July 28th, 2008

McCain has mole removed

McCain is wearing a bandage after a mole was removed from his head.
McCain is wearing a bandage after a mole was removed from his head.

(CNN) – John McCain had a mole-like growth removed Monday from his temple, the McCain campaign said.

Doctors did not think the growth was cause for concern, but it was removed as a precautionary measure, the campaign said. It was noticed during McCain's standard three-month checkup and a biopsy on the mole was planned.

McCain was wearing a bandage on his face as a result of the procedure, but has since removed it.

McCain has had four malignant melanomas removed in the past. Three of them - on his left shoulder, left arm and left nasal wall - were limited to the top skin layer and were not invasive. They were removed in 1993, 2000 and 2002, and all were declared Stage 0, of little long-term concern.

But a fourth melanoma proved to be invasive and was removed from his left lower temple in 2000. He has since been cancer-free.

UPDATE: Speaking with reporters Monday, McCain said he is confident the removed mole is nothing major.

"As I do every three months, [I] visited my dermatologist this morning, she said I was doing fine, took a small little nick from my cheek, as she does regularly, and that will be biopsied, just to make sure that everything is fine," he said.

"But I want to again urge all Americans to wear sunscreen particularly this summer, stay out of the sun as much as possible. Wear sunscreen, and if you ever have any slight discoloration, please go to your dermatologist or your doctor, and get it checked up on. Melenoma is a preventable occurrence. It really is," he also said.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Rocky

Some you people are disgusting. This is nothing to joke about if you think it helps your candidate to act like a heartless fool you are sorely mistaken.

July 28, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  2. JoeMamma

....and it was named Joe Lieberman

July 28, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  3. Mike from L.A.

No disrespect to McCain, but it seems like if he's elected, he'll be falling apart in front of us. I would prefer for the man to be in a less stressful position than the white house. I don't think he physically could take all that stress. Just look at all Presidents age and slug after taking office.

July 28, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  4. California Gold

We now have the McCain Policy for Health Care: "Wear sunscreen particularly this summer" You read it here first.

July 28, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  5. Johnny

Age is a huge factor in this campaign. Now we have to deal with this kind of drama every 3 months.

Its his mental health I am more worried about

July 28, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  6. HM

I think McCain needs to announce his Vice-President as soon as possible. He is 76 years old and if elected he has 4 years to serve finishing out his term at 81 yrs old if he makes it..... So his Vice President should get a desk in the oval office as well.

July 28, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  7. Proud to be American

May God bless McCain – do not want him as my President but I wish him no harm.

July 28, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  8. Sickos

Some of you people should be ashamed of yoursleves. Disgusting.

July 28, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  9. Abe Froman - Chicago

All of you who are complaining about the Surge. And how there was a bombing today in Iraq that killed people.

Let me ask you a question. How many people in the US are murdered everyday? I am willing to bet you that it is far greater than how many people were killed today in the Suicide Bombings in Iraq.

July 28, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  10. Johnny

Well, I hope it's nothing, and I wish the senator good health and a long career... in the senate, where he belongs, nowhere near the White House.

July 28, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  11. Pat-Pittsburgh

I just love how the Obamanuts call McCain old, but Barack has a hip problem at 47. Whose old?

July 28, 2008 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  12. A. From Orlando

That's a mask that he wears over his real face. Who knows what' s really under there! Go Mcain for President mask and all!

July 28, 2008 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  13. Pati

You know, I am all for Barack, but I don't like to see people getting bashed for their medical concerns.

There is some good in McCain, maybe not for the white house completely, but there is some he like most others of his generation that is just as good to.

My only concern is that his prior history of having removed the malignant melanoma, could come back if not all the epithilial cells haven't been removed. Also, why would anyone remove a Mole? Moles are benign and need not to be removed unless suspicious.

It seems this was removed for biopsy to determine if this malignant melonoma....I ONLY HOPE IT'S NOT!!

July 28, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  14. Independent-woman-4-Obama

I hope that Sen. McCain will be okay. Skin cancer can be terrible.

Even though I support Sen. Obama........... I can rise above my distaste of McCain to wish him well. Which is something the far-right-nuts can't seem to be, civil.

July 28, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  15. MikeH

Darn those pesky melanomas, they always pop up at the most inconvienient times.

Actually, hope that McCain's health is good. I think he would be an awful president, but have nothing against him personally.

July 28, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  16. Brendose, Oceanside ca

Poor guy........he's just old....

Look at him, he's aged 3 years in 6 months.........

Do you really think he could last 4 years in one of the most stressful times a new President is going to endure?

Come on........look, he's completely bald on the top of his head now.

In the beginning, he could at least do a comb over.

I wish him the best health wise........and I think the best thing for his health is to lose in November.

July 28, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  17. mike

God help us if they accidentally removed any more brain cells!!

July 28, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  18. Veterans For Obama

Its a good thing he's being proactive.

July 28, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  19. Greg FL.

I just saw the new Mcsame ad. I think it's despicable that Mcsame used military wounded for political gain. And nice Carl Rove twisting of the facts. McCain if you are going to endorse an ad like that. You don't deserve to be a commander of any troops or anything. You have sunk to a new low. What happened to the straight talk express? The wheels fall of the bus? You have become a sad desperate little man. I can't believe anyone would vote for you. This is the exact kind of politics you said you wouldn't resort too. Just another flip flop I guess.

July 28, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  20. Gary of El Centro, Ca

Great point Roofin Reality. If McCain had to rely on the health insurance he wants the rest of us to have, he would be up the proverbial creek with no paddle.

July 28, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  21. Demetrius

The title should have been "The Mole". This guy won't make it through 2 terms. We'll be electing the Veep if we elect him. Anyway, He looks like grandpa from the monsters.

July 28, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  22. Dr.Mimi De La Cruz for OBAMA

ALL MCBUSH SUPPORTERS SHOULD THINK

OF THEIR GRANDPARENTS & THEIR BEHAVIOR.

MCWORTHLESS' BOUT WITH CANCER IS THE LEAST

OF HIS HEALTH PROBLEMS. MAN CAN'T GET DOWN

THE STAIRS OF HIS PLANE WITHOUT HELP. HE CALLED

PUTIN PRESIDENT OF GERMANY SEVERAL TIMES IN A

TOWN HALL MEETING. HE CAN'T REMEMBER THAT

CZECHOSLOVAKIA HASN'T EXISTED FOR 16 YEARS.

OLD BOY NEVER HAD MUCH TO BEGIN WITH,

BUT NOW APPROACHING ZERO.

July 28, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  23. Dave

CNN this is dumb new..what's next McCain goes to the dentist or Obama just put his shoes on..c'mon..get back to the news

July 28, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  24. E. Scott

Before you vote you need to decide if yo want Jeremiah Wright in the Obama cabinet.

July 28, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |