July 24th, 2008

McCain says he'd prefer to speak in Germany as president

Sen. John McCain's campaign is doing what it can to counter the publicity from Sen. Barack Obama's trip.

(CNN) - Sen. John McCain sharpened his attacks against Sen. Barack Obama on Thursday, saying he'd rather give a speech in Germany as president than as a presidential candidate.

Obama was in Berlin for the latest leg of an international trip intended to bolster his foreign policy credentials at home and set out his vision for a new era of transatlantic cooperation.

Watch: McCain says he'd prefer to speak in Germany as President

McCain was campaigning Thursday in Ohio, focusing on health care.

Speaking to reporters outside Schmidt's Restaurant and Banquet Haus, a German eatery in Columbus, Ohio, McCain responded to Obama's Berlin speech, which attracted large crowds at the Victory Column.

Watch: McCain discusses Obama's Berlin speech

"Well, I'd love to give a speech in Germany ... a political speech or a speech that maybe the German people would be interested in," he said. "But I would much prefer to do it as president of the United States rather than as a candidate for the office of the presidency."

Full story

1. TJ in Texas (Dallas)

Indeed. Grow up. Would you like some cheese with that whine, McSame as Bush!

Obama '08!

July 24, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  2. BobW Rochester, NY

After all...he always wanted to speak in a country that borders India...or is that Czechoslovakia? Help him out Joe!

July 24, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  3. Greg, Brattleboro, VT

Yeah, you are right 1000% because you won't be president my dear " Had been"!

July 24, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  4. Ren

...good luck with that.

July 24, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  5. JIM...TX

Nobody would show up to listen to the old geezer!

July 24, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  6. Anonymous

Has John McCain forgotten about the speech he made in Canada about NAFTA?

What a hypocrite.

July 24, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  7. Debby

OUCH !!!

July 24, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  8. Candy West Virginia

Jealous much?

July 24, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  9. Toni Castillo, Romeoville, IL

I am glad Mr. McCain has not chosen to follow in Obama's steps. Befoe I wasn't sure who Obama was and what he stood for. Now I get it!! Mr. Obama is running for dictactor for the whole world. The only person that has interest and is running for president of the USA is Mr. McCain. It only took seven months to finally know who Obama really is.

July 24, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  10. Bulldog

Jealousy is a horrible trait. Unfortunately McCain is adding this to his horrible anger issues.

July 24, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  11. H Jay From NYC

The more I hear John McCain speak , the more I hear a cranky jealous old man.

July 24, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  12. Obama supporter in New Jersey

McCain is a GAFFE MACHINE!! He gave a speech in Canada....what is the difference with what Obama did? Hate is a disease and he needs to stop hatin on Barack because he is getting love! I wish McCain would take a nap and shut that HOLE in his FACE!!

July 24, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  13. Richard

Mccain is right....and he takes this position as most humble people would. Who would be so arrogant as to change the presidential seal, refer to oneself as president during an election and hold political rallys in foreign countries as though you are a head of a nation when you're not. That measure of arrogance do not exist in a mind that is humble enough to know......in a general election, voters speaks and choose the president. Until then, a candidate is only a person seeking the job. I'm all about being humble....I'm all about Mccain. And btw, I'm really rooting for a Mccain – Jindal ticket :)

July 24, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  14. Jenny, Rio Vista, CA

I guess he won't be speaking in Germany then.

July 24, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  15. Robin

Well...what else he could say. It is okey John...don't cry...don't be that jealous... you are big boy now

July 24, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  16. Thomas

I guess Senator McCain won't be visiting Germany.

July 24, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  17. JPM

A speech that no one would attend, because you are the same as Bush and we all know what that means. Been there, done that.

July 24, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  18. Wal

What about your speech in Canada recently?
    Doesn't remember!

July 24, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  19. Dennis

I would love to see the literally 'ones' of people standing there listening to your 'wisdom' there, straight talker.

July 24, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  20. Shasta

CNN, why do you even post that bull? How many countries did McCain go to? How many times did McCain DEMAND that Obama travel?

Like it or not, the rest of the world matters when picking a country's leader. In the globalized world, we cannot pretend to be isolated anymore. Get over it. Grow up.

CNN, if you can't stand the heat of McCain's whiny "oh, the press doesn't like me", then post REAL articles, not this crap.

July 24, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  21. not important

What would he speak about? How much he hates it that Germany didn"t like the Iraq war?

July 24, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  22. Brennan - Seattle, WA

I love how the McCain camp attacked Barack Obama for saying that he is "a citizen of the U.S., but also a citizen of the world" '

I am certain now that McCain is clueless on international matters. I am sorry, but if you do not see yourself as a global citizen then you sir are ignorant to the changes that have occured. Globalization has brought us all closer together and inherent in that closeness lies a shared responsibility.

July 24, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  23. evan brown

give up mate

July 24, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  24. Lee

Once again, McCain shows he is a man of integrity, instead of a blatant opportunist, who is trying to buy the Presidency of the United States of America.

July 24, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  25. Lorraine

You are just jealous because you were not asked. You could not bring a crowd bigger than your town halls anyway because no one wants to hear what little you have to say my friend.

July 24, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |