July 28th, 2008

McCain has mole removed

McCain is wearing a bandage after a mole was removed from his head.
McCain is wearing a bandage after a mole was removed from his head.

(CNN) – John McCain had a mole-like growth removed Monday from his temple, the McCain campaign said.

Doctors did not think the growth was cause for concern, but it was removed as a precautionary measure, the campaign said. It was noticed during McCain's standard three-month checkup and a biopsy on the mole was planned.

McCain was wearing a bandage on his face as a result of the procedure, but has since removed it.

McCain has had four malignant melanomas removed in the past. Three of them - on his left shoulder, left arm and left nasal wall - were limited to the top skin layer and were not invasive. They were removed in 1993, 2000 and 2002, and all were declared Stage 0, of little long-term concern.

But a fourth melanoma proved to be invasive and was removed from his left lower temple in 2000. He has since been cancer-free.

UPDATE: Speaking with reporters Monday, McCain said he is confident the removed mole is nothing major.

"As I do every three months, [I] visited my dermatologist this morning, she said I was doing fine, took a small little nick from my cheek, as she does regularly, and that will be biopsied, just to make sure that everything is fine," he said.

"But I want to again urge all Americans to wear sunscreen particularly this summer, stay out of the sun as much as possible. Wear sunscreen, and if you ever have any slight discoloration, please go to your dermatologist or your doctor, and get it checked up on. Melenoma is a preventable occurrence. It really is," he also said.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Dan , TX

Hang in there Senator McCain. My parents are both still alive and they about your age.

July 28, 2008 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  2. swish

I'MORRY THAT THIS HAS HAPPENED TO JOHN Mccain ..........I WOULD NEVER VOTE FOR HIM ,BUT DO NOT WISH HIM ANY HARM. THIS MAY BE A GOOD REASON TO THINK LONG AND HARD BEFORE ANYONE VOTES FOR HIM.

July 28, 2008 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  3. Martha in Lake View, SC

Where has common-sense gone? Someone who has had four brushes with very deadly melanoma skin cancer should not be considered by voters for the job of the Presidency. This is a job that, if done right, would extreme stress on the strongest body. McCain does not have the health and the youth for this taxing job.

July 28, 2008 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  4. Sherry, Atlanta

Toooooo many Health Issues, McCain. Take a seat, and allow President Obama the opportunity to clean up the mess that Bush & Cheney has created. With all the FREE TRADE that was generated from the U.S. going into Iraq, it will take an Obama Administration and World Support to get America back on track. Bush & Cheney Sold Out the American People...ENOUGH!

July 28, 2008 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  5. Really?

I hope McCain is cancer free wouldn't want a president on chemo. That would really suck

July 28, 2008 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  6. unity

Hope it's ok and that he won't have to undergo further chemo or treatment – Malignant Melanoma is an incredibly serious diagnosis. It is the most invasive and deadly of all skin cancers. To have had 4 removed already should be a HUGE signal to all Americans. Please read up on this deadly disease and have your skin checked regularly by a trained physician.

July 28, 2008 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  7. Dawn Tx

Who Cares!!! Maybe too Much SURGE!!!!!

July 28, 2008 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  8. Chris S

I think John Mccain has cancer.

July 28, 2008 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  9. Anne E.

GEEZ, SLOW NEWS DAY????

July 28, 2008 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  10. Ernestine

I believe that these tumours should be of concern to voting Americans.

July 28, 2008 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  11. Brandy, NJ

Well this can't be good for the Mccain image. He's old. It shows.

Obama is young. inexperienced. arrogant. It shows.

<- Not voting this time. What a waste. Both will be bad for the country. Mccain might not make it through his term. Obama will change his position 20 times. Almost every idea he has had has completely changed as soon as the general started. Give me a break ... new kind of politician ... change ... Obama certainly understand change ... changes his mind every other day on issues.

July 28, 2008 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  12. jmm

PUMA
    PUMA
    PUMA
    PUMA

July 28, 2008 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  13. BWM

Even though I don't like McCain, I won't be be such a terrible person and make comments like the ones I have read regarding Obama's hip. I wish him well. What goes around comes around. Those of you who made such negative comments are heartless and I wouldn't wish any ill will on my worst enemy. I'm sure Obama will not miss your vote. This is news!

July 28, 2008 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  14. Ernest in MD

Poor McCain.
    Please get out of the race and take care of your health...

July 28, 2008 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  15. CFA Candidate

I am admittedly not a fan of McCain, but this one should be off limits. Anyone with any decency should not try to spin a medical procedure (necessary given his past) for political benefit. Either wish him well or don't say anything at all.

July 28, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  16. Donna, Bremerton, WA

Isn't in nice that Senator McCain is using his health care benefits that uninsured/underinsured Americans are paying for with their tax dollars. When will the ingrates, that serve in elected office (President, Vice President, the Members of Congress), start to reciprocate in kind.

Yes, boys and girls your tax dollars are being used to pay for the heath insurance that the President and Congress have so graciously provided to themselve and to hell with the rest of us.

July 28, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  17. Texas Trail Dog!

I CERTAINLY PRAY FOR JOHN McCAIN AND THAT THE MOLE WAS NOT MALIGNANT.

July 28, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  18. Ben I

Times like this require putting politics aside. I wish him the best and hope it’s nothing.

July 28, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  19. NPA

A little lie to cover a much bigger lie. Right out of Hitler's play book. Every observer can tell that McCain is mentally ill. So who is the McCain Campaign trying to fool with this mole story? Give me a break. Maybe McCain is the mole, the Manchurian Candidate.

July 28, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  20. Bradley In Colorado

McCain's body sure isn't going to hold up under the stresses of the presidency. Especially at this rate...

July 28, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  21. jean HUISSEIN (WHAT HAPPEN TO THE GREAT COUNTRY WE USED TO BE?)

MC ALZHEIMER IS PAYING THE PRICE OF RUNNING A DIRTY CAMPAIGN.

July 28, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  22. Michelle, PA

I will not vote for the man, but it must be scary to wait for test results after four cancer diagnoses. Hope everything comes out a-OK.

July 28, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  23. Bradley In Colorado

McCain's got one effed up head, both inside and out.

July 28, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  24. John McShame, Obama Is Going to Tax You & Cindy, but Not Me & 95% Americans Making < $250,000/Yr

Wish him well; even though I will NEVER VOTE FOR McSAME!
    But for all you pundits & right wing bigots, this campaign is not about Obama going in to see a doctor for a hip injury; or McSame seeing a doctor for a surgery...it's about the issues and I do believe that McSame views on the economy & foreign policies is old, antiquated and back-ward looking!

McSame screaming surge, surge, surge doesnt cut it!...it's about a broader spectrum of issues that americans are dealing with at this time, this age and he is NOT articulating his point of view to meet those challenges...does his age count, yes, and it's very telling...AND McSAME IS NOT THE RIGHT MAN AT THIS TIME, FOR THE PRESIDENCY...not after George Dubya have run our economy aground in the tone of $250 BILLION DOLLARS DEFICIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For McSame to say that we have seen "a significant economic progress" during George Dubya White House, just shows that his judgement due to age is = brain paralysis!!!!!!!

July 28, 2008 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  25. Jim Schimmer

Man, this guy might drop anyday.
    Can we really him now?

Not to be mean or something but we are talking about the presidency of the US.

July 28, 2008 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |