July 28th, 2008

McCain has mole removed

McCain is wearing a bandage after a mole was removed from his head.
McCain is wearing a bandage after a mole was removed from his head.

(CNN) – John McCain had a mole-like growth removed Monday from his temple, the McCain campaign said.

Doctors did not think the growth was cause for concern, but it was removed as a precautionary measure, the campaign said. It was noticed during McCain's standard three-month checkup and a biopsy on the mole was planned.

McCain was wearing a bandage on his face as a result of the procedure, but has since removed it.

McCain has had four malignant melanomas removed in the past. Three of them - on his left shoulder, left arm and left nasal wall - were limited to the top skin layer and were not invasive. They were removed in 1993, 2000 and 2002, and all were declared Stage 0, of little long-term concern.

But a fourth melanoma proved to be invasive and was removed from his left lower temple in 2000. He has since been cancer-free.

UPDATE: Speaking with reporters Monday, McCain said he is confident the removed mole is nothing major.

"As I do every three months, [I] visited my dermatologist this morning, she said I was doing fine, took a small little nick from my cheek, as she does regularly, and that will be biopsied, just to make sure that everything is fine," he said.

"But I want to again urge all Americans to wear sunscreen particularly this summer, stay out of the sun as much as possible. Wear sunscreen, and if you ever have any slight discoloration, please go to your dermatologist or your doctor, and get it checked up on. Melenoma is a preventable occurrence. It really is," he also said.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. jfs Memhis, Tn

Sorry to hear this....hope all is well. You have to admit it looks odd that Obama went to the hospital yesterday and now McCain has an issue ?? I am sure that I am wrong....but sort of looks like once again he follows Obama's lead. Hope I didn't insult anyone...but I understand that there was little concern of the seriousness of the skin mole....so question is ..............is either news worthy ????

July 28, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  2. Joe Matt

I think this just underscores the importance of John McCain's age. I wish him the best of luck heath-wise, but the nation needs a more virile president. You never know when his health problems could become more serious, and it is highly likely they will. At this time we need a president focused on improving the health of our nation, not the health of himself.

July 28, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  3. rdepontb

It was Joe Lieberman, right?

July 28, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  4. Dr. Sam

I am less concerned about McCain's mole or bandaged face than his negative campaign tactics, hyperboles and intemperate remarks. He has really surprised so many of us, showing that we didn't really know him well. He is turning out to be simply a politician who would say and do anything to get elected!

July 28, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  5. Hope

We are ALL praying that the Mole does not turn out to be cancer. Our prayers are with Senator McCain and his family.

July 28, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  6. ladida

oooohhhh lol i thought it was an actual MOLE! but i get it now.

July 28, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  7. Beverly, NYC

I do hope he's okay. But this is another reason why he is not fit enough to be President. We have had 7 years of Cheney's back an forth to the hospital. Do we need this kind of drama with the President? Even one that takes weekends off.

July 28, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  8. Connie

I do not want McCain as president and I do not think he is an honorable man , but my prayers are with him. OBAMA 08
    Connie from Indiana

July 28, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  9. Erin in Edmonds WA

McCain has has too many hospital and minor surgery events in the last 2 months. His health is deteriorating and his memory is on the decline. Forget that he can't speak plain words without stumbling, but this is too much of an indication that he will be spending more time in hospitals chasing health scares and will be ineffective as a president.

He needs to go home and relax for the rest of his life–well he will anyway when Obama is elected.

July 28, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  10. Miguel Rivera

This is just a reminder that McCain is really going to be a risky candidate .

July 28, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  11. scooter

Wow obama goes to the hospital for a bad hip and he gets praise. McCain has something actually medical done and all the Unity party comes out and bashes him. You people are the reason I will not vote for him. even if I did think he was capable of doing the job I wouldn't you little kids are just pathedic.

July 28, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  12. Stu

Try again McCaniacs. It's on Fox News' website. It IS news. Should we vote for someone who may get cancer when he is president?

July 28, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  13. Donna

Oh Please Matt..Obama is NOT about to have hip surgery but even if he were..so what?? how about you just wish BOTH of them good will with whatever medical issues they may or may not be having and leave it at that??

I hope McCain is ok..

July 28, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  14. Texun

I wish him the best–but certainly not the presidency. Age, along with physical and mental health, are appropriate issues with McCain. His venomous comments about Obama remind us that at heart he's a bitter old man, with highly questionable judgement. After al-Maliki and the White House dumped McCain's Iraq policy, he went off the deep-end into self-disclosing negativity. When Gramm, the Swiss-paid political operative, resigned as economic advisor, McCain appointed Carlie Fiona, who was fired as CEO of Hewlett-Packard for non-performance. She then became a designated hatchet-person! As Obama speaks in Berlin, McCain is having lunch at a German restaurant in Ohio! We can't afford another bumbler in the White House!

July 28, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  15. Doris,Memphis,TN

Although Senator McCain has been very negative lately, I pray that he is cancer-free and in good health.

July 28, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  16. BHO Not my candidate

If Mccain has cancer and drops out... and Romney takes over.. Mccain will Martyr a republican in.. I think you all should hope he is very healthy.. Oh and too the idiots that call him Mcsurge... the surge works as an Obama supporter you should forget about it... it makes you look like an idiot.

July 28, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  17. It's a miracle!

McCain is now running ahead of Obama by four points in the latest USA Today/Gallup Poll. Imagine that.

July 28, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  18. tai

Maybe now he can remove the tumor thats restricting him from thinking rationally and attacking obama personally like a 5 yr old girl.

July 28, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  19. JA Cook

I'll be glad to know it's nothing serious.

But can a mole make someone forgetful, angry and un-reasonably aggressive?

July 28, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  20. Obama 08: mature, white woman

He wanted equal time.

July 28, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  21. Nasty as ever

Some of you Obama supporters acted like grownups here, but most of you are as ugly and nasty as ever. Down with Obama and his suporters.

July 28, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  22. Patriot

50% of what's left of McCain's brain is now gone.
    Come election time, McCain will not have much brain left. lol

July 28, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  23. McCain The Man

to J Houston, TX
    Thanks for making me laugh. Most of these comments are rats and raves.

July 28, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  24. JO

Good for you McCain! Now you can enjoy your new +4 lead against Obama in the lastest Gallup: MCCAIN 49% – OBAMA 45%

July 28, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  25. Rudy NYC

Get Well, Big John. Don't want to see you go out for something like that.

July 28, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |