July 24th, 2008

Obama decides troop visit in Germany would be 'inappropriate'

(CNN) - Barack Obama has opted against plans to visit wounded members of the U.S. military in Germany over concern that trip might be viewed as a political one.

“During his trip as part of the CODEL to Afghanistan and Iraq, Senator Obama visited the combat support hospital in the Green Zone in Baghdad and had a number of other visits with the troops,” Obama senior advisor Robert Gibbs said in a statement.

“For the second part of his trip, the senator wanted to visit the men and women at Landstuhl Regional Medical Center to express his gratitude for their service and sacrifice. The senator decided out of respect for these servicemen and women that it would be inappropriate to make a stop to visit troops at a U.S. military facility as part of a trip funded by the campaign.”

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Lenny

So, you want the guy to shake every single person hand. Unbelievable

July 24, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  2. GH

"concern that trip might be viewed as a political one"??

Isn't the whole trip political?? Looks like one big campaign ad to me.

If he really wanted to visit the soldiers and not make it political, just go and leave the press bus behind. They don't have to be allowed with him everywhere. He could have gone without press and not even announced it. I'm sure the wounded soldiers would have appreciated the visit.

Of course, then it's not a photo op like the rest of the trip, is it?

July 24, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  3. margaux

I just read that Obama decided to take a tour of Berlin citing that he'd never been there before. Priorities, Senator??

July 24, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  4. Andy

And this man wants to be Commander in Chief? Well at least someone told him that once again the overseas military vote will never make it to the ballot box. Even Hillary would visit wounded troops.

July 24, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  5. ladyredskins

What is inappropriate is this whole "trip." It is nothing more than Obama "campaigning" overseas which is pathetic. He has hit a new low with this entire trip. It'll be interesting to see how much lower he can go and I do believe he can go lower. He is so ignorant and self centered. He has no conception of what is really going on in the USA or the world. He is just pathetic!!

July 24, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  6. arc, Lugano CH

Independent in Iowa:

You sound very scared…

July 24, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  7. Obama Supporter 2

Karen is really Karl hired by Rush/Rove to create negative will for Obama on the blogs – How much are they paying you??? I hear they have pretty deep pockets. – Texas Trail Dog must be making really good money for the crap that he spews!!!!

July 24, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  8. EDW

some of you need to story again. These soldiers are injured and probably not in the mood for a nice photo op with anybody. OUT OF RESPECT to them and their families he is staying away.

July 24, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  9. john

NO, he'd rather go and speak as if he has been elected Emporer of the world than speak to those hurt defending democracy in a far away place. NO, he'd rather get his picture taken LOOKING magnanamous and PIOUS than to go and show care for those hurt fighting so others can be free. NO, he'd rather have HIS moment in the spotlight rather than go and give praise to people who have been hurt and treated badly for freedom's sake. Wake up America, just say NO right back at him.

July 24, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  10. Michelle

The "didn't want to make it into a campaign event" is bull because the whole trip is a campaign stop (definitely not any "fact finding" going on) and as far as avoiding photos to be used against him. . .ever heard of closing the door and not allowing them. It's done all the time. Nice try, but it's obvious he doesn't want any part of thanking our young hero's for turning things around. He can't even accept what they've been able to accomplish over there.

July 24, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  11. A CANUCK

SHAME ON YOU KAREN.........I'll bet your'e still shedding tears over Hillary !!!!!

July 24, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  12. Independent in Iowa

arc, Lugano CH:

We'll see what happens in November.

July 24, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  13. Ron

So let me get this right. Some people on this group are saying he choose not to see the troops in Germany because he is stuck up and does not give a dam_ about the troops. Hmmm – If he had gone the same people would say he was using the wounded troops for political games. You would be funny but you are really sad.

July 24, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  14. Janet

I am very proud of Obama. America has been viewed lately as the 2 or 3 best country. I pray that China is now viewed as the #1 country. Me personally I would not move there even if someone paid me!
    I am so glad he spoke in Berlin, it shows Obama is for all the people.

Quit haten on him, I don't see anyone trying to make a difference in this country.
    McCain is not my choice for President, I have my own personal reason, but he would not work for me.
    Hillary was my second choice, however if Obama looses, I will not vote for Hillary in 2012.. Because after this election, I have changed my personal views of the Clintons.

July 24, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  15. Nate Hussein

Laura
    "I love how Republicans are attacking him for this. If he HAD gone to visit them, they would have accused him of politicizing wounded soldiers. He can't win, can he?"

No he can't. Funny how McGramps dared him to go to Iraq and Afg, and when he does, McBush criticizes him. Jan 09 can't come soon enough!

Obama/Sebelius '08

July 24, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  16. proud army and navy mom

To Indepedent in Iowa:

Thank you for the kind words about my son's and daughter's service.

I would never presume to speak for an entire group of people, such as our fine troops. I absolutely love all of them, because they are sacrificing so that we can live in peace.

I was only stating the troops excitement that I have spoken with. I keep in daily contact with them. We email each other constantly.

They are tired of 2,3,4 tours. They cannot say anything negative about george w, they only speak about their issues. The troops I speak with wants to be informed and they want me to inform us civilians of the truth, not just what bush wants your to hear. That's what I promised them I will do.

July 24, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  17. Michelle

The guy is rich. . .you mean to tell me he couldn't fork over a little of his own money towards the trip to say "this is for the time I spent visiting our troops"? Just pay a percentage of the trip to account for it? That would have gone much further than just blowing them off. He had plenty of money to go to the Carribean for a vacation. . .but I guess it was a tough tour of duty "fighting" Hillary across the U.S.; eating bad food; staying in uncomfortable 4-star hotels; and the rest. Our young hero's have had it easy in Afghanistan and Iraq compared to poor Obama!!

July 24, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  18. DKW

HE went and worked out instead of seeing the troops. Typical OBAMA

July 24, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  19. TerryDo--PumaPac

Obama getting ethical?

When is it ever INAPPROPIATE to visit sick people in a hospital?

However, it may not have been politicially expedient not to pay them a visit.

To visit or not to visit that is the question, it is always far better to have visited... FAILED AGAIN!

July 24, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  20. steve

To Karen who wrote about when Obama didnt speak to any of the soldiers over seas. You were misinformed. I was there and he did shake our hands. I was there and he did speak to us. He told us what a great job we were doing and to come back safe. There were soldiers playing basketball with him as well. So before you write something someone else sent or said to you, get it right next time.

July 24, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  21. bode

To Independent in IOWA:
    The proud parents were referring to the visit by Obama and not his candidacy. Keep your eye on the ball and don't let your hate distract you.
    The service men have every right to vote for and have faith in whomsoever they chose. The visit was successful by all accounts. Lets agree and move on. The back and forth is tiresome.

July 24, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  22. Canadian black man for Obama.

I am sick and tire to read how McCain is a very good and Obama is not in blog like this.

Where are the facts or where you getting your facts from? I view youtube McCain flip flops and I see lots of inconsistency in McCain's own words.

Where is the facts that you are talking about that MCCain has for the country.
    Just admit you hate Obama because either you hate black man or you are dying hearted Republican who will follow them to their graves. If what is happaning to the country is the way the country have to be ruled, because if you have conscience you realized that country need better leadership.

You guys a busy dividing us America, but the enemies group us together. just take your mind back to 9 11 does the terrorist separated white from black before they striked?

July 24, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  23. Independent in Iowa

proud army and navy mom:

One thing we can all agree on is that Bush has been one of the worst CIC's in modern history. My brother has no problem criticizing him, either. :)

I know Obama would be a much better president than our current one. I guess my anger comes from the fact that he plays this innocent guy who doesn't play dirty when his past speaks to the contrary.

I'll get over it, someday!

Have a great weekend.

July 24, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  24. Down with Obama

Obama should be in jail, Logan Law!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

July 24, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  25. Marcus, Great Lakes IL

Dang!!!

What a lot of crap is being posted on this board!!

If any of you "Veterans" be you real or not looked at McCain's voting records on Veterans Affairs and you STILL back him, you must not need your Veteran's benefits because you are willing to not only sell yourself off but the rest of us.

July 24, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |