July 29th, 2008

Kaine stays mum on Veep buzz

Kaine is staying mum on reports he is on the top of Obama's VP list.
Kaine is staying mum on reports he is on the top of Obama's VP list.

(CNN) - The vice presidential buzz is circling around Gov. Tim Kaine, but the Virginia Democrat refused to address the speculation in a radio interview Tuesday.

"What I said about this is that I have been on board with the campaign since February 2007, but I don't talk about my conversations with the campaign," the first-term governor told Washington radio station WTOP. "You know I save my advice, thoughts, etc., for those conversations and I don't really share them."

Kaine, who hails from an increasingly purple state the Obama campaign hopes to snatch from Republicans this cycle, has long been considered a top vice presidential prospect. But speculation increased Monday night after both the Washington Post and the Politico reported Kaine is on top of the Illinois senator's VP short list.

According to the Washington Post, Kaine has told his close advisers he has had "very serious" conversations with the Obama campaign about the position and is eagerly jockeying for it.

CNN Political Market: Kaine's stock on the rise

But speaking to WTOP on Tuesday, Kaine said he did not endorse Obama to "get anything or get appointed to anything."

"It's flattering to be mentioned, my mom loves it, she calls me, she sees it," he said. "But that's for the campaign to decide. The campaign has made very good decisions thus far. And I think, how ever they decide, they are going to make a very good decision about Senator Obama's running mate."

CNN Election Center: Who's on the VP shortlist?

Later in the broadcast, Kaine also refused to say whether he has any meetings planned with Obama: "I've got my 13-year old daughter in the studio. We have a date right after this and that's the only thing on my calendar."

Many political observers have noted Kaine would bring several advantages to the Democratic ticket - in addition to hailing from a conservative-to-moderate state, he has never served in Washington and could easily espouse Obama's message of change. He, like Obama, is also a fresh face in political circles and a graduate of Harvard Law School.

But Kaine has only served as governor for three years, and it's likely his name on the ticket will do little to assuage voter concerns that Obama lacks the experience to be president. Kaine also does little to shore up the Illinois senator's short resume on national security credentials.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Tim Kaine
  1. David

Personally think is a good choice, help move the country to a new kind of politics without all of the old school corruption that is the politics of the McCain generation (there should be more discussion on the financial scandal that dirtied McCains hands and should have forced him permanently from politics)

July 29, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  2. Jay

To all of you that think you can do better than Senator Obama. Why don't you run for public office and stop arm chair quarterbacking.

July 29, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  3. meg

He acts like he was elected President already......is it democracy?? or is it arrogance???........wow

July 29, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  4. Linda

Who is this Kaine guy? Ger smart Obama, Hillary is still out there and you need her.

July 29, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  5. DC

I dont want hillary on the ticket there's a few reasons why....reason 1 she cant manage her own money what makes you think she's qualify as president (she'll mess the economy up bad) and reason 2 she cant run her own man what makes you think she can run this country

July 29, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  6. NV

I don't agree with those who say Hillary "deserves" to be the nominee or "deserves" to be President. The only Democrat I can think of that "deserves" the Presidency is Al Gore who should have been the winner in 2000. But that's in the past.

People should vote for candidates based on platforms, not divisive gotcha politics. If you are not gonna vote for Obama it should be b/c you don't like his platform–not because you don't like how some corporate media conglomerate treated one of his rivals. I'm not gonna vote for McCain because I don't agree with his policy views. I don't care if he's 72 or 42, if i don't agree with the platform then I'm not gonna vote for him.

I strongly urge my fellow registered voters to vote based on policy positions. Get educated! I don't care if you vote for Nader, Barr, or even Pat Robertson...as long as you are an educated voter that is voting on the issues.

July 29, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  7. Chris (New Jersey)

Kaine is an inspiring leader and provides good chemistry but has little experience in Washington. The next administration will inherit too many problems and gridlock; hence, the need for Obama's cohabitation with an experienced Washington insider who converts into a champion of change. Obama should also consider someone who can help energize his base, the Democratic party.

July 29, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |