July 28th, 2008

Clinton to embark on 'extensive' travel for Obama

Obama and Clinton made a public display of unity last month.
Obama and Clinton made a public display of unity last month.

(CNN) - It was just over one month ago Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama made a much-hyped public display of unity at a New Hampshire campaign stop. But more than 30 days later, the New York Democrat has rarely been seen at Obama's side, and she's only attended a handful of events on his behalf.

The reason for her ostensible absence from the campaign trail? She has an important day job, said her former campaign chairman Terry McAuliffe.

"Since that meeting in Unity, New Hampshire, the Senate has been in session," McAuliffe told MSNBC Monday. “I've tried to get her to travel and do a couple of events. And she hasn't been able to do those yet."

Related: Clinton turns attention back to Senate

Still in an election year where many Democrats feel so much is at stake, Clinton's relatively minimal public campaign role to date has been noticeable. It also comes amid continued resistance from many of her former supporters towards Obama's candidacy. Despite choreographed and carefully produced pictures of the two former rivals standing side by side last month, many of Clinton's top donors have yet to sign checks over to Obama, and some have even openly said they may not vote for him.

According to a CNN/Opinion Research Corp. poll released earlier this month, Clinton supporters who say they plan to vote for presumptive Republican nominee Sen. John McCain are down from a month ago, but those who say they plan to vote for Obama are also down, and a growing number say they may not vote at all.

Watch: CNN's Mark Preston talks with angry Clinton supporters

But McAuliffe, one of Clinton's most aggressive supporters during the prolonged Democratic primary race, said the New York Democrat has been working vigorously for Obama behind the scenes, and is about to assume a more public role in the campaign.

"I don't like to relay conversations between Senator Obama and Senator Clinton - I know they have an extensive travel schedule for her," he said. "The requests have been piling up. Hillary Clinton has done more in her position of anybody that has come in second before. She's been working. She's been making calls. As soon as she gets done with her senate deals, she's going to hit the campaign trail."

Meanwhile, an Obama source tells CNN's Gloria Borger Clinton will hit the trail for Obama in three or four battleground states next month.

"She will do anything she can to help Barack Obama become the next president," he added.

1. Sandy

To all of the angry Hillary supporters...

GROW UP

If you think voting for McCain is the smart thing to do, then you are really stupid. If you don't care about women's rights, gay rights and ending the war....
    Do some internet searches on one of McCains rape jokes from the 80's where the woman is raped by a gorilla. His punch line was that the woman did not care about her pain and rape, only where the gorilla was. If you have ever been raped, know someone that was raped that should be the one reason NOT to vote for McCain.
    I wonder if his wifeior children were raped by a gorilla if the joke would still be funny.

July 28, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  2. David K in New York, NY

Hillary is great, She is soing good work for thwe people of New York. But she will prove what agreat leader she is by getting her supporters to turn out and vote for Obama. If she can not do that then she is not much of a leader. Furthermore, if her supporters really think McCAin is a better choice than Obama then HRC totally failed in getting out her message.

Can anyone who supports Hillary actually support John McCain's (anti-choice) Republican agenda? One look at MCain's record and anyone who can read knows that Hillary supports positions much closer to Obama's.

The question is don't we really need a democratic who will fight for average Americans and what the country needs? The answer is obvious.

WE NUST ALL GET OUT AND VOTE FOR THE DEMOCRATIC NOMINEE!

July 28, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  3. Ted

Senator Clinton is doing her job in the Senate... as the majority of Democrats 'voted' her to do.

Can't have it both ways – either you want her or you don't. Obama can lose this one on his own and not drag Senator Clinton with him.

July 28, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  4. lois

long time democrat, I have tried to understand where Obama is coming from but I can't staying home in November if Hillary is not on the ticket

July 28, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  5. CC Atlanta

>Obama's using her to get votes but I'm not voting for him no matter what!!!

Well gee thanks Jeff – you've made your point. I hope you can sleep well at night when young men continue to die in the Middle East for a war that should have never taken place. Pat yourself on the back each time the death ticker goes up a click – you DID do the right thing – what's a few soldier's lives anyway, huh?

July 28, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  6. Not an Obama supporter

I may be one of those Clinton supporter who does not vote. Obama has not convinced me to vote for him. After the way the primaries ended, I don't feel like I can support him. His attitude was that all Clinton would automatically support him. It is not about being democrat or republican or whatever. It is about doing what is right. I am a conservative democrat but will not vote for a democrat if his or her values do not coincide with mine. The candidates we have for president really lack. They lack understanding and experience of what the American people are dealing with. Yes, Hillary lost, but that does not mean that we should move on to Barack.

July 28, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  7. George

Let's see. The demoncrats are still whining about the 2000 election. What makes you think anyone would stop whining about Hillary a few short weeks after she lost.

July 28, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  8. Elissa

I was a Hillary supporter and I really don't like Obama, but when it comes down to it, we need to look at the big picture. Who do you want choosing the next couple of Supreme Court Justices? I am voting for Obama.

July 28, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  9. M

If Hillary's supporters don't want to vote in November that's their choice. But if they are not voting because of sour grapes then they should get over it. She can try again in four or eight years if she likes. And it's true you aren't seeing too much of the former Republican candidates either. Why should she be any different?

July 28, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  10. Rebublican for Obama!

Go Hillary and urge your true and real supports to take your advice and back the next president – Mr Obama!

July 28, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  11. Felicia

I, along with millions of other loyal democrats will vote for McCain if Clinton is not the nominee! I will NEVER vote for a ticket that Obama is on!

July 28, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  12. Wanda jones

Hillary played all the cards against Obama and lost. I wonder if Obama would have lost with the 18m cracks would some dems insist that Hillary take him as her VP. i can surely tell you "NO" To you Jeff, who cares if you don't vote for OBAMA. Take your "Little Itty Bitty Tennie Wennie Tiny" vote and go in a closet and whine until the election is over. I promise you no one will miss you.

July 28, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  13. proud army and navy mom

Old girl was awfully silent when mcsenile attacked Sen Obama all last week. and where is Bill, anyways?

July 28, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  14. KMAN

I do hope Hillary will do some serious campaigning for Barack when the Seante is in recess, but as for her supporters claiming they will vote for McCain or not vote at all because of their petty narrow-mindedness ... I raise my middle finger in a salute to them all!

July 28, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  15. Larry/TX

I love Hilary and Bill, and i forgive them for their desperation and bitter tactic during the primaries. come on Hilary......we need you...america needs you. Step up to the plate

July 28, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  16. I Wonder

PUMA, will you quit your whining after the convention? Is that what you need to "let it go"? Your 2 million votes amount to nothing. Do you know why? Because now more than 5 million black Americans have a reason to vote where they didnt before. So, hush and go ahead and vote for McCain. I'm sure he will appreciate every little bit of help you offer.

July 28, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  17. Rob Kole

This is for me Obama biggest weekness, while it is probable he will be voted in as a change canidate unless the people who vote for Obama get the same t ype of people into the House and Senate, the day to day operation of the governement will not change and Obama will have no idea how to get things done in the House and Senate.

July 28, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  18. Janice

Don't vote McCain or Obama VOTE FOR CYNTHIA MCKINNEY

July 28, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  19. jack

Obama can win without the help of "the Clintons" and the mafia that surrounds them.

The canidate most like G.W. Bush is Hillary. An arrogrant self absorbed "its my turn, I'm entittled" contender to the throne that has proven that most Americans have had enough of both the Clintons and the Bushes.

She is pushing the PUMA's and hopes to get a chance in Denver to have her name placed in nomination so (she believes) she can steal from Obama what she believes was stolen from her. And if not she wants her money back. Like something she can return at Wal-Mart

July 28, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  20. SaneTexan

I would much rather have a Dem in the White House but Barack is a very weak candidate. I'll be staying home in November. The DNC and the media really screwed up with their bias towards Obama and the party (and nation) will probably pay for it in November.

July 28, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  21. Anne

The closer we get to the convention, the more I feel the need for
    VP Hillary Clinton. She will seal the deal for the Democrats.

July 28, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  22. George

*****WHERE IS THE JOHN EDWARDS NEWS?********

July 28, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  23. Chris11

She has no obligation to campaign for him. Plus she HAS been very busy in the senate if anyone has been paying attention... obviously she has much more important things to do than hold the junior senator's hand!

July 28, 2008 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  24. Campaign interview

Mcsurge: My friends, I know how to win wars, I know how to catch Bin Laden, I know the area and I know all the players, I know Prime Minister Al-Maliki, I knew Benazir Bhutto, I know General Petraeus and all our generals, I know Bin Laden, I know the surge – it is mobilizing additional troops for counter -insurgency and getting local Sunni tribes to denounce terrorists. I know all this my friends. We will win the war – I know how to win wars. I know how to turn economies around. (But I don't really understand much about the economy)

Journalist: This guy has a lot of experience! He knows every one!!

Voter: Journalist, can you please ask him to tell us, what he knows, and how he will use it to win the war, and how he knows Bin Laden, and how that will help him catch Bin Laden?? Please follow up, please!!

Mcsurge: I know all this my friends, just trust me...

Journalist: This guy is the real deal. He knows how to be CIC...!

July 28, 2008 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  25. Like the idea

Jeff, agree with you, do you not see him aging in front of the camera as it roles, feel kinda bad for him. But he is trying. We will see what the american people want. I am sure that I have confidence in the American people to be on top of it. And know a flake and the real thing. Experience comes with age and wisdom, McCain has that.

July 28, 2008 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |