July 28th, 2008

McCain has mole removed

McCain is wearing a bandage after a mole was removed from his head.
McCain is wearing a bandage after a mole was removed from his head.

(CNN) – John McCain had a mole-like growth removed Monday from his temple, the McCain campaign said.

Doctors did not think the growth was cause for concern, but it was removed as a precautionary measure, the campaign said. It was noticed during McCain's standard three-month checkup and a biopsy on the mole was planned.

McCain was wearing a bandage on his face as a result of the procedure, but has since removed it.

McCain has had four malignant melanomas removed in the past. Three of them - on his left shoulder, left arm and left nasal wall - were limited to the top skin layer and were not invasive. They were removed in 1993, 2000 and 2002, and all were declared Stage 0, of little long-term concern.

But a fourth melanoma proved to be invasive and was removed from his left lower temple in 2000. He has since been cancer-free.

UPDATE: Speaking with reporters Monday, McCain said he is confident the removed mole is nothing major.

"As I do every three months, [I] visited my dermatologist this morning, she said I was doing fine, took a small little nick from my cheek, as she does regularly, and that will be biopsied, just to make sure that everything is fine," he said.

"But I want to again urge all Americans to wear sunscreen particularly this summer, stay out of the sun as much as possible. Wear sunscreen, and if you ever have any slight discoloration, please go to your dermatologist or your doctor, and get it checked up on. Melenoma is a preventable occurrence. It really is," he also said.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Denise Groves

mole? from what? it is not from being in the sun. he is dead man walking!

July 28, 2008 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  2. Phil From VA

Old and useless

July 28, 2008 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  3. Caroline

I obviously don't want McCain to win, but I wish him well healthwise. He's been through a lot.

Obama '08

July 28, 2008 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  4. Wayne, Greenville TX

The way they keep removing things from Gramps McCain, there may be nothing left by Election Day....... :-)

July 28, 2008 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  5. Jenny

Mccain should take proper care of himself he looks so frail. I pray God gives him the strength he needs, to go on for a long long time.

July 28, 2008 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  6. J Houston, TX

Interesting!

No wait, the other one.

Boring!

July 28, 2008 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  7. Texas trail puppy!

I will never vote for McSame!!!! but i don't wish him ill, i hope he will be Ok.
    And it's saddening that the GOP had to put this man through the wear and tear of a stressful presidential campaign, were they so desperate that they couln't find a more physically and mentally fit candidate.
    Dems unite!!!

July 28, 2008 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  8. Roofin Reality, Houston, Tx.

As a supporter of Senator Obama,
    I pray that there is no residual effect to his health.

Now, with that said,
    I would like to point out that with his healthcare plans that he's advocating, especially if it were down the road towards more individual health plans, his policy would either non-renew, or would significantly increase. 4 check-ups per year, that's a lot for a relatively healthy person, even a senior.

My father is in his 70's and he doesn't go that often.

So, as we look at the competing healthcare plans, remeber the thought of him being able to go to the doc 4 times a year for a checkup. The plan he wants to offer us will likely be cost-prohibitive if we were to go more than once for an annual checkup.

Senator Obama, on the other hand, wants us to have the opportunity to have the plans that Senator McCain and all of the other people in Congress enjoy.

Again, best wishes on the health for Senator McCain.

Let's (Ba) Rock the vote with Obama.

July 28, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  9. Open Your 3rd Eye

WOW. Nice visual.

July 28, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  10. Lorna, NY

Was it maglignant? I guess we will never know.

July 28, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  11. Bubba

Good, melanoma is nothing to joke about. That being said, he should have Karl Rove removed next.

July 28, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  12. John

McCain is worse than GW. As bad as GW is, he doesn't talk in a condescending way, as McCain does.

His new mantra is Obama doesn't understand. Well McCain doesn't understand that most Americans don't think he would be a good presdent. He has never had more than 45% of the national vote. This is not the man for us, someone who was a D student all through college.

O/08

July 28, 2008 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  13. ProudToBeDemocrat

I wish him well, I like him as a person but not as a president.

July 28, 2008 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  14. McCain Lies!

I think in the coming days we will see that john mccain is physically and mentally not fit to run this country. We already see from his campaign that he certainly doesn't possess the judgement or fortitude to run it. By november it should be painfully obvious to even the die hard republicans that he would be a horrible choice.

July 28, 2008 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  15. Dennis Lee Hoffman, citizen of the world

I really wish you would have been elected in 2000, Mr. McCain. I pray that you remain cancer free and continue to do your best as a senator from Arizona.

Obama '08

July 28, 2008 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  16. Kofi, New lenox IL

well hope we are being told the true, all the true, nothing but the true.

July 28, 2008 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  17. sed

Let me guess he's going for the young and hip look!

July 28, 2008 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  18. Greg, NY

Did they find his brain inside of it?

July 28, 2008 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  19. PUMA-PAC - Hussein

Wait!! They completely removed McCain from the face of the planet?? ohh... nvm.. they removed a mole from McCain... got confused.. it happens at my old age.

July 28, 2008 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  20. NC Man

May God take care of you Mr McCain!!

July 28, 2008 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  21. Necie in OKC

He's falling apart at the seams.

July 28, 2008 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  22. tj

Why not remove McBush, and let the mole stay?

July 28, 2008 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  23. Typical White Person

Here come the Bots spewing age-related hatred...

July 28, 2008 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  24. NY State of mind

I am a Obama supporter and people don't stoop low on this article, someones health is no joking matter.

July 28, 2008 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  25. Thanh

This is going to be a problem for McCain as it raises doubt if he can be viable in the White House. People are going to wonder if they're voting for him or his running mate.

July 28, 2008 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |