July 28th, 2008

McCain has mole removed

McCain is wearing a bandage after a mole was removed from his head.
McCain is wearing a bandage after a mole was removed from his head.

(CNN) – John McCain had a mole-like growth removed Monday from his temple, the McCain campaign said.

Doctors did not think the growth was cause for concern, but it was removed as a precautionary measure, the campaign said. It was noticed during McCain's standard three-month checkup and a biopsy on the mole was planned.

McCain was wearing a bandage on his face as a result of the procedure, but has since removed it.

McCain has had four malignant melanomas removed in the past. Three of them - on his left shoulder, left arm and left nasal wall - were limited to the top skin layer and were not invasive. They were removed in 1993, 2000 and 2002, and all were declared Stage 0, of little long-term concern.

But a fourth melanoma proved to be invasive and was removed from his left lower temple in 2000. He has since been cancer-free.

UPDATE: Speaking with reporters Monday, McCain said he is confident the removed mole is nothing major.

"As I do every three months, [I] visited my dermatologist this morning, she said I was doing fine, took a small little nick from my cheek, as she does regularly, and that will be biopsied, just to make sure that everything is fine," he said.

"But I want to again urge all Americans to wear sunscreen particularly this summer, stay out of the sun as much as possible. Wear sunscreen, and if you ever have any slight discoloration, please go to your dermatologist or your doctor, and get it checked up on. Melenoma is a preventable occurrence. It really is," he also said.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. not important

Age should be an issue. There is no need to get offended. If McCain is elected he would be the oldest president in the history of United States.

July 28, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  2. Unknown

SOOOOOOOOOOO WHAT?

July 28, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  3. ted

This is not TMZ, give me something that matters....

July 28, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  4. Willow, from Iowa

His age doesn't bother me, his cognitive difficulties bother me a lot. His gaffes and confusions aren't normal for someone of his experience, who is supposed to know what is going on in our country.

they are obviously keeping a good eye on his skin cancer issues. I wish that someone would run some cognitive tests to see if he is slowly becoming more confused.

July 28, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  5. CWhite

The chickens are coming home to roost.

July 28, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  6. LynnB

Get a grip people and quit trying to make this something it is NOT!!!! My husband has them removed all of the time – it is NO BIG DEAL!!!! Get a life and quit trying to promote OBAMA. It's McCain '08 regardless of the media Messiah blessing from a previous Hillary supporter. McCain '08 all the way!

July 28, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  7. BKoi

This is the most interesting thing the McCain refrain has had to say in weeks! And quite frankly, I could care less! He can afford the best diagnostics and treatments anywhere in the world. I hate to be negative about it but, I'll save my concern for all the folks that die needlessly simply because they are poor, and are the very people that McCain doesn't care about.

July 28, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  8. NoMcSame

McDONE. McMole McBigC Novak now McSame, two in one day. How sweet it is. I don't care about McFace so don't cry to me about how mean I am for saying what I feel. He should get his face cut off and do like his wife and buy a fake one. Less republicans the better the world.
    Obama08 for a safer and better world.

July 28, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  9. Fordy in Jamaica

Don't like the guy but I hope all is well.

July 28, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  10. Megan

I was trying to hard not to laugh at the comment about him being a 'gargoyle.' He is a pretty ugly man in all honesty but I donot wish anything bad on him. Try some self tanner McCain. Stop going out in the sun since apparently your body cannot handle the elements well.

July 28, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  11. Vigla

Hopefully, McCain will be OK. Still not voting for him, though...

July 28, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  12. Cathy in MD

I wish Senator McCain only the very best of health. To be clear, a possible recurrence of his type of skin cancer would probably have little effect on his ability to be an effective Commander in Chief. He has, and would continue to have as President, the very best heath care in the entire universe … unlike me. It's really everything else about him that would render him ineffective. So, no thank you. Obama '08 - sore hip and all.

July 28, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  13. Devon Spencer

He still looks like Casper lol

July 28, 2008 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  14. Debby, NJ

What Is Going On With MCSHAME
    He Is Not Going To Last
    BARACK THE VOTE !!!

July 28, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  15. Heidi, CA

This confirms what I already believed. McCain's health situation is way too fragile to become President.

If he really only had cencerous moles removed in 1993, 2000, and 2002 then he would be out of the woods by now from these every 3 month trips and regular face butcher jobs he's been getting. This is the second time in the last 3 months that he has had something removed from his face. No way. He is a HUGE health risk to me!!! I want somebody that will stay together under the worst pressure and strain imaginable. He's NOT the man for that job. Pitty, Romney got buffaloed, HE IS HEALTHY, SMART and NOT SENILE!

July 28, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  16. Crush Rush

He will drop out of the race soon,but who will step in?

July 28, 2008 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  17. Myself

I love how even when an article about the man having a mole removed is posted, there are still Obama minions who will jump at the opportunity to insult him. I'm glad that at least some of you had souls enough to wish him well. Either way, this is a rather pointless article. I guess CNN was feeling guilty after covering every insignificant part of Obama's life and wanted to include McCain for once.

July 28, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  18. Jane, College Park. MD

I sure wish I had the free health care he has.

The mole on our economy is malignant, Bush tax cuts for the rich, the war in Iraq, juicy contracts awarded to Republican cronies are huge contributory factors. The Republicans have sold our country to the Saudis, so why would we want McSame?

July 28, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  19. ShirleyY - Seattle

I AM A HUGE OBAMA FAN, BUT I HOPE IT'S NOT CANCEROUS.

July 28, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  20. Nabeel

This is shameful. No matter what you think of the guy, his health is not something to be made fun of. And besides, he seems pretty healthy (for his age)...

July 28, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  21. Hussein Means Handsome

Perhaps it's time for Mr. McCain to retire. I'm glad he has a good health care plan though since a lot of American citizens don't.

July 28, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  22. Dianna from Texas

Roofin Realty said it best!

I wish the best for McCain, but this is cause for concern as we need a president to be able to sit for two terms in order to be effective. Let's face it, he's in his 70s. He's had prostate and skin cancer. That means he's susceptible to cancer. I like his warnings to use sunscreen and just stay out of the sun period.

July 28, 2008 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  23. judy, Wisconsin

At his age, he's on the brink of many health problems, including signs of dementia. It IS an issue people should think about.

July 28, 2008 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  24. ShirleyY - Seattle

I WILL PRAY FOR JOHN MCCAIN, BUT THINK HARD AMERICAN PEOPLE, IF THE CANCER HAS RETURNED, HOW WELL WILL HE HOLD UP AS PRESIDENT AND HOW LONG WILL HE LIVE. I HOPE IT'S NOT CANCER, IF SO MCCAIN DO THE RIGHT THING AND LEAVE THE RACE.

July 28, 2008 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  25. Hello!!!

Obama has had a mole removed, too......Who hasn't nowadays? It's called pro-active medicine. Smart of him.......

July 28, 2008 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |