July 28th, 2008

McCain has mole removed

McCain is wearing a bandage after a mole was removed from his head.
McCain is wearing a bandage after a mole was removed from his head.

(CNN) – John McCain had a mole-like growth removed Monday from his temple, the McCain campaign said.

Doctors did not think the growth was cause for concern, but it was removed as a precautionary measure, the campaign said. It was noticed during McCain's standard three-month checkup and a biopsy on the mole was planned.

McCain was wearing a bandage on his face as a result of the procedure, but has since removed it.

McCain has had four malignant melanomas removed in the past. Three of them - on his left shoulder, left arm and left nasal wall - were limited to the top skin layer and were not invasive. They were removed in 1993, 2000 and 2002, and all were declared Stage 0, of little long-term concern.

But a fourth melanoma proved to be invasive and was removed from his left lower temple in 2000. He has since been cancer-free.

UPDATE: Speaking with reporters Monday, McCain said he is confident the removed mole is nothing major.

"As I do every three months, [I] visited my dermatologist this morning, she said I was doing fine, took a small little nick from my cheek, as she does regularly, and that will be biopsied, just to make sure that everything is fine," he said.

"But I want to again urge all Americans to wear sunscreen particularly this summer, stay out of the sun as much as possible. Wear sunscreen, and if you ever have any slight discoloration, please go to your dermatologist or your doctor, and get it checked up on. Melenoma is a preventable occurrence. It really is," he also said.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. TyWebb

What about Obama's hip?

July 28, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  2. Independent in Texas

It's so sad to see so many of Obama's supporters be so mean
    willed when it comes to somebody's health, "no matter who" the
    person is, it is just MEAN! God, help you all for the candidate
    you represent, – Guess that tells me who the better person is,
    and it sure reflects on your candidate and what he's done to manipulate you all to be as evil and arrogant as he is.

I've made my choice and hopefully so will all those who are decent
    and christian people. NoObama.

July 28, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  3. Henry n New York

FACT stress reduces the body's immune system – he has a form of skin cancer that has a high recurrence rate. If he were to become President he may have a series of health issues at his age. This is a serious cause for concern all politics aside.

July 28, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  4. Dotson, IL

There's nothing you can do with the truth, it will prevail, so be honest about the situation. It will be revealed soon than you expected. PEACE, LOVE AND PROSPERITY, NO MORE WARS.

July 28, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  5. Ed Ward

I hope McCain's mole is not cancerous.

But how about the growth on his butt? – Oh, no wait, that's Joe Lieberman..........

July 28, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  6. Ex-Republican for Obama

McCain is the greatest danger that this great nation faces today.
    Let us not elect a terrorist whom promotes unjust wars for self-promotion. Let us not elect a man whose morals allow him to betray his wife when she is becomes ill. An anti-american whom has helped our enemies produce 32 propoganda films. An inept serviceman whom graduated a dismal 884 out of 890. A man who will not support the veterans of this nation, voting against virtually every Veteran bill he has taken part on.

McCain-Not Hero, Just a ZERO!!

July 28, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  7. PJ at SanFran

It's unfortunate that McCain has so many health issues. I do wish him well and pray that he continues effectively in his duties as a public servant. Hopefully this mole isn't malignant.
    Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't vote for him even if he is healthy. But him having such a long medical history is concerning. Moreover, most US presidents tend to significantly age from the stress. I think that he should leave this race and take better care of himself and spend more quality time with family.

Obama 2008!!!

July 28, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  8. Jeff Brown

Thanks for the update!!!!!

July 28, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  9. Ike (Atlanta, GA)

This just let's people know he is old.

July 28, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  10. Republican for Obama

What is next, alzheimers? You are too old to run for the presidency. Do America a favor and stop.

July 28, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  11. Foreign Observer

I'm much less concerned about moles than about the long-term effects of his ordeal during the war. Who could survive five years of torture unscathed in mind and psyche? I worry about a man in power who must have nightmares such as his; I cannot imagine but that he is warped for life, for no fault of his own.

July 28, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  12. Pam

I disagree with the Senator's policies but wish him no harm. Hope this is just standard procedure.

July 28, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  13. Frank, Atlanta, GA

Health and age are legitmate concerns for the voting public.

Melanoma is highly matastic and is often fatal over time (it spreads to vital organs , if not ENTIRELY removed surgically).

Sorry, but this candidate is not qualified to president even with a medical waiver.

VOTE FOR BARACK OBAMA...IT'S THE RIGHT THING TO DO !!!!!!!!

July 28, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  14. unity

I don't think people are getting this. Melanoma IS MALIGNANT skin cancer. It is the most deadly and invasive & 75% of all deaths from skin cancer come from Melanoma. McCain has had four of these tumors removed already. This IS serious.

July 28, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  15. linda from South Dakota

umm a mole now,, whats next?? lol maybe it wasnt a mole, it was a bug device planted there from bush's kiss oh my oh my,, go obama!!!!!!!!!!!!!

July 28, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  16. Pat F

To all the caring Democrats trying to push a true war hero into his grave:

Good luck with God.

July 28, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  17. A Nightingale Sings in Berkley Square

I would suggest that the mole is the one that had a growth removed.

July 28, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  18. anymous

you cant win with 600 votes

July 28, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  19. DJ CO

I wish I had health insurance OR the money to be able to go to the doctor ONCE per year, let alone 3 or 4 times per year. Lucky you, Johnny Mac, you got all the basis covered. You have health insurance and a filthy rich wife!

July 28, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  20. Sean

This is a concern to me. Obviously, it's a good idea to elect a President that will be relatively healthy as he serves out his term. I'm not sure McCain would be. And of course, that's in addition to the fact that I've lost most of the respect I had for the man once he started up with the gutter-politics. There is no denying at this point that he'd represent a Bush 3rd term.

July 28, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  21. Concerned

I wish for Senator McCain good health, but not the Presidency of the United States of America.

July 28, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  22. fella from Chicago

Best you did it now, John. Not a good time to do it in January with the inauguration and all those photographers shooting you and Cindy at the White House celebration Ball. Maybe you can refer Barack to your doctor. Looks like Mr. Obama needs to have a mole or two removed before he gets back to work in the Illinois Senate.

July 28, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  23. Stella

I could never vote for McCain but I hope he's okay. My parents are 76 and 73 respectively so I don't wish harm nor bad health on him nor anyone else.

July 28, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  24. McCheezy

Time to ease into your rocking chair Sen. McCain.
    Don't worry, President Obama will take it from here...

July 28, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  25. RB from NH

*****************************************************

At least Obama could get up after he hurt his hip!

*****************************************************