July 24th, 2008

CNN's Electoral Map: Both lose ground – but McCain gains edge

CNN's new electoral map.
CNN's new electoral map.

(CNN) — Two more states have shifted to the toss-up column in the new CNN Electoral Map that charts the candidates’ strength leading up to the November election.

Minnesota – which had turned from toss-up to “leans Obama” in the last analysis – is back up for grabs, along with New Mexico, which had been classified “leans McCain.” The shift of both states gives the Arizona senator a net gain of five votes over his standing in the previous CNN Electoral Map – but his opponent still has 221 electoral votes — 32 more than McCain’s total of 189, and 49 shy of winning the presidency.

CNN made the change in New Mexico after new polling conducted by the Pew Hispanic Center showed that demographic, a major voting bloc in the state, backs Obama’s candidacy by a margin of greater than 2 to 1, 66 percent to 23 percent. Minnesota’s move comes after a new Quinnipac survey finds Obama’s lead in that state has shrunk to a statistically insignificant 2-point margin, 46 percent to 44 percent.

Election: Check out CNN's new electoral map

This is only a CNN estimate, and is likely to change many more times before Election Day.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. Mama D

Polls mean nothing. Who are they polling anyway? I never been polled. And CNN poll map is a joke just like them. Thats why I watch MSNBC. The only one I can stomach and I like on CNN is Cafferty!! He is the only one who makes sense and talks with sense!! The rest of the crew is bias against Obama, even when Hilary was in the race!!

CNN might as well join forces with FOX NEWS!!

July 24, 2008 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  2. Andrew

Just wait till everyone can see them side by side in a debate and can compare Obama's intelligence and quickness with McCain's mediocrity and fatigue. Whatever McCain may have been eight years ago, he's no longer that now. He has no potential to govern. He can barely function.

July 24, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  3. Elly

Polls are pointless at this time when the campaign between these two doesnt officially start until after the conventions !!Its almost hillarious for MCSame to say that he is concentrating on the issues of the country
    where was he a cpple weeks ago ...in foreign countries as well
    that have absolutely nothing to do with the election campaigns
    It WAS him that ragged on at Obama about going abroad now hes taking him down for it
    Last night he said when asked about Obamas trip abroad *It is what it* well I got news for him *What it is* is 100% better than what Americans have right now with Bush and MCSame!!!!!!!!!
    Hes an old fool bordering on the beginning of dementia
    Obama is a refreshing change and will bring an end to the failed policies of the Bush administration
    He will also bring back *respect and admiration* for the US
    the choice is simple more of the SAME or the change America so badly needs!!
    Obama 08

July 24, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  4. Kimber Grace

I'm voting for McCain DESPITE THE FACT that he is a white male. AND, 'hispanics' know how long and hard John McCain has fought for them. The only former candidate who has done as much is Hillary. CNN-you disgust me. If you could marry Obama, you would. I'm not sure why I still read and watch you.

July 24, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  5. mark in az

Mc Same scares me. His recent pronouncements have given me pause to question his mental acumen. I don't want to wake up one morning to a mushroom cloud because the old geezer had a dream where he believed we were being attacked and he goes ahead and starts WWIII. That would suck.

July 24, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  6. anymous

obama should be leading in florida

July 24, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  7. Jersey Joe

I'm white... but raised my kids to be color blind and I really believed in the vision of Martin Luther King to get us all there. I even did some Civil Rights work in the Boston area many years ago. I was proud to see us get to the point where we were seriously considering a woman, a senior citizen and a person of color for President. But Sen. Obama is simply not the right person to lead the most powerful and influential country on the planet. Maybe after he at least completes a full term in the US Senate –or two or three...

July 24, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  8. LatinosforMcCain

I have been saying OBAMA is not for the Latinos, open your eyes obama is not for the latinos, we can smell a rat miles aways!!

Latinos for McCain 08

July 24, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  9. PUMA John in PA

I was nonpartisan until this year, when I switched to a D to vote for Hillary in the primaries. I am still embitterred by Obama's arrogance, as well as irritated and disgusted by his smoke and mirrors. I will not bite my nose to spite my face though by voting for McCain.

I am pushing the 18,000,000 Hillary supporters to consider another option if Hillary isn't VP: CYNTHIA McKINNEY 2008! Woot woot!

July 24, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  10. Claudia

Greg from Big Island: I don't know what line of work you are in, but you are so correct. Thanks for reminding us because it's a true reality check.

July 24, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  11. Pat

I'm not surprised that the Latino vote leans toward McCain. It has been my experience that there is a great rivelry between blacks and the Spanish speaking community. Sad, but true and this poll shows it.
    I certainly hope Obama does not choose Hillary. There are Hillary supporters and Obama supporters and neither side will be satisfied with a union between the two.We cannot have all chiefs and no Indians. I cannot see Hillary or Bill Clinton playing second fiddle to anyone! Obama is his own man and should have a VP who supports him. Bill Richardson or Chuck Hagel would be good choices. They would add to the presidency, not take away!

July 24, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  12. Carl Dupont

It was amusing to see more than 250,000 people in Berlin listening to our next President, Obama. America is back with her morale values.
    God is Almighty
    Obama 08 and 012

July 24, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  13. Jim in Virgnia

I find these poll numbers pretty suspect and I can’t help but wonder if its not yet another move by the news media (who, after all, pays for the polls) to keep interest in the race high. If the electorate decide the race is over and there is no need to stay glued to CNN then they can’t sell advertising beasue nobody will be watching. Here in Virginia the news media-generated polls keep suggesting a close race and yet, it is amazing how many Republicans are supporting Obama. On the street there is certainly no sense that this is as close as the polls indicate – and thats on the streets of southern VA where the Republicans normally rule. I just wonder if the media is manipulating the polls to keep our interest in a race that, in reality, seems very lopsided. It may be my natural cynicism but I won’t be surprised if this ends up being a huge landslide and we are again left wondering, “what happened?!”

July 24, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  14. Sandy

CNN POLLS DON'T MATTER AND OBAMA IS LOOKING MORE AND MORE PRESIDENTIAL THAN EVER.

July 24, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  15. Scott

It is funny to see everyone still blaming Bush and Co. We voted in the Dems. two years ago and look how much "change" has happened. Our previous leaders set up the government so that the President does not have that much power. It is Congress who holds the power and they have made the "change" happen. But you keep blaming Bush and Co. for our record gas prices and we will get change allright, but it might not be for the better. Just take some time to look at the numbers over the last two years and you will see who is to blame.

July 24, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  16. SIMP

Wow Love my USA

Your little he say she say junk is laughable. Get a life. You Hillary and mccain supporters will do anything to try and discredit Obama. Keep your detective work to yourself.

July 24, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  17. Daniel So Cal

I believe that most sane Hillary supporters will either vote for Obama or not vote at all. The one's that say they will vote for McCain are either republicans in disguise, not someone who voted for Hillary in the primaries, did not share their toys as a child, or someone who only has four years to live with no kin and doesn't care where the world is headed.
    As far a Joe saying he'd be more competent after another term or two in the Senate, well, Bush had two terms as President and he's still a terrible President.

July 24, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  18. Frank Chase Jr,

CAN ANYBODY HEAR ME. THE ELECTION IS A TOSS UP SIMPLY BECAUSE OBAMA IS AFRICAN-AMERICAN. IF HE WE WHITE, HE'D HAVE THE ELECTION IN THE BAG ALREADY.

AMERICA IS STILL NOT ABLE TO JUDGE ON THE CONTENT OF CHARACTER. WHY IS OBAMAS SKIN COLOR SO IMPORTANT TO YOU?

July 24, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  19. Mike

Polls are showing the race is shifting in favor of McBush. Maybe obama should make speeches here than in germany, I dont need a "I will learn on the job" president. Talk isnt going to get my gas price down to $2-3/gallon or get my grocery prices down. Please give me a policy Obama. You are not running to be a public speaker but running for the president of my beloved country! Can we get real policies instead of speeches from obama?

July 24, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  20. Michael

One thing I have learned through 8 years of this current mockery called Bush is that the vote matters not anymore.
    And if anyone thinks this right winged freakshow is going to be pushed to the side easily I am afraid you have another thing coming.
    To me the real question is how far will they push it this time. I expect the actual vote will be a landslide for Obama but will play out as close and we will have another act of deception.
    The clue is this.....McCain has marginal support. Period. He is not even a contender against Obama and his own party can barely tolerate him. Yet, somehow the media plays it as Obama being only 6 points ahead in polls?? Give me a break.
    Bottom line...if McCain wins this election that will; be proof of deception once again in November.

July 24, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  21. Jerry from Oregon

I wish CNN and the rest of the main steam media would stop with the 'net gain of 5 electors for McCain, or Obama' garbage. These are based on polls. which are anything but an exact science. The main stream media is only interested in making this race seem close. I seriously doubt the results of these polls, unless this country is alot more racist than i fear it could be. How on earth could a republican be within 4-5 points of an inspiring Democratic leader? even one of McCain's heroism. We have seen our economy trashed, our Constitution trameled, and our reputation around the world undermined over the last 8 years by a Republican in the oval office.

Barack Obama may be 'inexperienced' as most note, but that is a good thing. He brings fresh ideas and energy that is sorely needed to Washington and this country.

but let's STOP talking about shifts of 5 electors based on polls in July!

that is the height of journalistic irrisponsibility!

July 24, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  22. Rich, GA

I am an avid McCain supporter, and I just want to say that I'm hoping and praying that Barrack Hussein Obama does NOT become our next president. There is no telling what crap he'd do in office. I know how everyone wants a black president, but come on, voting for him because he's black is just as bad as not voting for him because he's black.

Speaking of race, I do believe it will play a big role in the election. All the undecided voters will realize that white people are naturally smarter and vote for McCain. Vote for McCain because Obama's inane!

July 24, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  23. Tim

What a bounch of crap. Any little slitter of light for McSame and it's major news. How is this bigger news that MCSame getting the surge time line and importance totally wrong???

July 24, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  24. brian

Why isn't CNN reporting the other gains made by John McCain from the same poll? The results are on every news page except CNN.

Colorado (nine electoral votes): McCain 46%, Obama 44% (in June, Obama 49%, McCain 44%).

Michigan (17 electoral votes): Obama 46%, McCain 42% (in June, Obama 48%, McCain 42%).

Minnesota (10 electoral votes): Obama 46%, McCain 44% (in June, Obama 54%, McCain 37%).

Wisconsin (10 electoral votes): Obama, 50%, McCain 39% (in June, Obama 52%, McCain 39%).

Turn your organization back into a news outlet and not a cheerleading squad for a candiate you have already decided should be president.

July 24, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  25. Leah DiMarco, Texas

Obama will win by a landslide and will be the next President of the UNTIED States of America! President Obama '09

July 24, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |