July 25th, 2008

Obama sidesteps Bush criticism

Obama and Sarkozy held a press conference Friday.
Obama and Sarkozy held a press conference Friday.

PARIS, France (CNN) - Sen. Barack Obama said Friday he was avoiding criticizing President Bush on his trip through Europe.

Speaking to reporters, the Democratic presidential candidate cited a tradition that "you don't criticize a sitting president while overseas," adding that "it's very important" that U.S. foreign policy is presented "in one voice."

"I can say affirmatively an effective U.S. foreign policy will be based on our ability not only to project power, but also to listen and to build consensus. And the goal of an Obama administration in foreign policy would be, obviously to act on behalf of the interests of the security of the United States, but also to listen to our allies," he said.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Kevin

Only a racist would choose Mccain over Obama after this trip.

July 25, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  2. Neil K, Lake Forest CA

I doubt we could have expected the same from Senator McCain, had he been overseas with a Democratic president in the White House.

July 25, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  3. Leroy

He didn't have a problem criticizing America in Berlin. Hypocrite!

McCain 08!

July 25, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  4. Xavier, Saint Louis, MO

Obama is smart and very considerate. The whole world knows Bush is the biggest f_ck-up in U.S. history! Just look at us now. The whole world hate us and rightfully so.

July 25, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  5. Gary in VA

There are a bunch of Haters out there. First McCain insisted Obama go to Iraq. He even had a day counter of how many days he hadn't been there. Obama goes there add a few countries to the trip and is overwhelming welcomed and adored by the other countries. Now McCain become a Obama stalker noting his every move. In my opionion Obama was a huge success. He displayed statesmenship and represented the United States of American very well. Did he look presidential? Of course he did. The American public was wondering if he could fill those shoes. He filled them very well and the shoes looked better on his feet that anyone could every image. Remember Senator Obama is a very smart and highly educated man. He has simply beat them at their own game POLITICS!!!!!

July 25, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  6. EBC

YOU'RE a good man Sen. Obama because I would have criticized him my butt off. George Bush is an idiot of all idiots. AND John McCain is just LIKE HIM!! They are two peas in a pod of cluelessness.

You definitely are the better man because I would have lowered the boom on his behind!!

July 25, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  7. Barack the Vote in RI

This man doesn't let his opinion of someone (however disagreable) interfere with his respect for the presidential office......sorry we can't say the same for warmonger McCain or ignorant arse Bush.....America needs respectable leadership....something we haven't had in a long time.

Obama 08/12

July 25, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  8. Will in Richmond, VA

Judgment.

Say it with me...... J U D G M E N T.

Someone is showing it, and someone is angry about it.

July 25, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  9. Licensed to Vote

Can we vote already?

Comparing Obama to McShame is like comparing a Ferrari to a Pinto..

July 25, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  10. Tim

Why are ny comments always awaiting consideration? Too anti McLame I guess!!!

July 25, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  11. Val, Atlanta, Ga

Rae, NEWSFLASH America has not be taken care of for the last 8 years and if you vote for McSane apparently you don't have a problem not being taken care of. McCain went to Canada, Coloumbia etc and was not preceived like that because he too alone with Bush is not liked. Don't hate come out of the Bushes. And if by chance you are a woman I can not believe you would vote for a man that has very low concerns about woman I wish his ex wife would come out and just say how he treated her and cheated on her. Please less get someone with some morals to represent the USA.

July 25, 2008 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  12. Rudy NYC

I know!
    I know!
    I know the answer!

His flag pin is upside down.
    Oh?
    That's not it?
    Let me look for something else.

July 25, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  13. w.l. jones

May be some people have to understand the basic principle of law to say what you mean and mean what you say without offending anybody. He does do a good job projection our american value in a deplomicy setting and repect our president.

July 25, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  14. CDavis

Obama was great he knows the game that the new media is going to play and he did not fall into it.

July 25, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  15. EBC

I don't get you Obama haters...

One minute your boy McCain is complaining about Sen. Obama's absence overseas, AND now that he's there YOU ALL ARE NOTHING BUT A BUCH OF WHINNERS complaining about how "Presidential" Sen. Obama appears overseas, how BIG his ego is, etc. etc.

Geeez, which is it? I mean, jealousy is so unbecoming Sen. McCain. I mean Sen. McCain would sell his wife if he could get 200,000 people to come out and hear him speak!! Let's keep it REAL people.

I say, GOD BLESS HIM. I WANT a Presidential Candidate who "WALKS THE WALK"... not someone who does nothing but complain and goes on a childish attack on his opponent rather than making his own "case" on the issues!!!

When 200,000 people show up to hear you speak and are waving the American Flag, I say GOD BLESS Sen. Obama. At LEAST the man is trying to build relationships with all our foreign leaders!! Good for him. I give him kuddos. Bottom line, John McCain would give anything to have 200, 000 people show up to hear him speak. He can't even get 50,000 people to show up, hell, he can't even fill up room. Let's keep it REAL people.

You haters are just pissed off that Sen. Obama's trip was BRILLIANT and he comes out looking pretty DAM GOOD. That's WHY you all are talking CRAP now, because you all expected Sen. Obama to fall on his face!! NOT!!

STOP YOUR WHINNING!!!!

July 25, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  16. ex republican

Why is the oil spill in the gulf being covered up by the media? To protect mcCANE?

July 25, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  17. Cheryl

The Republicans have one strategy only – no plans how to save the country from the terrible mess the Republicans created themselves – only the same tired, old strategy to bury their opponent in personal attacks. Most of them lies.

Is this how you want your country run? With deceit and manipulation? Wouldn't some integrity be a breath of fresh air?

Finally someone offers another choice, a better way. If the American people fall for this disgusting tactic again after eight years of this bs, then they deserve to be scammed by the Republicans and their corporate masters forever.

July 25, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  18. Selena

Take away his teleprompter and you'll see the real Obama .
    Waffleing and uh... , uh... and not finding the words to express himself.
    He doesn't have an original thought of his own , speeches are written for him and it is his campaign that stages the media events and tells him what to say.
    Obama loves the hype around him and is getting more and more arrogant , because he knows that he has fooled a lot of people.
    Europeans are not as easily swayed by political rhetoric..,

July 25, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  19. Cole

The man can't win for losing. If he would have just criticized BUSH or McLame, you idiots would have been taking bad about have for that. Leave our candidate alone and help yours get his facts straight please!!!!

July 25, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  20. nina

I am afraid that O. is messing more. He is so naive, so too young – no experience. It is painful. He did not bother how to treat Europeans, Middle Easteners. People keep distance – physical distance, he is embracing way too much. These politicians are not his family, relatives.
    I do not know what to think about this anymore.

July 25, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  21. Debbie

For all of you who have made no statements without any substance against Obama, just where did you get your misinformation? The MEDIA maybe??

All I read is na-na-na-na-boo boo, Obama is not Presidential and, you would know this, how? You haven't bothered listening to his speaches. You would rather get your information from e-mails and rely upon it as the god's truth.

All I know is that you would rather back someone who voted consistantly AGAINST our veterans and against the G.I. Bill. That speaks volumns about your supporting our troops.

I honestly don't care who you vote for and all I ask is that you educate yourselves on both candidates and vote according to which ever candidate reflects your values and concerns.

The rest of us don't want a repeat of your last decision.

July 25, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  22. Shawn T

One big reason a lot of Americans will not vote for Obama is because they don't have the intellectual capacity to understand what he says:

""I can say affirmatively an effective U.S. foreign policy will be based on our ability not only to project power, but also to listen and to build consensus. And the goal of an Obama administration in foreign policy would be, obviously to act on behalf of the interests of the security of the United States, but also to listen to our allies,"

Huh?? Duh...where's my bible and 12 guage.

July 25, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |