July 28th, 2008

Clinton to embark on 'extensive' travel for Obama

Obama and Clinton made a public display of unity last month.
Obama and Clinton made a public display of unity last month.

(CNN) - It was just over one month ago Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama made a much-hyped public display of unity at a New Hampshire campaign stop. But more than 30 days later, the New York Democrat has rarely been seen at Obama's side, and she's only attended a handful of events on his behalf.

The reason for her ostensible absence from the campaign trail? She has an important day job, said her former campaign chairman Terry McAuliffe.

"Since that meeting in Unity, New Hampshire, the Senate has been in session," McAuliffe told MSNBC Monday. “I've tried to get her to travel and do a couple of events. And she hasn't been able to do those yet."

Related: Clinton turns attention back to Senate

Still in an election year where many Democrats feel so much is at stake, Clinton's relatively minimal public campaign role to date has been noticeable. It also comes amid continued resistance from many of her former supporters towards Obama's candidacy. Despite choreographed and carefully produced pictures of the two former rivals standing side by side last month, many of Clinton's top donors have yet to sign checks over to Obama, and some have even openly said they may not vote for him.

According to a CNN/Opinion Research Corp. poll released earlier this month, Clinton supporters who say they plan to vote for presumptive Republican nominee Sen. John McCain are down from a month ago, but those who say they plan to vote for Obama are also down, and a growing number say they may not vote at all.

Watch: CNN's Mark Preston talks with angry Clinton supporters

But McAuliffe, one of Clinton's most aggressive supporters during the prolonged Democratic primary race, said the New York Democrat has been working vigorously for Obama behind the scenes, and is about to assume a more public role in the campaign.

"I don't like to relay conversations between Senator Obama and Senator Clinton - I know they have an extensive travel schedule for her," he said. "The requests have been piling up. Hillary Clinton has done more in her position of anybody that has come in second before. She's been working. She's been making calls. As soon as she gets done with her senate deals, she's going to hit the campaign trail."

Meanwhile, an Obama source tells CNN's Gloria Borger Clinton will hit the trail for Obama in three or four battleground states next month.

"She will do anything she can to help Barack Obama become the next president," he added.

1. dz in Austin

According to the Obamabots, they don't need or want her or her supporters. Here's to them getting exactly what they asked for!

July 28, 2008 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  2. nate

Hillary Clinton has a chance to be the most important woman in the history of the United States – if she helps get Obama elected. She will go down in Amercian history as the WOMAN who changed health care system in the US and will be remembered alongside ppl like Marie Curie. Take that Puma (meow!)

July 28, 2008 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  3. Ohio Citizen

How bad would it look for Clinton if she is perceived to have sat on her hands during the campaign and then Obama wins a landslide? She would be Madam irrelevent. Obama is going to win this election. It would be to her benefit for him to win with her clear and visible support.

July 28, 2008 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  4. Eric in Ca

Many CNN posters don't seem to understand that Obama is a highly gifted politician, and man of considerable integrity, intelligence, confidence and substance; I say this to say– having Hillary hit the campaign trail is a huge PLUS for Democrats & Obama... but please keep in mind that Obama is the nominee he ran an excellent primary campaign!

Now if I we're a McCain supporter I'd have to ask myself my – Why would or why should I support a 3rd Bush term? Why vote for a geriatric who has NO plans for our country's future.
    This election boils down to this: Historic vs Pre-Historic! The future is Obama!

July 28, 2008 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  5. Libs be dopes

Obama/Edwards 2008!

Whoops!

July 28, 2008 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  6. Splurge

The more anti-Hillary hate I see from Obama supporters, the more I realize that I will not vote for him.

July 28, 2008 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  7. AC

Yes, she will do anything she can......to become the leading Democratic candidate for president in 2112.

July 28, 2008 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  8. Ted

DO NOTHING HILLARY. ...RUN IN 2012...WE R WAITING 4 U!!!

July 28, 2008 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  9. pmw1

I do not know any Clinton supporters who are voting for Obama. None. They all plan to write her name in in November.

July 28, 2008 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  10. bubbaK

Hillary is probably solving another world crisis and will not surface in the campaign again until Obama offers her the VP slot. If he ever does. I sort of miss her tall tails and spin on reality.

July 28, 2008 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  11. Kingslough NY.

Gee... CNN can create something out of nothing. Kudos to you guys.

July 28, 2008 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  12. Barack the Vote in RI

To PUMA – PAC and all the rest of the ex-HRC supporters...... you guys are either mentally disturbed/brain dead or closet racists....maybe both.......either way, the race has moved on and she lost.....get a life – and some professional help.

....and it's about time she grew up and finally decided to practice what she preaches.

Obama 08/12

July 28, 2008 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  13. WarHeroFmrPOW HijaxStr8talkXpress DrivzIn2GutR TurnzCoward XploitsTroopsAsPawns&Props

At least Hillary has the good of the country at heart.

July 28, 2008 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  14. Gary Chandler in Canada

Somebody should do a poll on who actually believes the Splurge was a success, compared to their financial situations. Those that got ‘caught’ in the mortgage and crisis and, who are otherwise, poor debt risks have a mind set that good money should thrown after bad.
    Obama’s desire to team up with the Western democracies is out of love for America. Maybe after 8 years of Obama y’all can STOP wearing Canadian flags abroad!? Wouldn’t THAT be something!? It WOULD be an indication are internationally respected and they can confidently wear American flags.
    Folks; McCain is dangerous! His definition of ‘victory’ to Blitzer underlies that. All that crap about peace between factions, regional stability, no influence from Iran, western style democracy, prosperity, and an established legal system, etc is just toooooo Utopian. Combine that with his comments about quashing Russia and China, and creating a new world order to bend Russia and China to his will. This is WW3 thinking, no DUFF!
    Right from when he was a low ranking soldier in Viet Nam, as his letters show, his ‘strategy’ has always ask once then bomb, bomb, bomb. The only real military decisions he EVER made was what music to play while dropping them. It was his daddy who was the Admiral not him. (His daddy who prevented him from expulsion from the Academy, got him in flight school above more qualified candidates, got him Captain over more experienced candidates, and personally secured his medal of bravery for his sonny.)
    Folks it is NOT unpatriotic to want to work ‘with’ America’s Allies. If you want America to be a neurotic world bully, vote for McCain. McCain was born into an ‘Elite’ military family, but the lineage stopped there!
    Those on good economic footing would see the splurge as a little band aid on a big wound. To quote McCain on Blitzer, “It’s a precarious success.” What the HECK kind of a success is a ‘shaky’ success you might ask? It’s a weak dam that is built to hold back a flood. It will either burst or require Splurge 2, Splurge 3, … Splurge 100 to ‘succeed’.

July 28, 2008 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  15. JimS.

Many of Hillary's supporters have yet to open their checkbooks for Obama, because they're waiting to see if he gives her the nod for VP. I know that speaks for me.

I'll support Obama, but if he doesn't give Hillary the VP slot he'll get my vote but he won't get my ca$h.

July 28, 2008 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  16. Eli

I have MOVED ON, so why does it upset O's supporter when I say I will not vote for him. Then they all say how crazy and mean we are, EXCUSE me did you not read the comments on here prior to O getting the nomination form your allies in the O support group, talk about cruel. I am just exercising my right to refrain from voting just like the biggest majority of O supporters did in 2000 for Al Gore, where were all these people then, Oh I forgot they could have cared less about the election process.

July 28, 2008 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  17. Suzanne

Wake up everyone! Get over your seventh grade behavior about who likes whom! Barack needs to win. Barack cannot win without Hillary on the ticket. The wealthy professional women who are her major donors and bundlers are sitting on their checkbooks and sitting on their endorsements. Hillary represent HALF of the Democratic party. Did I mention HALF? If you do not like her it does not matter. It's not about you! Grow up and learn something about cold hard POLITICS. Eighteen million votes! Did I mention eighteen million???????????
    HHeellloooooo !?

July 28, 2008 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  18. MR.B

It takes a rare human being to be willing to set aside personal aspirations for the good of the party. Hillary Clinton is not that type of person.

July 28, 2008 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  19. Hillary for President

I don't like either candidate, so I plan to write in the name of the candidate that I do like – Hillary. We should stand up for what and who we want.

July 28, 2008 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  20. KENNETH M.

NEVER THOUGHT I WOULD SAY IT BUT IT IS GOOD TO SEE HER AGAIN. THIS RACE LOST ITS THUNDER WHEN SHE WENT AWAY. I THINK SHE WILL BE A BIG HELP TO OBAMA.

July 28, 2008 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  21. ben

I hope she is not just waiting in the wings to see if she can somehow start a steam roller in the convencion. Of course this would be suicide for the democrats, but that didnt seem to stop her from aiding the republicans with her attacks against Obama

July 28, 2008 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  22. Freida, NYC

Obama needs to pick Hillary as his VP running mate, if he wants her supporters to back him in Nov. That is the only way I will vote for him.

Obama/Hillary 2008

July 28, 2008 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  23. Eddie, FL

It is no suprise, Obama campaign continues to court a hillary clinton presence, he voice carries weight and voting power. Maybe Obama voters should accept the fact that the "Clinton Vote" matters. And maybe if the Obama Voters did some research beyond news/media stories, they would see the incredible and intellectual minds behind the clintons. Make No Mistake, an Obama Adminsitration NEEDS IT.

July 28, 2008 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  24. Paul

I think Obama would have looked like a real rookie if Hillary had been along for the Euro love-fest.

July 28, 2008 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  25. Dem People

I don't know why the Obama campaign needs the Clintons to do anything for them. Didn't Obama say he could get her supporters (He wasn't sure she could get his)? Clearly, she isn't going out to shore up people who already support him (or is she?). Also, given the brick-bats thrown at Hillary's backers in recent weeks, it would seem silly to have her (or anyone who supports her) to speak out on Obama's behalf. Why anger your base? What BO is doing makes no sense. Hillary should stay in New York and let Obama campaign for himself as his followers want. Obama is a one man show...appearing nightly on every network apparently.

July 28, 2008 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |