July 28th, 2008

New pro-Obama ad to air on MTV and Comedy Central

Moveon is hitting the airwaves with a new ad.
Moveon is hitting the airwaves with a new ad.

(CNN) – A liberal advocacy group is targeting young voters in a new political television ad that promotes Barack Obama’s presidential bid set to run on MTV and Comedy Central. While MoveOn.org never states Obama’s name in the ad, it uses a campaign slogan the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee often repeats on the campaign trail: “Hope.”

WATCH: MoveOn's new ad

“Hope: It Could Happen to You,” parodies advertisements frequently directed to younger television viewers about the ill effects of drug use and abuse. Instead, of trying to scare its target audience away from making it a habit to use drugs, the ad suggests that Obama’s message of hope is a positive habit.

MoveOn.org announced Monday that it will spend $150,000 to run the ad for one week on both networks, which cater to younger voters.

Last week, MTV aired its first ever political ad, according to a report by MTV News. “Both Ways Barack,” targeted Sen. Barack Obama and suggested the presumptive Democratic nominee holds inconsistent positions on various issues at the same time.

(Full script after the jump)

Script:

Guy 1: I never thought it could happen to me.

Girl 1: I've been living with it for awhile now.

Guy 2: I got it from her.

Guy 3: I mean, this could happen to anybody.

Girl 2: Anybody.

Guy 4: I have hope.

Guy 5: Hope.

Guy 6: Yeah, it's true.

Guy 1: I'm sorry mom, I'm sorry.

Guy 7: For eight years...

Girl 2: we all thought it was gone.

Girl 1: And now it's back.

VO: Hope. It could happen to you.

Girl 3: This is your brain...

Guy 2: and this is your brain on hope.

VO [Disclaimer]: MoveOn.org is responsible for the content of this advertisement.

Filed under: MoveOn
  1. mike

Hope – That will solve all our problems right? This guy is a media creation, am empty suit selling flowery rhetoric. No ideas no experiance God help us if that clown gets elected

July 28, 2008 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  2. Brian

Please! Moveon.org is so totally yesterday. Obama even threw them under the bus.

July 28, 2008 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  3. Mike

Is that Shawn Hunter from Boy Meets World?

July 28, 2008 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  4. gary

WHAT A BIG JOKE LIKE THE CANIDATE HIMSELF. O.B. IS JUST A BIG MEDIA CLOWN.AMERICA GETS WHAT THEY ASK FOR.

July 28, 2008 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  5. Mike

We can only hope that Obama's AD's will not be half as Lame as Sleepy McLame's AD's have been. Dr. NO ?

July 28, 2008 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  6. Peter (CA)

Oooo, but it's that evil MoveOn.org.
    They are Satan...well, them and the ACLU.

Why can't they be more respectful of candidates....you know, like T Boone and the Swift Boaters for "Truth".

July 28, 2008 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  7. Proud American

Obama for Prez!!!!

July 28, 2008 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  8. Reasonable Observer

Was there a PoliticalTicker post related to the MTV ad that was not pro-Obama? Why is the pro-Obama MoveOn.org ad news worthy while the other one was not?

July 28, 2008 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  9. Monica for Obama in Indiana

I like it. good move MoveOn

July 28, 2008 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  10. Bob

Since we dont teach our children the difference between socialism and free enterprise Obama the socialist will probably scoop up most of the votes of the under 30 crowd.

July 28, 2008 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  11. non-white & non-black person

it's about time I hear an Obama ad, all I hear these days are McCain ads. How come McCain isn't up by 20points because he has so many negative ads out on Obama. I am tired of McBush

July 28, 2008 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  12. Joe the Troll

Bad news about the MTV ad. People who watch MTV will believe ANYTHING.

July 28, 2008 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  13. Lande Sanusi

Nice... Very motivating.

July 28, 2008 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  14. Daniel, VA

Move On and Obama himself think that White House is a playground.
    Get a life. You can play it in your backyard. Get lost.

July 28, 2008 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  15. Jody Monroe

Interesting, provocative. One of the things that make you go "hmmmmmm..."

July 28, 2008 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  16. Texas Trail Dog!

THAT'S WERE HE OUGHT TO BE. HE'S SUCH A JOKE.

July 28, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  17. Scott from Michigan

The dude looks out of it.

July 28, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  18. Bibek

AWESOME! :-P

July 28, 2008 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  19. McCain the Man

I don't need hope, I've got George

July 28, 2008 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  20. Texas trail puppy!

McSame: " I know how to win WARS". "I know how to catch BIN LADEN". "Did I also mention that I know how to spell S-U-R-G-E", and on and on he goes where he will stop nobody KNOWS.
    OBAMA ' 08

July 28, 2008 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  21. terry,va

The "young" people in this country that are going to vote for Obama need to look at the issues and what each candidate is saying instead of making "Old McSame" comments. The problem with what I have seen from his supporters are they have never had a job, never paid taxes, and have no idea how the world rotates. Remember the adage, "the older I get the smarter my parents are." Don't be fooled by the speeches. Don't you wonder why Obama won't debate in a town hall meetings? Don't you want real questions from real people which would require real answers? No more scripted meaningless speeches!!! Obama is a chicken at the debate podium and certainly would be one in national security issues.

July 28, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  22. NoBama

This may work on brain dead teenage girls who like "the hills" but this is one 19 year old voter who won't vote for the Hope Dope.

McCain 08

July 28, 2008 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  23. TheTruthHurts

Not very good, but at least not as divisive as many.

July 28, 2008 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  24. Phil, FL

Good – it will beat the daylights out of all the hate and fear spewing from the repukes.

Thanks, Dems. Hope for a better future with peace and NO MORE REPUBLICAN WARS.

July 28, 2008 08:29 pm at 8:29 pm |
  25. terry,va

Stick your head in the sand and HOPE...HOPE...HOPE. We don't need hope, we need some one that can make it happen!!!! Yes we can....McCain 08

July 28, 2008 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |