July 28th, 2008

McCain: Voters should not be concerned about my health

Catch the full interview on CNN's Larry King Live, 9 p.m. ET.
Catch the full interview on CNN's Larry King Live, 9 p.m. ET.

(CNN) - John McCain told CNN’s Larry King Monday that voters should not be concerned about his health, hours after the Arizona senator had a mole-like growth removed from his face.

McCain, who has had four malignant melanomas removed in the past, told reporters earlier in the day his doctor does not believe the latest growth is serious and was removed as a precautionary measure.

In the interview with King, McCain said he now takes precautions from the sun and is not concerned his skin cancer will return.

"Melanoma, if you look at it and be careful it's fine," he said. "I had one serious bout with it and that was frankly due to my own neglect. I let it go and go and go. In fact, I was running for president at the time. I'm not making that mistake again."

Three of McCain's past melanomas — on his left shoulder, left arm and left nasal wall — were limited to the top skin layer and were not invasive. They were removed in 1993, 2000 and 2002, and all were declared Stage 0, of little long-term concern.

But a fourth melanoma proved to be invasive and was removed from his left lower temple in 2000.

McCain also said he gets a routine skin checkup every three months, and his doctor often removes small patches of skin to ensure he remains cancer free.

"We do it quite frequently for those of us that were young and had great exposure to the sun," he said. "As you know my dad was in the Navy and we lived in places where I was at the beach a lot, and I'm paying the price for that."

McCain's comments also came shortly after the Mayo clinic issued a statement on the procedure.

"This morning, as part of his commitment to monitor his dermatological health on a regular basis, Senator John McCain visited the Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Arizona, for a routine examination. As a precaution, a biopsy was ordered of a very small area on Senator McCain's right cheek. This is a routine minor procedure," said Michael Yardley, Chair of Public Affairs at the Mayo Clinic/

Catch the full interview with McCain tonight on Larry King Live, 9 p.m. ET

Filed under: John McCain
  1. OK!

CNN) — John McCain told CNN’s Larry King Monday that voters should not be concerned about his health, hours after the Arizona senator had a mole-like growth removed from his face
    Who CARES!!!!

July 28, 2008 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |
  2. Alice

When it comes to John McCain, I am not concerned about his health. I am concerned with his memory loss and his lack of a campaign message. He's all over the place and hasn't had an original policy proposal since the gas-tax holiday. What scares me even more about McCain, however, is how reporters feel obligated to not only spin his errors, but his lies.
    Recurrence of McCain's skin cancer, I'm afraid, as unfortunate as that may be, does not compare to the impact the dis-service the media is doing to voters. By overlooking, or at the very least, underplaying McCain's errors and fallacies of both his condemnation of his opponent as well as his inability to relate a coherent vision for the future of this country, we run the risk of not only 4 more years of Bush- league imperialism, but a mis-guided, fractured administration that will further devastate not only America, but the world.

July 28, 2008 11:00 pm at 11:00 pm |
  3. New Yorker

With age comes experience and wisdom. I'm not worried about McCain's health. I know plenty of people in their 70's and 80's who have plenty of stamina and are in great health. I know a lot of youngsters who are not in good health and don't have a clue about what is going on in the world.
    Vote for experience and wisdom. NOT Obama.

July 28, 2008 11:01 pm at 11:01 pm |
  4. David Newport, OR

Only makes you wonder about the qualifications of who he will pick as VP given the fact that it will only be based on who can help him win the evangelical vote. Yep...no worries there.

July 28, 2008 11:05 pm at 11:05 pm |
  5. Obama-Junkie, IL

Uhhh...I think McCain needs someone more credible and knowledgeable to answer the questions of his health.

McCain's statement would be similiar to GW Bush saying in 2004,
    'Voters should not be concerned about my intelligence'!

July 28, 2008 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  6. Alex

I'm beginning to believe John McCain isn't listening to some of the things that concern voters about him. Of course his health is an issue to many in addition to his agew that is nothing more than yet another concern about his future ability to lead this country. The folks running McCain's campaign are obviously amateurs and must be blind not to see many of his recent appearance as nothing short of mediocre to miserable showings. It strikes me that the only thing saving McCain from a landslide loss is the flip flopping and thoughtless important issue mistakes Obama and his campaign are making.

July 28, 2008 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  7. Independent

I know this is a serious matter and one that stays in the minds of voters no matter what. We'll wait on the results of the checkup before real speculation begin

July 28, 2008 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  8. mikeE DANVILLE VA

I'm not cocerned about your health nor you. What I i'm concerned are the LIES you are telling I mean they are so far out their that I believe that when our soldiers lives are being used to get votes. I say if we have in your words Won then bring them home. There are people killing each other here in the U.S.A. Are you telling us their will be no violence in Iraq before we leave. If that is the case then you just should'nt just be the president you should be a super hero. JOHN' THE CRYBABY' MCAIN

July 28, 2008 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  9. John

B.S.

July 28, 2008 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |
  10. DEMOCRAT

We are nore than concerned... cancer, dementia all the above are quite a problem

July 28, 2008 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |
  11. bk

McCain is probably in better health than skeleton looking Obama.

July 28, 2008 11:30 pm at 11:30 pm |
  12. George

My concern is that if he were to become president, that he will not be able to function as needed. Time saps your energy and I know it ,because I am his age.
    I cannot work even 8 hours straight any more. Can you imagine that? The president has to put a good many 12 hours days!!

July 28, 2008 11:39 pm at 11:39 pm |
  13. sharong58

I am more concerned about his mental health and age! Who wants a president who mispeaks and get his history screwed up a lot, who seens to lose his train of thought sometimes when speaking and is
    showing early signs of dementia! Next thing ya know, he'll be pulling "Ronald Reagans" on us and stopping in the middle of sentences because he can't remember what point he was making!
    My mother had dementia and we had to put her in a nursing home at age 77 because she couldn't remember who she was, who I was, what day and/or year it was nor who was President!
    I really think in the future, congress should put a limit on how old you can be when you run for office. I would say before retirement age.
    By the way, my mother, who had very good health most of her life, died 5 years after we put her in the nursing home.
    I want someone fresh, young, sharp, innovative, and who has good
    judgement. It doesn't really matter if they have political experience, we've had many good presidents who were not in the military. I want someone who can stay levelheaded in a crisis, who thinks things thru and makes good decisions . . and that somone isn't John McSame! . . . . Obama in 08

July 28, 2008 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  14. lemonton

Of course McCain does not want us to think about his health,old age and he collapsing on 1/20/2009. This election is not really between Obama and McCain but between Obama and MCain's VP pick.

July 29, 2008 12:04 am at 12:04 am |