July 24th, 2008

McCain says he'd prefer to speak in Germany as president

Sen. John McCain's campaign is doing what it can to counter the publicity from Sen. Barack Obama's trip.

(CNN) - Sen. John McCain sharpened his attacks against Sen. Barack Obama on Thursday, saying he'd rather give a speech in Germany as president than as a presidential candidate.

Obama was in Berlin for the latest leg of an international trip intended to bolster his foreign policy credentials at home and set out his vision for a new era of transatlantic cooperation.

Watch: McCain says he'd prefer to speak in Germany as President

McCain was campaigning Thursday in Ohio, focusing on health care.

Speaking to reporters outside Schmidt's Restaurant and Banquet Haus, a German eatery in Columbus, Ohio, McCain responded to Obama's Berlin speech, which attracted large crowds at the Victory Column.

Watch: McCain discusses Obama's Berlin speech

"Well, I'd love to give a speech in Germany ... a political speech or a speech that maybe the German people would be interested in," he said. "But I would much prefer to do it as president of the United States rather than as a candidate for the office of the presidency."

Full story

1. Kathy in Union City

LEE, what on earth are you talking about? Obama went abroad because of the coercion of Bush III.

July 24, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  2. Scot

McCain's jealousy is showing and he has to know that most people in Germany probably wouldn't come out to hear him anyway. He gives a lousy speech. I was always told "be careful of what you wish for, you just might get it".
    McCain went on and on about Obama not going to Iraq and other places and now that he has done it, he doesn't like the outcome. McCain should have known better, but as usual he nor his campaign have a clue. He can always plan his own trip to the Middle East and Europe and then the American press can follow him around too.

July 24, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  3. Supporter 08

Sooooo one reporter was waiting at the airport for McCains Arrival... okay

OBAMA 08

July 24, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  4. Matt

I was watching one of his town halls earlier and it was strange, not a single smile in more than 5 minutes- oh sure he got applause, but everyone was looking at the floor and seemed generally bitter and downtrodden about something.

Draw your own conclusions, but its something to look for.

July 24, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  5. lil

Be careful Sen mccain of what you ask for you might just get it and at
    the same time get shows up.

Obama,Obama,Obama!!!!!!!!!!!!

BUY,Buy, mccain.

July 24, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  6. Funny Guy

Never thought I would say this about a presidential candidate but... Hater!

July 24, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  7. Gary of El Centro, Ca

I'm afraid McCain just doesn't have the oratorical or political skills to compete with Obama on the world stage. McCain, although I believe he is an honorable man, would not be able to accomplish the things that I believe Obama can. He is the right man, in the right place, at the right time, with the right skill set and approach to provide the kind of leadership the country and the world are craving.

July 24, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  8. OBAMA Supporter all the way

McCain you can't get that kind of crowd here – let along Germany. Go sit down somewhere and stop complaining.

Everyone in the world is loving the change and hope that Obama brings. You're just the same ol', same ol

July 24, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  9. cricket

John McCain pressed and pressed Senator Obama into going overseas. Now he is saying Obama not being president yet should not of been there and spoken the way he did. Nothing pleases this man ....whiney, whiney McCain. McCain's judgments are all wrong. It backfired on you Johnny Boy LOL........ Then McCain said he was disappointed because the storm (Dolly) stopped him from making his speech. He should be more concerned about the people and the destruction it is causing instead of himself. The world likes Senator Obama ............

July 24, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  10. anything goes

obama said world stand together only moron believe that, must be agre just like in SF

July 24, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  11. LATINA for OBAMA(nj)

well Mccain..maybe in your next life

OBAMA 08

July 24, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  12. Bubba

I'd love to speak in France as President of Playboy magazine. I think I have a better chance than McGeezer.

Um. Lee, a suggestion? Lose the second comma. I believe that McGeezer is a man of integrity who is trying to buy the Presidency, not a blatant opportunist, but you may have intended it as a compliment.

July 24, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  13. Rob indetroit

Mccain wishes he could draw more than a hundred people, but he cant .

July 24, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  14. Bill, Streamwood, IL

It is a sad commentary on the man when a U.S. Senator whines that he needs to be President of the United States to say something effective.

Apparetly John McCain is not the Leader he says that he is. (Hint for Candidate McCain: It's the person, not the position).

July 24, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  15. EBC

Whoa...nelly, that's a hell'va dream you got there grampa. It's time to wake up from your nap.

We Americans can barely get through a few sentences in your boring and lame speeches, I don't think the Germans could stay awake to hear your entire speech, I know I can't. AND trust me I've tried, but the lack of sincerity and substance of your speeches just leaves a big THUD in the "motivation" department. I don't think Germany WANTS you speaking in any capacity.

July 24, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  16. NO TO OBAMA

I am so f-ing sick of obama. He is just a clown. Yes, McCain is not great either, BUT, Obama????? Please! All he does is look pretty and give pretty speeches that someone else writes for him. He is also arrogant to boot.

NADER 2008

July 24, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  17. Chris

Whinner!!! Stop whinning old man!!!
    OMG, if you think the person we have in office right now was stubborn just think what this old man is going to be like!!!
    I ask you just think of your grand parents or even better think of your elderly parents. He is too OLD!!!

July 24, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  18. Marcus, Great Lakes IL

July 24th, 2008 4:06 pm ET

Once again, McCain shows he is a man of integrity

__________________

Tell that to his first wife.
    Tell that to the families of the POW/MIA's

Then listen to the response.

July 24, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  19. Andres

To the comment above me: McCain is not a blatant opportunist? Should we look up those speeches on Jerry Falwell? Or is that too obvious?

July 24, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  20. Bill, Alabama

I guess that the German people will not get the chance to hear McCain in person. His ego is larger than his statue or his age, and that is bad!

July 24, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  21. Chris

I've noticed a trend here.........obama supporters are extremely dumb and arrogant. Not a pretty combination.

July 24, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  22. Denny Kazembe

My question to Senator McCain is, when you said, go abroad and see what our allies are all about because I have already been there several times, where did you actually want Obama to go?
    I heard you are demanding debates with Obama. Can you exactly say what you actually want before the debates begin in case you want something else. Be careful what you wish for now.

July 24, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  23. AdamT

McCain has integrity, how so? Obama's a blatant opportunist? If McCain would have something to say other that the same tired rhetoric"Obama has no experience, he cant understand , he should go to iraq and afghanistan" blah blah blah, someone may listen to him.

July 24, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  24. JEric

I don't think, even as president, McCain could get even a quarter of the audience that came out for Obama. It's funny watching this jealous, he criticized Obama for not going overseas. Now Obama is overseas he criticizes Obama for being overseas. This isn't a political thing, people in other parts of the world by and large see Obama as the one who can make a difference. McCain comes across as confrontational and ignorant.

July 24, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |