July 28th, 2008

McCain has mole removed

McCain is wearing a bandage after a mole was removed from his head.
McCain is wearing a bandage after a mole was removed from his head.

(CNN) – John McCain had a mole-like growth removed Monday from his temple, the McCain campaign said.

Doctors did not think the growth was cause for concern, but it was removed as a precautionary measure, the campaign said. It was noticed during McCain's standard three-month checkup and a biopsy on the mole was planned.

McCain was wearing a bandage on his face as a result of the procedure, but has since removed it.

McCain has had four malignant melanomas removed in the past. Three of them - on his left shoulder, left arm and left nasal wall - were limited to the top skin layer and were not invasive. They were removed in 1993, 2000 and 2002, and all were declared Stage 0, of little long-term concern.

But a fourth melanoma proved to be invasive and was removed from his left lower temple in 2000. He has since been cancer-free.

UPDATE: Speaking with reporters Monday, McCain said he is confident the removed mole is nothing major.

"As I do every three months, [I] visited my dermatologist this morning, she said I was doing fine, took a small little nick from my cheek, as she does regularly, and that will be biopsied, just to make sure that everything is fine," he said.

"But I want to again urge all Americans to wear sunscreen particularly this summer, stay out of the sun as much as possible. Wear sunscreen, and if you ever have any slight discoloration, please go to your dermatologist or your doctor, and get it checked up on. Melenoma is a preventable occurrence. It really is," he also said.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. sandy

people who say they will not vote for this or that, when will you figure out it goes by electorial votes, peiod!

July 28, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  2. TEXAN

Even though I support Obama, I hope McCain is and will be OK. I do not wish him any harm. However, I do not believe that he is the best person for the Presidency. GO OBAMA !!!!!!

July 28, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  3. Moe, NY

McCain's "standard 3-month checkup"....Must be nice to have health insurance. The rest of the over 48 million uninsured Americans could die from melanomas and I am sure the Republicans could care less.

July 28, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  4. Steve

I'm glad to see that most of my fellow Obama supporters are wishing McCain well. I most certainly do the same.

The rest of you, get a life.

July 28, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  5. Wisest one of All

His brain was removed a long time ago!

July 28, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  6. Mike

THIS IS REALLY IMPORTANT! THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING!
    Oh, wait, no it doesn't. Issues, please, tho it was good to hear McCain was safe.
    Obama08

July 28, 2008 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  7. Walter, Long Beach

Who cares about McCain seeing his dermatologist? I want him examined by a neurologist!

The man shows serious cognitive deficit.

July 28, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  8. Brain Surgery?

I can see such headlines if McCain had his brain removed. For him this may be one in the same. What McCain has that millions of American's don't have is HEALTH INSURANCE AMERICAN PUBLIC PAYS FOR that will cover necessary medical expenses. All Americans should have what McCain has. All his life he has had government health insurance, as a child his father was in the military, then he was in the military and latter in congress and senate. McShame for not wanting to give all Americans..

July 28, 2008 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  9. tundemans

Of course we on Obama side are not mean spirited so we wish Mccain well. the white house is not a do or die affair. I wish Mccain will sit back and reflect on life and stop stooping so low to lying and attacking Obama irresponsibly like his folks want him to. may be it is backfiring in polls and God forbid his health. As a spiritual being beware of karma. do good to all mankind even if you are running for white house.
    Once again get well soon and Godspeed.

July 28, 2008 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  10. Al

McCain deserves prayers for his unfortunate bought with cancer.
    He's a war hero.

Obama has no resume to prove he can run our country.
    He reads his speeches.

He has had concerts before his speeches to draw crowds.
    He did it in Germany and Oregon.

McCain is a middle of the road guy that doesn't care about the crowds.

McCain is running a close race even though he's had less coverage and has been outspent three to one.

Americans are not stupid. Go McCain!

July 28, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  11. Livonia, MI

Holy Mole-y, McCain had a mole removed. Well when Obama was in Europe, McCain was making mountains out of Mole-hills.

July 28, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  12. CitizenAJ

72 if he raises his right hand on January 20, 2009. Better have a youn VP. I place my bet on the common sense of the hard working Americans around the country, including Applacia. They will not vote for someone who has nothing in common with them and who does not have their best interest at heart. Several homes, millionaire heirist wife, father and grandfather were both Navy Admirals. Senator McCain has NEVER worked hard in his life except his 5 years of captivity. Be honest. That's why John McCain's tax plan supports the already wealthy, similar to Bush's tax plan.

July 28, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  13. Geri

CNN...why do you refuse to publish my comments??? The one I wrote a few minutes ago was not nasty or derogatory.

July 28, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  14. Ryan, Denver

To use a little sport analogy – the presidency is a bit like playing quarterback for the country. Anyone who knows their football knows a solid qb is usually one in top form. Everyone admires the 39 year old for his experience, but when the game’s on the line – most would rather have the mobility, arm strength and stamina of the 28 year old.

July 28, 2008 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  15. Josh

"please go to your dermatologist or your doctor"

Umm...I can't afford health care so I guess I better vote democrat so maybe one day I can say I have a doctor, much less a specialist, I see every three months.

July 28, 2008 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  16. roger

PUMA = Operation Chaos = Rush Limbaugh

July 28, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  17. Farrell, Houston, Tx

McCain's mental and physical health is a concern not just a mole but I'm glad he's okay. McCain can show how patriotic he is by relinquishing his quest for the presidency and republicans need to step up and do what's best for the country and for their friend McCain.

July 28, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  18. Steve/Houston,TX for Obama

I do wish McCain the best in life as I do with any other person on Earth. With that being said, is he really "fit" to run this country? Let's be responsible and vote for the person who is actually in tune with the needs of the people. Barack Obama is intellectually in tune with America, he is physically fit to carry this country out of debt and war!

July 28, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  19. Jeff in Illinois

You're welcome John, I'm glad the $20k+ I paid in federal taxes last year helped pay for that!

Unfortunately, due to the rapid decline of the dollar caused by your party's debt & spend policies, I'm having trouble being able to afford my co-pay. I'm pretty sure I have a small fracture in my leg, but I won't know until payday.

July 28, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  20. Jason - Chandler, Arizona

Dr Sam

What cover-up? McCain is treated with kid gloves. He makes gaffes like refering to the Czech Republic as Czechoslovakia, 2 times. Here are McCain's own words from July 21, 2008, He (McCain) warned of a “very hard struggle, particularly given the situation on the Iraq-Pakistan border.” Not even close to each other and not 2 border sharing countries. Surely McCain with his "foreign" experience should have known this!!.. Also McCain's nursewife Cindy has to steady him by grabbing his elbow everytime he walks down stairs or steps!! I don't wish anyone cancer, but he is unfit to be president!!

July 28, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  21. Pat

To those who don't think McCain's health is important or should be a topic for this site, I disagree. Americans have a right to know about a Candidates' state of health. After all, should he be successful, (which he won't be) he will be making all the decisions about their Nation, ie; Military, Iraq War, Social Programs the (lack of) and the economy. Furthermore he is 75? years of age! Respectively, Obama's state of health should also be known. It seems many Americans appear to be more interested in their Candidates' Religious Background than their state of health. In my mind, that is a skewed perception of the essentials needed for President. . .

July 28, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  22. Bayou Joe

How ironic... McCain has Mole removed, yet we are allowing another Mole to enter into the highest office of our beloved country.

America beware who we entrust our nation to, the future of our country has never been so precarious.

July 28, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  23. Bobby

Hey, coming from an Obama supporter, could we please get some real news? Thanks.

July 28, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  24. Marj,Paso Robles, Cal

Did Dumbama withdraw from the race?

July 28, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  25. America for Truth

MOLE - I THINK HE HAS A BRAIN TUMOR. HE KEEPS MISQUOTING FACTS AND DISTORTING THE INFORMATION. HE DOESN'T KNOW WHAT COUNTRIES BORDER IRAQ, REFERS TO SHIITE AS SUNNI'S AND THOUGHT AL QAEDA WAS IN IRAQ BEFORE THE IRAQ WAR.

HELP US IF HE GETS ON OFFICE!

July 28, 2008 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |