July 28th, 2008

Clinton to embark on 'extensive' travel for Obama

Obama and Clinton made a public display of unity last month.
Obama and Clinton made a public display of unity last month.

(CNN) - It was just over one month ago Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama made a much-hyped public display of unity at a New Hampshire campaign stop. But more than 30 days later, the New York Democrat has rarely been seen at Obama's side, and she's only attended a handful of events on his behalf.

The reason for her ostensible absence from the campaign trail? She has an important day job, said her former campaign chairman Terry McAuliffe.

"Since that meeting in Unity, New Hampshire, the Senate has been in session," McAuliffe told MSNBC Monday. “I've tried to get her to travel and do a couple of events. And she hasn't been able to do those yet."

Related: Clinton turns attention back to Senate

Still in an election year where many Democrats feel so much is at stake, Clinton's relatively minimal public campaign role to date has been noticeable. It also comes amid continued resistance from many of her former supporters towards Obama's candidacy. Despite choreographed and carefully produced pictures of the two former rivals standing side by side last month, many of Clinton's top donors have yet to sign checks over to Obama, and some have even openly said they may not vote for him.

According to a CNN/Opinion Research Corp. poll released earlier this month, Clinton supporters who say they plan to vote for presumptive Republican nominee Sen. John McCain are down from a month ago, but those who say they plan to vote for Obama are also down, and a growing number say they may not vote at all.

Watch: CNN's Mark Preston talks with angry Clinton supporters

But McAuliffe, one of Clinton's most aggressive supporters during the prolonged Democratic primary race, said the New York Democrat has been working vigorously for Obama behind the scenes, and is about to assume a more public role in the campaign.

"I don't like to relay conversations between Senator Obama and Senator Clinton - I know they have an extensive travel schedule for her," he said. "The requests have been piling up. Hillary Clinton has done more in her position of anybody that has come in second before. She's been working. She's been making calls. As soon as she gets done with her senate deals, she's going to hit the campaign trail."

Meanwhile, an Obama source tells CNN's Gloria Borger Clinton will hit the trail for Obama in three or four battleground states next month.

"She will do anything she can to help Barack Obama become the next president," he added.

1. Ant928

"More public role"? Great...they still think she's gonna be VP.

Gimme a break.

July 28, 2008 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  2. Democrat Still Thinking

Wow, I am amazed at the Media's obsession with the Clintons. Where has Hillary gone? Where she belongs, in the Senate. In case CNN forgot, you heavily contributed to her loss of the Primary and strongly highlighted how divisive of a figure she is. So, Obama has his work cut out for him and he has CNN and the rest of the liberal Media behind him. Sen. Clinton and President Clinton just do damage whenever they show up, and CNN you worked hard to put this thought across. So, stop the whining and the obsession with the Clintons and concentrate your efforts on your newly found phenomena. And trust me, he will need all your efforts to make it to the White House.

July 28, 2008 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  3. Connie

I say thank you Senator Clinton,I am sure President Obama will have a place for you in his cabinet or on the supreme court. I don't think Mrs.Clinton is going to do anything against her will , I think all the puma's need to remember she will be voting for OBAMA .Obama 08

Connie from Indiana

July 28, 2008 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  4. Marcus B

I can't wait to hear PUMA's response to this. "Hillary doesn't mean it!" "Hillary's lying, she really wants to secretly poison Obama's drink." The truth is, Hillary wants a job, so her hardline supporters better straighten up and fly right! In order for Hillary to run for the Presidency again, Obama has to win and give her a high level position. That will only ADD to her resume.

GET SMART PUMA....YOUR GIRL WANTS A JOB!!!!!!!!

OBAMA/SEBELIUS

July 28, 2008 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  5. NoMcSame

Ok Hillary its time to go to work. Your PUMA people sold you out so you might as well come and get on the Obama bus. He will take you right back to the White House. Obama 8yrs then Hillary for another 8 and that will be great.
    Obama08

July 28, 2008 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  6. Michael

As a Republican, I hope we see her face all over television, angry, haughty, and mendacious.

July 28, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  7. Janet

I was a Hillary supporter. She didn't win. I lost my hero and my leader. There's no one I'm willing to vote for now, so I'll probably, for the first time in my life, not vote.

July 28, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  8. M LAMELLA- VA

Its really a shame she didn't win the nomination. I have no interest in the race between Obama and McCain at all. I'm going to vote, because its my right and civic duty, but I'm not happy with the selection. Its true, Hillary has been busy with the senate. More people should actually check the committee hearings if they really want to know whats going on instead of speculating.

(By the way, the last comment posted was not very intelligent.)

July 28, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  9. Ann Frantti

Tough decision..Obama is such a fraud..and McCain's positions are unacceptable..
    but..comments about McCain's age are as wrong as comments about Barack Obama's skin color
    Where is the outrage..
    Age and knowledge should trump youth and arrogance

July 28, 2008 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  10. Jack Mpls

Just waiting for everyone to get sick of Obama and his God complex.

July 28, 2008 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  11. Brian

She's amazing and wil always have my respect and vote. The media needs to back up off it :)

July 28, 2008 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  12. Susann

I'm sure that Hillary has a huge responsiblity that she has to tend to in the Senate at this point in time. BUT reality has probably set in that she actually lost and she might be nursing her wombs. A person will always feel worse internally when they play dirty and still loose on top of it all. I'm sure she'll be back on the bandwagon pretty soon. Reality is that Obama is going to win this election no matter who votes and who doesn't vote. Man is not in control.

July 28, 2008 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  13. Karen B in Houston

I hope they can work together. In the end, it'll be better for the Democrates if they do.

You PUMAs who are refusing to support Barak by choosing to vote for McCain are ignorant and uninformed.

What issues does McCain and Clinton agree on? Be real and honest with yourselves.

If you're angry enough not follow Hillary's suggestion to support Barak, and McCain does WIN....

...make sure you're woman and man enough to deal with the Supreme Courts successive attempts to overturn Roe vs. Wade.
    ...make sure you can succeed as a woman and a minority without the same Affirmative Action that many previous women and minorities benefited from.
    ...make sure you're ready for economy to sink EVEN further. Our American dollar ain't worth the paper it's printed on.
    ...make sure you're ready for the view of the US as a superpower to decline even further.
    ...talk about incurring more WAR debt.

Go ahead...PUMAs and other Democrats, vote for McCain, and if you'll get exactly what you want. And I hope you will be able to deal with it.

July 28, 2008 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  14. Bryan

PUMAs: Don't you realize how childish you are being? You would really abandon all of your candidate's positions because you dislike Obama as a person?

The world is laughing at you.

July 28, 2008 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  15. Elaine wilson

i don't know why you Obama supporters get so much pleasure out of blasting Hillary. She isn't the one that is whining–It is you Obama supporters. What do you want her to do? She is helping him all she can. Get off her backkkkkkkkkkkkkkk. Please. She has moved on. Why can't you?

July 28, 2008 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  16. JR

Hillary did lose. So what? I am not a republican but I will never, never vote for Barrack. The more Barrack changes his policies and positions, the more I yearn for any President but not Barrack. And Hillary will always be the President I would have voted for. So Barrack supporter's get off my back. I am a strong democrat but not at any price.

July 28, 2008 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  17. Swannie

Scarlett Johansson willbe at the Democratic convention what will she be doing ?? Singing Happy Birthday in a white dress??
    ahh tradition

KANYE WEST is suposed to be at the democratic convention too

SO I guess we know what bo will do when he loses the election... crash the inauguration and say I SHOULD HAVE WON I spent more money ...

July 28, 2008 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  18. Ben

What's so funny to me is Hillary (who unfortunately didn't receive the nom) is standing behind Obama more than her supporters. None of us lost the nom, so why are we making such a fuss? She is truly Democrat and am proud to see her standing up and fighting for a fresh start.

Now if all the Hil supporters would just catch on..

O '08

July 28, 2008 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  19. Peter

For "All" the PUMA people out there just drop it already....we all know by when you "All" threaten to vote for McCain its really just a few un-educated people who think they can out smart Obama

July 28, 2008 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  20. ALECO1 -----NOKOMIS,FL

THE CAMPAIGN IS TO CLOSE--IF OBAMA WANTS TO ;BE SURE HE WILL WIN THE ELECTION THEN HE SHOULD SELECT HILARY AS HIS RUNNING MATE.--–THEN IT WOULD BE A LANDSLIDE.

July 28, 2008 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  21. MZ

Hillary 4 VP!! Otherwise NO VOTE 4 BARACK !!!

July 28, 2008 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  22. Mommyof2

I agree with the Obama supporter from FL.... this is a presidential election, folks, not the Homecoming court. It's not a popularity contest.

If you truly care about your country, you'll think twice before voting to hand it over to the Bush clone.

July 28, 2008 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  23. Carol

Is this really that hard to figure out?

She's a sore loser – and she's still mad that she lost. This love-fest for Obama must be killing her.

I haven't heard anyone mention her name in weeks. Makes me laugh about her last speech when she was so arrogant and self-centered: quote: "People ask..... What does Hillary want?'"

Um, nobody cares what Hillary wants. Go away, and stay away. Bitter, evil, old bag.

July 28, 2008 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  24. jeff's mom

please don't pay attention to my sons comment. He is an rtard.

July 28, 2008 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  25. MW

The media is flogging this subject to death. They want conflict. There is nothing to see, folks. Move on!

July 28, 2008 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |