July 28th, 2008

McCain has mole removed

McCain is wearing a bandage after a mole was removed from his head.
McCain is wearing a bandage after a mole was removed from his head.

(CNN) – John McCain had a mole-like growth removed Monday from his temple, the McCain campaign said.

Doctors did not think the growth was cause for concern, but it was removed as a precautionary measure, the campaign said. It was noticed during McCain's standard three-month checkup and a biopsy on the mole was planned.

McCain was wearing a bandage on his face as a result of the procedure, but has since removed it.

McCain has had four malignant melanomas removed in the past. Three of them - on his left shoulder, left arm and left nasal wall - were limited to the top skin layer and were not invasive. They were removed in 1993, 2000 and 2002, and all were declared Stage 0, of little long-term concern.

But a fourth melanoma proved to be invasive and was removed from his left lower temple in 2000. He has since been cancer-free.

UPDATE: Speaking with reporters Monday, McCain said he is confident the removed mole is nothing major.

"As I do every three months, [I] visited my dermatologist this morning, she said I was doing fine, took a small little nick from my cheek, as she does regularly, and that will be biopsied, just to make sure that everything is fine," he said.

"But I want to again urge all Americans to wear sunscreen particularly this summer, stay out of the sun as much as possible. Wear sunscreen, and if you ever have any slight discoloration, please go to your dermatologist or your doctor, and get it checked up on. Melenoma is a preventable occurrence. It really is," he also said.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. GERRY

Come on people. Even though you he may not be your preferentail canidate for president he is still a human being just like you and I.
    I don't think any person should not be wished he best when it comes to a person's health. Good luck Mr. Senator.
    From a Obama supporter.

July 28, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  2. Lee from FL

poor old fella

July 28, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  3. Marik

A preventable occurance...yet McCain took no measures to prevent it in his own life. Doesn't bode well for America if this candidate will not take measures to prevent preventable occurances. To only deal with issues after they've occured is to forever be controlled by those issues.

July 28, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  4. GERRY

Come on people. Even though he may not be your preferentail canidate for president he is still a human being just like you and I.
    From a Obama supporter.

July 28, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  5. Ted - Ohio

I am concerned with McCain's age and health and ability to remember. As a voter, I can't stop wondering why we the republicans could have taken such a major risk. I hope he recovers quickly.

July 28, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  6. YO

EEEW!

July 28, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  7. Nia Hussein- Phoenix, AZ

ummm I sssooo would rather hear about the huge McCain gaffes from yesterday's interview then his mole!!

July 28, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  8. Mike - Texas

Too bad that Nancy Pelosi can't get that wart on top of her shoulders removed!!

July 28, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  9. FV

McCain decided to name the mole.... ROBERT NOVAK.

July 28, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  10. David Armendale, SF, CA

I think it's absolutely disgraceful how McCain disparaged the service of our troops in Afghanistan by overlooking their sacrifice when he suggested that Iraq was the first major conflict after 9/11, instead of the conflict in Afghanistan.
    This type of historical myopia is yet another clear example of how, despite all his chest thumping and finger pointing, John McCain is unfit to be Commander in Chief. John McCain simply does not understand the importance of the service our troops are providing in that conflict. Taking the fight to Al Queda and to the Taliban was the right course of action which had the overwhelming support of the American people. Unfortunately however, Bush and McCain did not stay focused on pursuing Bin Laden who remains at large. Apparently, McCain believes that our soldiers being killed and wounded over there were not worth mentioning when it comes to citing the conflicts that mean the most to him – namely the Iraq war that was based entirely upon false intel and made up stuff.

July 28, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  11. Lisa Q

That is EXPERIENCED Doctors making good JUDGEMENT calls...hope it does not grow back like the Insurgents in IRAQ or flip-flop like AFFIRMATIVE ACTION

July 28, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  12. Helene

McCain needs to be open with his medical condition. If he has melanoma, we should know it. Who wants an old, sick man as President anyway !

July 28, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  13. Phil, FL

I still fear he MIGHT get elected and have to resign early on because of health – then we will be left with HIS choice for VP, not ELECTED.

I don't particularly like any of the VP candidate potentials. Wouldn't want any of them.

Definitely will vote Obama rather than risk someone I dislike even worse than Bush/McCain.

July 28, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  14. Doug, New Jersey

Witness what it means to be a liberal Democrat by reading this blog.

To be a human being defined only by hate, division, anger, lies, distortion and intolerance for views you disagree with.

The bleeding heart liberal is a great American, unfortunately they are few and far between. A true bleeding heart would be voting for McCain since the hate of Rev. Wright's mentor is something that they would want to distance themselves from.

July 28, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  15. SaraM

Oh thank god for the update. Next time be sure to inform us of his last BM and what he had for lunch too. Perhaps he could promote a high-fiber diet and a regular colonoscopy.

And no, I don't think it's CNN trying to make McCain look old ... I think it was McCain wanting to announce this to the world to mitigate the bad publicity a bandage on his head would bring.

Republicans have a tendency to think anything that's not anti-Obama and pro-McCain slanted. Get over it already.

July 28, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  16. Joe in NJ

Oh brother! Thousands of people have moles removed everyday. I myself have had two removed in the past five years.

And Donna from Bremerton said:

"Isn't in nice that Senator McCain is using his health care benefits that uninsured/underinsured Americans are paying for with their tax dollars. When will the ingrates, that serve in elected office (President, Vice President, the Members of Congress), start to reciprocate in kind.

Yes, boys and girls your tax dollars are being used to pay for the heath insurance that the President and Congress have so graciously provided to themselve and to hell with the rest of us."

I guess this applies to Obama and his hip as well.

July 28, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  17. Fritz

His darn horns keep growing, no matter how many times doctors may try to remove them! (please note the above comment is meant as comedy as poor an attempt as it may be).
    In a more serious light, let us wish this American veteran a speedy recovery.

July 28, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  18. kcmookie

Mol-e, mol-e, mol-e, SURGE. Mol-ee, mol-ee, SURGE.

July 28, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  19. JB from NH

Maybe they can cut out his mean, bitter streak!

July 28, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  20. Guamster

Too bad they completely remove his brain and re-inplant a younger non-malignant one while they were at it.

July 28, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  21. Mary

“They were removed in 1993, 2000 and 2002 and 2008”

Now I know where McCain got that line. He got it from his doctor. “Lets stay the course and have another SURGary!!!

July 28, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  22. Clear Choice

Here's a scary thought: having a President undergoing chemo-therapy and radiation treatment, weak and frail, trying to lead us out of Iraq, improve the economy, and fix our nation. Think before you vote, my friends.

July 28, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  23. Franky

And are you sure Reps that you want the media after you like my boy?? Trust me, look at what's going on with the Packers organization, there's too much distraction. I'm telling you, we may not agree with them but they're tough, REAL TOUGH....

Just take it easy Senator(McCain)...

July 28, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  24. Tired of W, OH

Besides the usual old jokes, I have noticed that the majority of the dems posting here still wish McCain well. If the shoe were on the other foot and it was Obama with a cancerous growth, you would see this blog filled with repubs wishing death on the man. Just an observation on the character of the two parties....

July 28, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |