July 28th, 2008

Clinton to embark on 'extensive' travel for Obama

Obama and Clinton made a public display of unity last month.
Obama and Clinton made a public display of unity last month.

(CNN) - It was just over one month ago Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama made a much-hyped public display of unity at a New Hampshire campaign stop. But more than 30 days later, the New York Democrat has rarely been seen at Obama's side, and she's only attended a handful of events on his behalf.

The reason for her ostensible absence from the campaign trail? She has an important day job, said her former campaign chairman Terry McAuliffe.

"Since that meeting in Unity, New Hampshire, the Senate has been in session," McAuliffe told MSNBC Monday. “I've tried to get her to travel and do a couple of events. And she hasn't been able to do those yet."

Related: Clinton turns attention back to Senate

Still in an election year where many Democrats feel so much is at stake, Clinton's relatively minimal public campaign role to date has been noticeable. It also comes amid continued resistance from many of her former supporters towards Obama's candidacy. Despite choreographed and carefully produced pictures of the two former rivals standing side by side last month, many of Clinton's top donors have yet to sign checks over to Obama, and some have even openly said they may not vote for him.

According to a CNN/Opinion Research Corp. poll released earlier this month, Clinton supporters who say they plan to vote for presumptive Republican nominee Sen. John McCain are down from a month ago, but those who say they plan to vote for Obama are also down, and a growing number say they may not vote at all.

Watch: CNN's Mark Preston talks with angry Clinton supporters

But McAuliffe, one of Clinton's most aggressive supporters during the prolonged Democratic primary race, said the New York Democrat has been working vigorously for Obama behind the scenes, and is about to assume a more public role in the campaign.

"I don't like to relay conversations between Senator Obama and Senator Clinton - I know they have an extensive travel schedule for her," he said. "The requests have been piling up. Hillary Clinton has done more in her position of anybody that has come in second before. She's been working. She's been making calls. As soon as she gets done with her senate deals, she's going to hit the campaign trail."

Meanwhile, an Obama source tells CNN's Gloria Borger Clinton will hit the trail for Obama in three or four battleground states next month.

"She will do anything she can to help Barack Obama become the next president," he added.

1. Kevin Leo (Jonesboro, GA)

I really do not make much of Hillary's relative silence at this point. I am giving her the benefit of doubt here and think that she was allowing Barack to have the full press coverage of his tour. If she did anything or announced anything, it would have taken away from his message and coverage. Now that he is back and we have hit the 100 day mark before the November elections, we will beging seeing and hearing more from Bill and Hillary!

2. Toot

As a HRC supporter all you haters need to realize that she do have a job to attend to!!

3. Paula Hussein Mack

Yeah right.. if she is so supportive she should had over her delegates..I don't trust her one bit. I wouldn't put it past the Clinton's to pull a huge dirty at the convention.. a woman this desperate does not just back down.. she will be back and it won't be to support Barack.

4. NPA

If I had a dollar for every time I hear Hillary is going to campaign for Obama, I would be as rich as the McCains.

5. MichaelB

Hillary who?

6. David

Clinton 2012

7. Matt

Party before Country.

Hillary and Obama Hated each other, but have a common goal of oppressing the people of this country in their hunger for power.

Party before Country.

8. Jon

It's nice that she realizes she still has a regular job. Why is it that presidential candidates are not expected to keep performing their regular jobs, especially one so important as a Senator?

Whilst Obama was on his Euro-trip, he missed yet another key vote, this time to discuss a bill which could help curb oil speculation and help reduce gas prices for all of us. Thanks again for thinking of us, Bamy!! But hey, keep pushing your "fast-track alternatives" to oil, which will only take a decade to come to fruition.

9. Toledo, Ohio

What a bunch of clowns. Those crazy Puma clowns. Send in the clowns.

10. HSNP

Obama is an empty suit.

11. Mike D

she already has the down payment on the sniper in case she gets to be VP

12. NW

My friends, that's the way it should be. Sorry my friend McBush!! You are an old fashion kind of dude can't even remeber which one is shiit and sunni, lol.......... Is this the kind of commander in chief the American people ought to rely on?? did not even know the difference between two groups of people??? Someone (his friend, Liberman) had to correct him few times?? Sorry my friend, Mcsame not this time, Amen!

13. Michael G- Ventura ca

This is great news- Perhaps the pumA"s will get the message that this election isn't just about THEM! In over thirty-five years of political activity, I have never seen such absurdity!

July 28, 2008 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  14. Millie Bea

Hillary should stick to her day job- make a few stops with Obama- and behind the scenes ask her major contributors to support the Democratic nominee. But she should be doing what she was elected to do- be a Senator- maybe not w that the race is out of the way she will be able to do more for New Yorkers than name a couple of post offices.....

July 28, 2008 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  15. proud army and navy mom

No Hussein, not now, not ever...........

July 28, 2008 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  16. Steve Green

If Barack Obama does not select Hillary Clinton as his running mate, he will surely lose the election. Do not mess this one up fellow Democrats!

July 28, 2008 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  17. Donna

WOW PUMA-PAC-HUSSEIN..you really don't think much of her at all do you?

Maybe you all should have TOLD her a long time ago that her campaign was in trouble she could have fixed it...or maybe if you had TOLD her she wasn't spending her money wisely, she wouldn't be $22 million in DEBT...

yeah she REALLY needs you!!!

July 28, 2008 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  18. Texan in Colorado

Well, good for you Obama Supporter from FL. Aren't you special?

I'll "whine" if I want to. She didn't "lose".... the media anointed Obama from the get-go.
    No, I will NOT vote for Obama because I just don't have any confidence in him that he can do the job. He's a neophyte and just because he was the media's darling doesn't mean he's presidential material.
    I sure won't vote for McCain, nor any of the current minor party candidates (which is a wasted vote anyway). So I guess I can take off on election day in November.... in fact, I've already made plans. I'll be on a beach in Hawai'i and most likely won't even acknowledge the day in any way, shape, or form. Yes, I do consider that somewhat lackadaisical.... but then I also consider what happened in the primaries to be a travesty, too.
    So put that in your Obama pipe and have a good day.

July 28, 2008 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  19. Sara

Clinton supporters who refuse to vote for Obama need to get over. I was a huge Hillary Clinton supporter. I voted for her and donated large sums of money to her campaign. And although I would prefer that she was the Democratic nominee, I'm proud to vote for Barack Obama.

July 28, 2008 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  20. LNAB

I hope HRC stays away from that skunk Obama. She could be doing much more important things than shilling for the "anointee".

July 28, 2008 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  21. jackrainman

I live in New York State. She is a senator from New York State. She was elected to represent New York State in the senate. She wasn't elected to the senate so she could run for President. She lost. She better get back to work. That's what our taxes pay for.

July 28, 2008 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  22. pat C.

you hillary people are making her look bad. it shows you know nothing about the election and what this does or does not do for the country. she is probably laughing at all of you thinking what idiots. stop drinking the kool-aid and help get barack obama elected or go somewhere an hideout for a few months. if you can't be part of the salution then we don't need you being part of the problem. hillary is done as a candidate so move on. either be a democrat or a republican but stop making yourselves look stupid.

July 28, 2008 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  23. Lisa

If Hillary is not on the ticket I'm not voting for Obama. Like his supporters said they don't need our vote.

July 28, 2008 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  24. Ex PUMA

All PUMA and Cougars gather here.

July 28, 2008 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  25. lorraine

I like the way Hillary is acting, she is catching up on her own work and also has a private life. If I was in her position I would do the very same. Hillary should take a nice long vacation as she deserves it. I am for her all the way and not for Obama at all.

July 28, 2008 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |