July 24th, 2008

Poll of polls update: Obama ahead by four

(CNN) — Barack Obama holds a 4-point lead over John McCain in the latest CNN poll of polls.

The new average of the three most recent national surveys of registered voters shows the Illinois senator at 47 percent with McCain standing at 43 percent. About 10 percent say they are undecided.

The margin between the two presidential candidates has narrowed slightly over the past week: in a CNN poll of polls taken July 16, Obama and McCain were separated by 6 points.

Election Center: Check out the poll of polls trend

The latest poll of polls includes recent surveys from Gallup, NBC/Wall Street Journal, and ABC/Washington Post.

1. Hillary got screwed

I expect the 10% undecided will lean towards McCain. I also think McCain will benefit from some buyers remorse as people take a closer look at Obama as we get closer to election day and people see that he really is an empty suit and quite scary with his leftist views.

July 24, 2008 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  2. Mark Ramsey MD Milwaukee WI

Mr. Obama,
    Choosing Hillary Clinton as your V.P. would put you ahead by at least 15 points. She won 1/2 of the democratic primary votes. The choice for V.P. is obvious.

July 24, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  3. Lisa

These polls only poll people with home phones. They don't account for the millions in the cell phone age who don't use home phones anymore.

Like me.

I predict Obama is up by 15 going into Nov.

July 24, 2008 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  4. Was a Democrat-Now an Independent

It just goes to show that the American people realize that Barack Obama is not the President of the USA, contrary to what the media would have us believe. We would like to actually vote before acknowledging whether or not a person is president. The more the media tries to shove this guy down our throats, the more we dislike it. It is the job of the media to reflect both sides of any story. Too bad too few are doing their jobs.

July 24, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  5. Claudia

Our Government is making fools out of us. Looking over the past events such as talking to Iran, lowering oil prices, horizon withdrawal from Iraq, mortgage bailouts, Bear & Sterns bailout, drilling for oil, stimulous checks and so many things. It took 7 years plus to create most of this mess and now that we're upon an election our Government is willing to fix this mess in 5 to 5 months. Something is very wrong with this picture. Think about it.

July 24, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  6. Mama D

You can't count on poll numbers. Because who are they polling? I have never been polled!! They must be polling one set of people, or by age, or even by color!! I never buy into the polls because you have to many voter groups to do that!!

July 24, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  7. Annette

This is the first black American to get this far. Some say why hasn't Obama lead become greater. I say why is it a surprise. Whether we want to say it or not, race is a factor in this election. That's the reality.

July 24, 2008 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  8. Didine - Maryland

These number are not accurate. I believe in Barack and I am convince that Mcwar will not be that close on next week poll when Barack will be back in the US. Americans do not want another third term of George Bush, so Barack is the candidate that represent change and hope. If Barack Obama is not elected President, then Americans are just more racists than their pretend.

July 24, 2008 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  9. A recovering Republican

Gosh, the polls vary slightly each week. What a surprise. Listen up boys and girls: This election will go down to the wire, and it will decided only on election day. the polls, as well as the actual vote will be close as have been the votes for the last several elections. The polls become news only when an unexpected and significant trend develops and is maintained. This is more non news that is no news.

10 years sober.

July 24, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  10. Progressive

All I can say is that I'm bamboozled at the ignorance of this nation. I'm speechless that there is even a competition between McSame and Obama. What a failure in the senses of the American people.

July 24, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  11. jane molloy

To all of you cynics out there, don't you think it's time to feel at least a little hopeful about your future?. Let's face it, It can't get any worse! When the country has a chance to change direction, and in this country we are able to, we should embrace it, not talk of Kool-Aid. Sen Mc Cain is a fine man, but Sen Obama represents an open mind, and the ability to embrace others knowledge and experience in their areas. This is the thinking of John Adams, and all the other notable Presidents. This is a golden opportunity to show the world that we are not as short sighted as we seem... For those of you who actually leave this country, and actually talk to foreign citizens, you will know what this means. The rest of you, give up the tours and the cruises, you might actually learn something. The US is not only what we think it is because WE say so. AND VOTE!!!!!

July 24, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  12. YES WE CAN

How on earth someone could choose McCain over Obama is simply terrifying. Our country needs psychiatric help.

July 24, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  13. J.S.

Of course, he's ahead in yur unbiased poll. Maybe, Substance will take over Glitz soon and Obama will fall

July 24, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  14. EDW

Jason L,
    Our interest in Isreal is this; if you are a enemy to God's chosen people you are an enemy to God. I'd rather not risk it myself, so I'm cool with being an allie to Isreal.

July 24, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  15. no McCain!

I'm sick of these polls, let's wait until the election.

Obama '08

July 24, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  16. Arden

Sen. Obama's trip abroad has already made the United States look stronger and given our people something to hope for. When he comes home all he has to do is focus on the economy, go back to the heartland and make the voters understand that he does have a plan to put them back to work, that there will be health care and come up with an idea to help the gas crunch. With this in mind Sen. Obama will be our next President.

July 24, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  17. karen

So would he support the death penalty for someone that beat to death and adult member of his family with a hammer?

July 24, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  18. Ryan Murphy

When people site Glen Beck and Lou Dobbs I honestly crack up. These are two morons that got on TV just by saying things that contradict rational thought. They argue for the sake of arguing, and half the time I do not think they believe in what they are saying. The best word to describe these clowns is Pessimistic...they only see happiness in saying that...every single thing everyone is doing is failed, faulty, or flat out stupid.

Newsflash- No one likes you. Go back to your cynical ways and stop making America depressed. We want the truth, but there is more hope our there than you give credit for. America's youth is not as incompetant as many would believe. Come election time you will hear our voices, and once you see real change in America over the next 4-8 years, you will learn to respect our optomism.

July 24, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  19. Biffington, Biff

honestly,
    after the last 7 1/2 years...

i can't understand why there is a single republican left in this country.

as history has repeatedly proven

there are only two kinds of republicans;

millionaires..... and suckers.

But go ahead guys.... vote against your own best intersts... again.. (it has worked out so well for you so far, right?

July 24, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  20. Ken

A different Ken above says: "I heard he made the blind, see and the deaf, hear." I'm waiting for Obama to make the stupid, smart. But there's only so much you can do with anybody who would consider voting for a [R] in this election.

July 24, 2008 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  21. Kerouac

The first Bush presided over a poor economy.The second Bush installment made things worse. And I don't care what the spin doctors say, this all started after January 2000. People have died in a war that should have been opposed, then directed toward afganistan, where the real problems are. People are losing their homes at a rate not seen since the great depression of the 1930's, and still there are people in the news media trying to shove another Republican down everyones throat. Please! Give me a break..

July 24, 2008 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  22. Tom

"I have a McCain sign in my window at home. Others in my area like McCain as well, but are afraid to show it because according to many news souces if you don't vote for Obama you are a racist or just flat out dumb."

I had a Hillary sticker on my car and I heard SEVERAL people call me racist, and my Hillary Sign in front of my house was stolen or thrown in the trash 5 times... Because of that I'm voting for McCain and there is NO WAY I can put up a McCain sign, I might get shot.

Vote McCain From Oregon!

July 24, 2008 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  23. Ace

Things arent looking to well for "McBush"

Obama 08

July 24, 2008 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  24. McCain 286 - Obama 252

The Bradley effect is considered to be about 8-10% in this election, so in real terms McCain is leading. More good news: McCain does far better in the electoral college than in a straight poll. I may need to adjust my tagline upwards!

July 24, 2008 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  25. Laidetea

Obama is loved by all he visits. The World has shown much enthusiam since Obama visit. He is a Matriarch of all times.

July 24, 2008 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |