July 28th, 2008

McCain has mole removed

McCain is wearing a bandage after a mole was removed from his head.
McCain is wearing a bandage after a mole was removed from his head.

(CNN) – John McCain had a mole-like growth removed Monday from his temple, the McCain campaign said.

Doctors did not think the growth was cause for concern, but it was removed as a precautionary measure, the campaign said. It was noticed during McCain's standard three-month checkup and a biopsy on the mole was planned.

McCain was wearing a bandage on his face as a result of the procedure, but has since removed it.

McCain has had four malignant melanomas removed in the past. Three of them - on his left shoulder, left arm and left nasal wall - were limited to the top skin layer and were not invasive. They were removed in 1993, 2000 and 2002, and all were declared Stage 0, of little long-term concern.

But a fourth melanoma proved to be invasive and was removed from his left lower temple in 2000. He has since been cancer-free.

UPDATE: Speaking with reporters Monday, McCain said he is confident the removed mole is nothing major.

"As I do every three months, [I] visited my dermatologist this morning, she said I was doing fine, took a small little nick from my cheek, as she does regularly, and that will be biopsied, just to make sure that everything is fine," he said.

"But I want to again urge all Americans to wear sunscreen particularly this summer, stay out of the sun as much as possible. Wear sunscreen, and if you ever have any slight discoloration, please go to your dermatologist or your doctor, and get it checked up on. Melenoma is a preventable occurrence. It really is," he also said.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Bob Beckner

As I said in the past few weeks! Let me see if any of you belittleing I hope is our next president McCain can walk in his shoes. There is not one thing Obama has said to be qualified to be the Commander an Chief of the greatest country in the world..We all sure have short memories, when we told the President; go get em' after 9 11. You know why half the time we didn't have enough troops? Ask Mr. Clinton who proceeded closing bases and almost did awaywith NORAD...

July 28, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  2. Ann Hussein West

CNN, I watch your news but this is very to post health issues for McSame and Barack. You are still better than racist/gossip column Faux News....but Olbermann rocks......

July 28, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  3. Chris S.

What about that ugly growth on top of his neck??

July 28, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  4. Ann Hussein West

Your comment is awaiting moderation.
    CNN, I watch your news but this is very tacky to post health issues for McSame and Barack. You are still better than racist/gossip column Faux News….but Olbermann rocks……

July 28, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  5. Wallace Berry

If MCCain gets anymore cancerous skin cut off his head, he's going to be the skull-head candidate.

July 28, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  6. Rich in Seattle

FOR ALL OF YOU WHO COMPLAIN ABOUT THE NEWS IN THE POLITICIAL TICKER BEING NON-SENSE, IT'S MEANT FOR THIS TYPE OF NEWS! STOP COMPLAINING ABOUT IT AND IF IT DOESN'T APPLY TO YOU IGNORE IT! PLEASE!

Plus, this is news. When you have a canidate who could be the oldest person ever elected to the office of President, his health is a big factor to me.

July 28, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  7. Marilyn

Either one of these two candidates (or any of us, for that matter) can drop dead at any time from just about anything. I personally would choose a cancer survivor over a smoker any day!

July 28, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  8. jeff

THIS IS NEWS!!! are you kidding me! i felt the need to waste others time by posting my own thoughts if CNN is going to waste my time putting this type of rubbish as a headline

July 28, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  9. Enrique Coato

John McCain's policies CANNOT be cut out by a surgeons knife. THAT is what I am concerned about.

This man MUST not be allowed to become POTUS no matter how many growths he has on his body.

July 28, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  10. TX for Obama

I am a big Obama supporter, but I feel that CNN should close this blog out, because there are people who cannot act like adults. I sincerely hope that the diagnosis will be good.

OBAMA '08

July 28, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  11. E CT

Whatever the problem with McCain I just hop it not contagious, because if it is those people who come to his town hall meeting or those who get very close to him such as the reporters will all get sick.

July 28, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  12. Joe PA

Get Well Soon Senator McCain.

OBAMA '08 & '12

July 28, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  13. Marie

Stop with the nasty comments, people! What's wrong with you?

John McCain has provided us with more than enough evidence that he is not qualified or prepared to be president of the United States. That does not justify the cruel remarks that some have made here.

July 28, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  14. gina simpson

Don't care for McCain or his Policies.....but I hope that his Cancer has not returned.

Come on CNN start reporting more on the ISSUES (like the fact that McCain's new tv ad where he claims Obama disses our Troops is a lie/inaccurate). Enough of these topics that bring us WAY off point.

July 28, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  15. Pat Riot

I'm surprised at some of you liberals. You will do anything to protect your ideals. All day you preach on here about the America want to live in. Tolerance, understanding and concern for those with political differences do not appear to be part of that dream. More and more it sounds like communism.

July 28, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  16. Bud

Best of luck on health issues for John McCain. He's a good man with good intentions. That does not make him right. What a mess this Bush presidency has put us in. Give Obama the slim chance to repair this mess that Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld, Gonzales, Rove, Libby and Novak created. John deserves a healthy retirement. Wonder how his health care program works?

July 28, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  17. Tunnie

The Senator knew about this mole all along and kept it from the public until it was noticved by the media. Old man are you hiding something. Go sit down in your rocking chair and enjoy the rest of your life.
    OBAMA 08

July 28, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  18. Real Issues

I don't think people are getting this. Melanoma IS MALIGNANT skin cancer. It is the most deadly and invasive & 75% of all deaths from skin cancer come from Melanoma. McCain has had four of these tumors removed already. This IS serious.

July 28, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  19. Jeff, Dallas TX

They had to remove the mole b/c there is only room for one disgusting blemish to be attached to him...

...and Lieberman called dibs on that job.

July 28, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  20. Obama Supporters

We wish McCain good health and a speedy recovery. Apart from his Bush-like policies, he's a good man.

Obama Supporters!

July 28, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  21. Anita from Arizona

Slow day on CNN??? Get well soon, McCain.

And to comment on Ben Stein's advise to hire Karl Rove to McCain campaign. McCain should take that advise. He listens to Gramm's economic advise with "the nation of whiners" comments and legislation advise for Enron and Predetory lending practices. Why not.. RIGHT?!!. And before you NEOCONS throw Rev. Wright in the conversation, I don't care what you believe, just don't mess with my money.

July 28, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  22. yala

GOD BLESS McCAIN. SAY WHAT YOU MAY HE IS VERY LIKABLE.

July 28, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  23. Kim

I wish him well. I do wish bad health on anyone, but McCain is too old.

July 28, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  24. Jon in WA

I hate to think of the day when I visit the dermatologist every 3 months... sheesh.

Good thing our Congressmen and women have complete medical coverage...

July 28, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  25. Mike in Houston

Awwww C'mon CNN. REALLY????? Slow news day I guess, first Obama's hip, he is I think in his 40's, yes he is going to have an ache and pain or two after a game of basketball. McCain had a mole, all Senior Citzens have moles or something.

July 28, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |