July 24th, 2008

Poll: 'Sharp reversal' for Obama with Latino voters

A new poll out Thursday shows strong support for Sen. Barack Obama among Latinos.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - A new poll released Thursday shows overwhelming support from Latinos for Sen. Barack Obama over Sen. John McCain.

Obama's approval rating with registered Latino voters, the nationwide Pew Hispanic Center poll found, is at 66 percent versus 23 percent favoring McCain.

Obama's "strong showing in this survey represents a sharp reversal in his fortunes from the primaries, when Obama lost the Latino vote to Hillary Clinton by a margin of nearly 2-to-1," according to Pew Hispanic Center associate director Mark Hugo Lopez.

Obama's favorability among Latinos is slightly up from a Gallup Poll summary of surveys taken in May, which showed Obama with 62 percent of Latino voters nationwide, compared with 29 percent for McCain.

"He now appears to be even more popular than Hillary Clinton among Latinos," Lopez said.

Full Story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Latinos
  1. rafael

Poor McCain can't get a break. Except for his hip... LOL!

July 24, 2008 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  2. OKAY SERIOUSLY

well its about time.

July 24, 2008 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  3. America for Obama

Of course they are voting for Obama. McCain is racist through and through. Not very many senators have a record of voting against the Latinos as often as McCain has. McCain is a pure bigot. He could care less about blacks, hispanics, and hech even poor whites!!! He only panders to them to try to steal their vote but they are seeing right through his BS and are shifting towards Obama. McCain wouldn't even speak at the NAACP until he secured the nomination, it's obvious to anyone who isn't senile that he is only speaking at the NAACP now to pander the black vote. What an idiot!

OBAMA 2008!!!

July 24, 2008 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  4. BV

It's comforting to note that there is such support from Latinos. New polls show that Latinos are behind Obama and the young voters are behind Obama so it seems pretty clear that we have a problem with some older stick in the mud generation who only do what they've been doing for years on end because that 's what their Ma's and Pa's did. They can't wake up and realize the significance of change and how badly this country needs it.
    Now, will someone explain to me why the polls say over and over that most Republicans are NOT excited about voting for their candidate, yet they still are going to do so? IS IT BECAUSE HE'S NOT THE RIGHT MAN FOR THE JOB? He's too much like Bush? He doesn't display the mental apptitude needed to be a President? He's likely to mis-say something or mis-remember something at a time of great importance? That he said himself the only way to gain peace is thru strengh? Could you Republicans please tell me why you're not excited about your candidate?
    I just don't understand, because I've been reading all that I can on both candidates and I'm very excited to be supporting Senator Obama.

July 24, 2008 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  5. Emma, San Jose, CA

Berkeley Square Nightingale: You seem deranged.

July 24, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  6. Robert

Having been raised in Southern California, I found Latinos to be intelligent and hard working. I think Latinos realize, as the rest of the country does, that we cannot keep running with the same old Republican Political thinking that got this country into the mess that it is in now.
    Obama brings a smart new political outlook and has sound proven judgement that will get this country back on track at home and improve our image in the rest of the world.

July 24, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  7. Calling on Independents, TX

Hello Independents:
    I am calling each and everyone of you to do the right thing in this election, because I am also an Independent. I can understand why a republican would vote for McCain. I am having a very tough time understanding someone who is a true Independent will have any questions after having seen and heard both candidates. The difference is so obvious that you don't need to spend more than 5 minutes listening to McCain that he should not get your vote. I would have still votted for Obama even if the the candidates had switched their Parties. Come on lets do it!
    OBAMA 08 to bring this country back on track!

July 24, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  8. NJ_Latinos_For_Obama

I knew that our people are much smarter than what others give us credits for.

NYC-Tri-State area is Obama Country....

Hispanos unidos for CHANGE WE CAN BELIEVE IN.

OBAMA 08

July 24, 2008 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  9. Bukky

The choice is between Obama and McCain... what did you expect. This should be how it looks nation wide... Maybe the "brown/black" devide is not what it is cracked up to be.

People (white dems) say that there lack of support is not about race but about experience. But why is it that Obama is leading among every major or minor minority groups by huge gaps. But only small leads with white people. Even dems the voted for hillary are STILL saying they will vote McCain ( I dont care who you are but that make no !@#$%^& SENSE... I am not saying this is racism or prejudice... mearly discomfort. White people are more uncomfortable with his race than any other group. I'm not faulting anyone... but dont lie to yourself about it.

Ask yourself... If you supported Hillary and now supprt McCain... what on his platform drew you to him. What about his plans for this country makes you want to vote for him...?

July 24, 2008 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  10. Desmond Sequeira

It is very good to see that Latinos finally recognize that OBAMA is really the one who shares their life experience and their concerns. The world already realizes this. Soon, all of the USA also will.

July 24, 2008 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  11. Debbie

It's time for America and American's to be able to hold their heads up high – both at home and on the International stage – Obama, with the help of the country will help make that happen.
    It does make a difference what other countries think of the States, without a positive international reputation how can you seek to have a positive influence in the world.
    It's time to clean house and get back on track – we can do it, if we all pull together and work as a team to get take this country back from the big wigs in Washington to WE THE PEOPLE!

July 24, 2008 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  12. Barry

Duh!! It was always like this, but the MSM wanted Obama to have a "Latino problem", so they probably skewed the earlier results. I wouldn't doubt that the current results are probably higher than what they are saying.

July 24, 2008 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  13. Syl

Not this Latina! No Hillary as Vice Pres, no obama vote from me.

July 24, 2008 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  14. Jamaal kansas

what is funny is that the same people that will vote for Mcbush is the same people that he despises he don't care about anyone that works a regular 9 to 5 Barack Obama is our last hope America vote for you well being

July 24, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  15. tedious898

gary July 24th, 2008 11:33 am ET

YOUR RIGHT THE LATINOS ARE SMART. THEY KNOW THE BEST WAS HRC. OBAMA AND THE DNC MADE SURE SHE WOULDN'T BE IN THE RACE
    ****************

You PUMApathetics amaze me. Every American should be complaining about the current failed administration. Instead all you very uninformed, bitter, tragically frustrated and disappointed, (not to insult) weak politically minded individuals can say is: we were cheated.

Get over it already. Your candidate did not win! Heck I voted for Gore and Kerry and both lost to the guy currently in the white house. I honestly thought both Gore and Kerry were cheated. So...guess what I've learned to live with goofy and darth vader this past 7.5 years.

No more of that please....unless you are so dumb you want more. By all means – McCain's your man

July 24, 2008 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  16. Michelle

As a proud Latina... I will do everything I can to promote the best man to my people! Fired up and Ready to go for Obama!

July 24, 2008 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  17. Carla

Only the misinformed Latinos, might vote for McCain.
    The hatred towards immigrants in general (not just illegals) has grown so much during this administration, it's really sad.
    Plus the Economy, Health Care, War in Iraq, etc.
    Who wants a continuation of these policies????

July 24, 2008 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  18. Independent in Iowa

Bukky: "Ask yourself… If you supported Hillary and now supprt McCain… what on his platform drew you to him. What about his plans for this country makes you want to vote for him…?"

The democratic party thinks they can dictate to us who we have to vote for. McCain will not get my vote – he's just too old and out of touch. Obama will not be pushed down my throat either. I'll be writing in Hillary in November. Obama didn't win by a landslide by any means and if the democratic party's rules followed those of the republicans or even the general election, Hillary would be the nominee.

PUMA!

Also – I finally figured out where Obama got his "Yes we can" logo – anyone seen the Nutty Professor recently?! Eddie Murphy's impersonation of Richard Simmons is HISTARICAL! And, the line he uses sounds very familiar.

I'm a pony, I'm a pony ... my calves are burning!!

July 24, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  19. James Hussein, SC

Vote for McSurge
    Vote for McSurge
    Vote for McSurge
    Vote for McSurge
    Vote for McSurge
    Vote for McSurge
    Vote for McSurge

July 24, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  20. Nova from NV

Who were paying for the polls? The Obama campaign?

July 24, 2008 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  21. Ilona Hussein Proud Canadian

Nightingale!

Way to go nightingale.
    =================

YOU HAVE SUCCEEDED IN SHOWING us what is meant by THE POT CALLING THE KETTLE BLACK!

Now please do us a favour AND TAKE YOUR COMMENTS to the PUMA NETWORK!

THANK YOU LATINOS!

Thank you for realizing that John McCain is NOT FOR LATINOS, even though he tries to WOO YOU RIGHT LEFT AND CENTER!

LATINOS Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeease, show John McCain that you are not THE GULLIBLE RACE THAT HE SEEMS TO THINK YOU ARE John McCain IS FOR JOHN McCAIN ONLY, PERIOD AND FULL STOP!!

LATINOS, PLEASE START POSTING AND SHOWING YOUR SUPPORT FOR BARACK!

THANK YOU LATINOS!

July 24, 2008 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  22. john williams san diego, ca.

a sad day when the latino vote can influence an American election..They have for years corrupted Mexico and now spread their culture slowly through our nation..Los Angeles and San Diego are lost causes and soon all of Arizona. BUILD the fence and DEPORT.

July 24, 2008 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  23. Francisco in NY

I'm not sure what latinos they polled. I don't know of any who supports WhamBama and I certainly don't myself. He does not represent us – all he wants is our votes. As a latino I will do everything in my power to see that WhamBbama is defeated !!!

July 24, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  24. Kathryn Irby - Metairie, LA

I'm not at all surprised! "Ask them to vote for Obama, and they will come".

July 24, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  25. Peter of Oregon

All it really takes is a brief look at John Keating 5 McCain's current and past policies. And a look into his history of family life, e.g. cheating on his ex-wife for latinos to know he's not for them, or for this country.

July 24, 2008 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |