July 25th, 2008

Obama sidesteps Bush criticism

Obama and Sarkozy held a press conference Friday.
Obama and Sarkozy held a press conference Friday.

PARIS, France (CNN) - Sen. Barack Obama said Friday he was avoiding criticizing President Bush on his trip through Europe.

Speaking to reporters, the Democratic presidential candidate cited a tradition that "you don't criticize a sitting president while overseas," adding that "it's very important" that U.S. foreign policy is presented "in one voice."

"I can say affirmatively an effective U.S. foreign policy will be based on our ability not only to project power, but also to listen and to build consensus. And the goal of an Obama administration in foreign policy would be, obviously to act on behalf of the interests of the security of the United States, but also to listen to our allies," he said.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. kcmookie

I am thrilled for the first time in my life to be PROUD to vote for the next

President of the United States. In the past I was forced to choose between the lesser of two evils, no more. Senator Obama makes me proud every time he opens his mouth. My soul has been hanging its head in shame for the past 7.5 years, and I am glad once the current administration is no longer in power, I will once again be proud to say "Yes I am an American".
    I will always love my country, but have been forced to be ashamed because of the way the current administration has conducted itself.

I am shocked and disgusted that a number of people will be voting for McCain, either out of fear, prejudice, or the long standing "Democrats=Higher Taxes" party line. When will you recognize the drain on our economy and our society of having to perpetuate Bad Government? I do not want higher taxes just as I do not care for more social programs in our government. What I do care for is competency and judgement from the highest office in the land. Haven't we had enough bafoonery, is John McCain really very different from GWB? Please people, vote for our future. OBAMA 08

July 25, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  2. California Voter

And this is supposed to be a "listening trip"? If someone didn't know the election had not taken place they would think Obama was the president of the United States!

July 25, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  3. Scott L

Isn't he the "presumptive presidential candidate"???

the media already has him in the Oval Office. They will look stupid when he is crushed in November.

July 25, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  4. hillbilly,arkansas

at least he didnt call bush an appeaser.we demand impeachment for bush!

July 25, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  5. James Hussein, SC

Too bad the PRESIDENT could NOT be as respectful when he visited Israel.

It's O.K. to bad-mouth the BLACK guy, but don't talk anything negative about the WHITE guy: even if it were true.

July 25, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  6. McCain is still Running?

Incredible what this man has to take to become president, keep knocking away at him only makes him stronger. Best Politician out there hands down, unstoppable.

July 25, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  7. Texun

Obama is observing the niceities of American politics, while McCain himnself is accusing him of treason and is using a shady spokesman to claim that Obama would stand aside and permit another holocaust. For shame, McShame. He is turning out to be a bitter and nasty old man. Curious that he would appoint a woman as his economic/other issues spokesperson, after she had been fired as CEO of Hewlett-Packard. Some expert! Right up there with Gramm, a political operative in the pay of a Swiss bank that is under federal investigation. If this is the top talent McCain can attract, that tells us a lot about how his administration would be staffed! More K Streer losers.

July 25, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  8. M. Townsend

- Maliki whom Bush installed endorses Obama's plan for Iraq
    - Merkel another conservative and German chancellor endorses his world vision and listens to his demands for more partnership and more troops to Afganistan.
    - Sarkozy, france's conservative president and Bush friend endorses Obama's American-Europe vision (that could actually help us economically and militarily).

Isnt this guy a brilliant negotiator at least? Is anyone still thinking its a bad idea he at least try to talk down our enemies as REagan did in the 80s?

Meanwhile, five days after releasing a documentary criticizing Obama for flip-flopping on Iraq, the McCain campaign argues that Obama is too inflexible on Iraq.

July 25, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  9. Allen, Jacksonville, Florida

One voice in foreign policy?

Uh...so I guess the previous four days of the trip never happened?

July 25, 2008 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  10. Rj

Criticism from BUSH..... LMAO!!!!!!!

July 25, 2008 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  11. Bulldog

Good job Obama. We need a moral leader for once.

As far as McCain his latest redefining of the surge is just way to laughable. After getting caught in a lie he changes the definition of the surge by saying there was a surge before the surge. He talked to the General at the time who was permforming a "surge" on his own before President Bush even considered the "surge". At the same time McCain stills takes credit for the "surge". Confused yet? So is McCain.

July 25, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  12. JIM...TX

He won't say anything while abroad but I wish when he gets back he'd just kick the crap out of McCain AND Bush :)

July 25, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  13. Den

Obama will continue the leftist agenda to promote infanticide, remove our parental rights and educate our children that sexual perversity is "normal"... keep that socialist, radical extremist OUT of the White House, for God's sake.

July 25, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  14. hillbilly,arkansas

bush should be sitting next to karadzik.....

July 25, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  15. Jonathan

I find it funny that people think Obama is going to raise taxes. Any economist not working for McCain, even if they don't like his policies, will tell you otherwise. Obama understands diplomacy and manners.

For those of you that say he criticized the entire US in Berlin – BS. More like he praised the US, but whatever you say.

OBAMA '08

July 25, 2008 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  16. Mark

HOW COULD YOU NOT LOVE THIS MAN. THE WAY OBAMA PATS AND TOUCHES PEOPLE MAKES HIM LIKABLE .

OBAMA…….08

Easy Obama is a fraud.

Of course he is loved in Europe. They want him to be the President so they can walk all over him. Finally the Europeans will have someone they can bully and tell what to do.

Great.

July 25, 2008 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  17. NPA

Wow! I saw that moment, and I could not have been more proud of Sen. Obama. Wow! Wow! Wow! Even the republicans have to admire that moment - even FoxNoise has to take their hats off. That was a proud moment for America.

July 25, 2008 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  18. HOPE

YOU GO BOY THE PEOPLE WILL BE THERE IN NOVEMBER

July 25, 2008 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  19. tiffany jackson

hey obama haters check out this: Ramsussen polling from last night- obama jumps from 1% lead to a 5% lead, gallup 2-6% lead- suck on those eggs LoSERs

July 25, 2008 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  20. outsider

during the primary, each time hillary crys she get a boost, same is now happening with macbush, he complains of the media love for obama, he is crying and very sad, but he has to be very careful with his health, sadness is bad

July 25, 2008 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  21. Oh

I don't know about you but I don't want a man touching and patting on me there Mel. Fact is that he isn't President yet. And tell me again how long he has been a Senator?

July 25, 2008 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  22. Marj,Paso Robles, Cal

Dumbama is no position to criticize anyone.

July 25, 2008 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  23. Tim

Thank you Senator Obama for showing how its done. Oh it will be lost on McOld and Bush, but we appreciate it.

July 25, 2008 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  24. Jeffrey G. Brown

If Obama was Pres. the Republican Scumbags wouldn't be so kind!

July 25, 2008 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  25. Guyver from Canada

I have never seen a bigger egomaniac in my life. Obama acts like he is already the Supreme Commander of the Milky Way galaxy.

I hope you guys expose this imposter before it is too late. Is it just me or do others get the feeling of some sisister undertones when listening to speak.

July 25, 2008 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |