July 28th, 2008

Clinton to embark on 'extensive' travel for Obama

Obama and Clinton made a public display of unity last month.
Obama and Clinton made a public display of unity last month.

(CNN) - It was just over one month ago Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama made a much-hyped public display of unity at a New Hampshire campaign stop. But more than 30 days later, the New York Democrat has rarely been seen at Obama's side, and she's only attended a handful of events on his behalf.

The reason for her ostensible absence from the campaign trail? She has an important day job, said her former campaign chairman Terry McAuliffe.

"Since that meeting in Unity, New Hampshire, the Senate has been in session," McAuliffe told MSNBC Monday. “I've tried to get her to travel and do a couple of events. And she hasn't been able to do those yet."

Related: Clinton turns attention back to Senate

Still in an election year where many Democrats feel so much is at stake, Clinton's relatively minimal public campaign role to date has been noticeable. It also comes amid continued resistance from many of her former supporters towards Obama's candidacy. Despite choreographed and carefully produced pictures of the two former rivals standing side by side last month, many of Clinton's top donors have yet to sign checks over to Obama, and some have even openly said they may not vote for him.

According to a CNN/Opinion Research Corp. poll released earlier this month, Clinton supporters who say they plan to vote for presumptive Republican nominee Sen. John McCain are down from a month ago, but those who say they plan to vote for Obama are also down, and a growing number say they may not vote at all.

Watch: CNN's Mark Preston talks with angry Clinton supporters

But McAuliffe, one of Clinton's most aggressive supporters during the prolonged Democratic primary race, said the New York Democrat has been working vigorously for Obama behind the scenes, and is about to assume a more public role in the campaign.

"I don't like to relay conversations between Senator Obama and Senator Clinton - I know they have an extensive travel schedule for her," he said. "The requests have been piling up. Hillary Clinton has done more in her position of anybody that has come in second before. She's been working. She's been making calls. As soon as she gets done with her senate deals, she's going to hit the campaign trail."

Meanwhile, an Obama source tells CNN's Gloria Borger Clinton will hit the trail for Obama in three or four battleground states next month.

"She will do anything she can to help Barack Obama become the next president," he added.

1. linda

I just can't warm up to Obama. He's so very painfully unproven. Plus he has too many odd connections (the wacko Tony Rezko, the wackier Louis Farrakhan, and the wackiest Jeremiah Wright).

July 28, 2008 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  2. ASwede

In the last election for Congress, Hillary was more concerned with her own future than helping Democrats winning more seats. Obama, to his credit, did that. I really believe that the Clinton's could have made a difference, but they choose not to contribute.

July 28, 2008 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  3. Harvey in Va

obama pick Hillary for the VP position or PUMA////PERIOD

July 28, 2008 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  4. Obama all the way 08/12

Jeff and puma-pac since you like to waste your time/we know who are and what you represent which is MC Nothing you can take your mask off now your SURGE ISNT WORKING not this time.

July 28, 2008 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  5. Hail Mary Hillary

Leave it to the BO camp to come up with a ageist reason to not vote for McCain, don't consider the person and his extensive track record of service just write him off because of how he looks. Hillary was too female for them and McCain is too old. I am sick of their prejudices. I was for Hillary, the most experienced candidate but since the DNC muscled her out of the picture I will vote for McCain the second best candidate because I love my country. The DNC does not inspire my loyalty with their threats and insults. BO can't afford to be seen with Hillary as he looks like an amateur next to her. There is no circumstance under which I will vote for BO for President, he has no experience and at this time in history we don't need a poseur for President .

July 28, 2008 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  6. Obama Supporter from Dallas, PA

All you former Hillary poor losers and you I'll vote for McCain rather than vote for Obama as well as others prejudiced by his race etc. should shape up and ask yourselves this question: Which candidate will do more for our country in the terrible shape that it is in today after 8 yers of Republican control? We have a sluggish economy, a raging war in Iraq and now a mounting threat in Afghanistan, extremely high gas and food prices, home foreclosures mounting daily, thousands losing their jobs daily and all you fools can think about is yourselves!
    Why not stand up for your country and get over your pride and prejudices, and start thinking about who will do the most for the problems American is now facing. Even the foreign people embraced Obama on his European tour–what's wrong with you Americans?

July 28, 2008 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  7. Ambrose Smith, Borrego Springs, California

To those Clinton supporters who won't vote Obama no matter what Clinton says:

Would you vote Obama is Clinton herself went to your home and asked you over a cup of coffee?

I'll bet you would.

Well, she can't come over to everyone's house for a cup of joe so you need to ake her word that she wants you to vote Obama.

Or do you not trust her judgment??

July 28, 2008 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  8. Bob Indianapolis, IN

PUMA- you idiots need to get over it...the rest of America has...

July 28, 2008 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  9. Blue

Time for the Obamabots to start disrepecting Hillary while demanding she helps Obama.

No who's the real whinners?

July 28, 2008 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  10. HeStillWontWin

He wanted her gone so she's gone. Let him win on his own and this way he cannot blame her or Bill.

The bottom line is that he'll lose come November.....Why? Well because he's empty and full of nothing but talk. He took his supporters money and traveled and then said it was to "shore up foreign policy experience". In two days? C'mon.

July 28, 2008 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  11. Ed in Canada

I agree with Alex NYC. Nobody's saying "What happened to Romney or Huckabee?"

July 28, 2008 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  12. CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK

Good one jeff, you are hilarious.

July 28, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  13. Jimmy268

It amazes me the dumb loyalty that people show to a party. People did not like Obama but will vote for him anyway just to be loyal to the party? How naive can you be? This is why the 2 parties will control us forever.

July 28, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  14. Hillary supporter

I, and probably most Hillary supporters, will vote for Obama, because we like him and his ideas, and he will be a far better president than McCain. However, the best change possible at this point would be to have not only Obama as president but also the woman who was the best candidate running this year as vice president. I have been a yellow dog Democrat all my life, but the party needs to understand that Democratic women are yearning for recognition and progress for their interests, too. So, every day when someone calls me from the Democratic party for another contribution, I tell them that the second $2300 I had planned to contribute to Hillary for the general campaign will be coming just as soon as the party and Obama announce that she will be the party's nominee for vice president.

July 28, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  15. Bob

She is helping McCain behind the scenes. Does anyone really believe she wants Barack to win?

July 28, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  16. I'm from NC

Don't complain

July 28, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  17. former republican white man from california for Obama

Jeff and Alex your comments are so crazy and alex pay closer attention Mitt Romney and Mike have been in the media and on the campaign trail alot!!!! especially Mitt Romney! Some people online read head line and never read the article then just post for the sake of spewing hatred and negativity.

July 28, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  18. John

It has ben SOOOO nice not hearing from Hillary or Bill for the last several weeks!!! Can't we just let her slide under a big rock and lick her wounds until next year? She lost, and she went out in a truly unprofessional and revealing manner. The less we see or hear from Hillary, the better!

July 28, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  19. La Chatte, Portland, OR

Eric- it's none of your business. You're in Canada, they country nobody really pays attention to!

PUMA is right! No Barry H. no matter what. He needs to dry behind the ears for a while, and even then, I'm not sure he'll ever figure out that you can't be all things to all people because it doesn't work and it makes you look stupid.

The "World Tour" was pathetic. Bambi's messianic complex rages out of control. Sieg heil, Buddy! Oh well, at least we've now seen him in a yalmuka. A shot in Buddhist robes and he'll have all the bases covered. Maybe he's really a Raelian!

July 28, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  20. bapnorm

I will be glad when the election is over.For me its not Obama but Nobama.I just don t believe him .

July 28, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  21. Melinda

I supported Senator Clinton in the primary. I now support Senator McCain. Go ahead, Obama supporters, start with the name callng. Let's see, I must be:

1.) Racist
    or
    2.) Stupid

Sorry, folks, it is my vote. i will cast it as I please. A little civil discourse would be much appreciated, rather that the hate vented toward McCain supporters. Yes, that is the way to allow us to see your way of thinking: insult us.

July 28, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  22. Independent in Iowa

I miss Mrs. Clinton but she's doing as she promised to do. She stepped back to help Obama.

July 28, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  23. Monica for Obama in Indiana

Jeff you need to google. Birdsong john mccain.

I really wish terry wouldn't talk so much and hillary needs to stay in the senate. There are others that can represent Obama better than hillary.

The whole clinton thing should move on and be done with it.

July 28, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  24. Bill in Minnesota

I am so angry with Obama. He visits Afganistan and does NOT even shake hands with the troops who lined up at the airport to meet him....just went right into the generals' VIP tent. Did not even talk to the troops. I am a Hillary fan forever but had decided to vote for Obama....not anymore. I don't know what to do. He is no Commander in Chief.

July 28, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  25. Dave

Jeff-

Comments like that only make me more prepared to live in another country. The arrogance of fools like you is only making me believe it is time for America to finally fall. Like Rome we have gotten to big for our own self and we are now not seeing the seriousness of the dilema we are in. I only hope this is temporary and americans will wake up and not be voting to be silly but honestly vote on who they think will run this country in this best manner. So America GROW UP! My sons future depends on it.

July 28, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |