked volunteers are supposed to do what they're asked to do and not complain that paid staff aren't helping sufficiently. If you want to volunteer to do work, that's great. If you don't, shut up and leave.

July 22, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  8. MBG (NYC)

So much for the battleground state....

July 22, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  9. Stephen Z (TX)

What do people expect when McCain is trying to blame a 30 year foreign oil addiction on someone that has been in the senate a few years? McCain is insane, and no I"m not exaggerating. I fear for this country greatly if he wins. I know bush is at least top 3 as in worse president of all time, but god save us all if McCain wins. He will make Bush look like Roosevelt....

July 22, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  10. karen-phoenix

McCain scares me to death!!! He's sooo out of touch! AND way toooo old!!!! I'm in my 60's and I do not want anyone any older than I am trying to take care of MY COUNTRY!!!

July 22, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |