July 28th, 2008

McCain has mole removed

McCain is wearing a bandage after a mole was removed from his head.
McCain is wearing a bandage after a mole was removed from his head.

(CNN) – John McCain had a mole-like growth removed Monday from his temple, the McCain campaign said.

Doctors did not think the growth was cause for concern, but it was removed as a precautionary measure, the campaign said. It was noticed during McCain's standard three-month checkup and a biopsy on the mole was planned.

McCain was wearing a bandage on his face as a result of the procedure, but has since removed it.

McCain has had four malignant melanomas removed in the past. Three of them - on his left shoulder, left arm and left nasal wall - were limited to the top skin layer and were not invasive. They were removed in 1993, 2000 and 2002, and all were declared Stage 0, of little long-term concern.

But a fourth melanoma proved to be invasive and was removed from his left lower temple in 2000. He has since been cancer-free.

UPDATE: Speaking with reporters Monday, McCain said he is confident the removed mole is nothing major.

"As I do every three months, [I] visited my dermatologist this morning, she said I was doing fine, took a small little nick from my cheek, as she does regularly, and that will be biopsied, just to make sure that everything is fine," he said.

"But I want to again urge all Americans to wear sunscreen particularly this summer, stay out of the sun as much as possible. Wear sunscreen, and if you ever have any slight discoloration, please go to your dermatologist or your doctor, and get it checked up on. Melenoma is a preventable occurrence. It really is," he also said.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. John

They sure got a picture of his good side.

July 28, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  2. TheTruthHurts

CNN. I'm an Obama supporter, but I really wish you would hold off on these health related stories until there is a clear diagnosis from medical staff. Their health is relevant, speculation about their health is not.

July 28, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  3. Vig the poisonous

@ Vig
    You need to shut your mouth and get on prozac. Is there any thing you wont say just to pee on Obama because Hilary lost?
    You are a pathetic worm. Go away and lose your hate.

July 28, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  4. CMF

It's good McCain is advocating preventive medicine...too bad he can't offer Americans a healthcare plan that actually covers prevention for everyone.

July 28, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  5. gorefan

With a family history of heart disease (both his grandfather and father died at early ages of heart disease), being a two-pack a day smoker for many years, and at least two bouts with skin cancer, I only hope whoever he picks for his vp running mate is qualified to be president on day one and maybe before that.

July 28, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  6. Dian

I would not vote for him; but hope he is okay. What is really scary is the fact that so many consider voting for him considering his age and possible health issues. McCain has no message.... the only thing he's done the last few weeks is attack Obama.

July 28, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  7. Thomas

Ok, I can’t resist any more

Senator John McCain went into the hospital for surgery on his mole. The surgeons were able to successfully remove and dispose of the malignant growth. Doctors report that the mole is doing well and is expected to make a full recovery.

July 28, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  8. Abdi

Correction to CNN, to say that "McCain has had four malignant

melanomas removed in the past," suggests that all four were cancerous,

and therefore invasive, which is false. You should omit malignant.

Take a hike McCain.

July 28, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  9. ex-Republican for Obama

McWar is too old for the job of president.

July 28, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  10. jimmy from Idaho

poor Mccain wish him well

July 28, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  11. ANA G. LOS ANGELES. CA

Umm Mc Cain is falling apart

July 28, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  12. Ernie in LA

Do all of you folks who make fun of McCains age also make fun of your own Grandparents? One day you will get there as well. I can surely see that young people are for Obama. Grow up.

July 28, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  13. Mike

That ain't a mole ! ! ! That's his brain leaking out !! !

July 28, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  14. Bob Indianapolis, IN

Here's a man who would rather win the presidency and lose the battle against the ravages of time...Quit and get healthy, John!

July 28, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  15. al

*****************************************

HE COULD HAVE REMOVED HIS BIGGEST MOLE.....BUSH W.

July 28, 2008 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  16. Fred Atlanta, GA

Yeah I thought the surge was working and we have succeeded and we are winning??? So what's up with the 4 suicide bombers?? Will Mccain or one of his supporters please explain that?

OBAMA 08/12 YES WE CAN & YES WE WILL!!!!

July 28, 2008 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  17. Also Lisa

Although I will never vote for McCain and am completely against his policies, I do not wish ill health on him. That being said...

...CNN, couldn't you report on fiscal irresponsibility, gas prices, skyrocketing food prices, low wages, tax breaks for the rich, non-existent health care, global warming, alternative energy....

..I could go on.

July 28, 2008 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  18. Kevin

Mccain is too old for that job even as we wish him well.

July 28, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  19. tom

Is that urging from John including the 50 million Americans without health care?

July 28, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  20. Bdud

C' om.. the fair and balance network had this story up an hour earlier than CNN. but they are not posting any comments. Hmmm !!

July 28, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  21. Michael

Wow. Thanks for the inane coverage.

July 28, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  22. Richard

Has anyone checked his mental health?? seriously have any professionals looked deep into his mind? He experienced trauma and has anger issues. I think he has early alzheimers too. My 72 year old grandmother sees it in him.

July 28, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  23. Adam

BREAKING NEWS FROM DEMOCRATIC PARTY:

A study today indicates that skin cancer is caused from stress surrounding the presidency....o wait it has nothing to do with stress at all.

July 28, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  24. Mark

Wow I hope everything comes back clean but if he has to go every three months what does that actually say for his health. I mean sure I get a free check up once a year per my health plan. Is McCain in need of a check up every three months and if so is that a precation to check up on something that can or has come back.

July 28, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  25. Abe

TOO MUCH FLIP-FLOP +TOO MUCH SURGE= TOO MUCH MOLE.

July 28, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |