July 25th, 2008

Sarkozy: Obama’s my buddy

Sarkozy called the Democratic nomination for Obama.
Sarkozy called the Democratic nomination for Obama.

(CNN) – Before Barack Obama arrived in Paris, French President Nicolas Sarkozy was already cozying up to the presumptive Democratic nominee.

“Obama? He’s my buddy,” Sarkozy told French newspaper Le Figaro in an interview first noted by Politco.

“Unlike my diplomatic advisors, I never believed in Hillary Clinton’s chances,” he added, “I always said Obama would be nominated.”

The article says the two first met when Sarkozy visited Washington in 2006 as France’s Minister of the Interior and he has “very good memories” of the encounter.

John McCain visited the Elysee Palace in March after locking up his party’s nomination and often speaks highly of the conservative pro-American French president on the campaign trail.

Sarkozy has not endorsed either candidate but says that an Obama victory would “validate” his efforts to bring the two countries closer together. The pair are meeting for an hour and then will address the press. Le Figaro points out that Sarkozy’s office is trying to keep the visit relatively low-key.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Mark

I love my country and am a disabled vet who proudly served in desert storm. We seem to forget that we are basiclly the youngest country out there, virtually a baby when compared to the long history of other countries. Have we not learned anything. If we want to continue being the great force that we are we better greatly improve in the area of diplomacy. We have big economic problems here but as "no man is an island" no one country is the world. We need allies. Anyone who thinks we can take on the rest of the world alone is nieve.

July 25, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  2. beverly

mccain is jealous of senator obama, mccain see the obama is everything that he not, he younger, he's in great shape, he well liked he has new ideas instead of the same old things, he cares for all citizen in the counrtry. seems like the republicans are a elite group of people, they look out for there own. they don't give a hoot about the average working person, in order for the average working person to have some standard of living things must change (OBAMA 08 )

July 25, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  3. Obama Library

Help us by contributing your images and text to TheObamaLibrary.com

July 25, 2008 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  4. Leroy

Barry should feel right at home in France.

Enjoy the freedom fries.

McCain 08!

July 25, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  5. Yes, It's True

Looks like Obama has got the foreign relations department covered by a longshot.

July 25, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  6. Watermann

Additional note: THE WORSE IS STILL TO COME
    USA citizens, do you really think you will overcome this all on your own in this globalized? You must be kidding. Please try a look over your border lines and make yourself familiar with the rest of the world. The prize for food, gas, your home made war, will keep on rising. Did you listen today to the news regarding the mortgage crisis? You have lived for to long in your "splendid isolation"

July 25, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  7. Joe in NJ

I am not going to vote for a President based on who the world wants us to elect. I am going to vote for the person who I believe will benefit America the most, and I'm still not sure who that is.

July 25, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  8. Linda

Just what I want a President who is best friends with a socialist. Next thing you know OB will want the US to join the EU. If folks think the Europeans are so great they ought to just pick up and move over ther with them.

July 25, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |