July 29th, 2008

Obama huddles with VP vetters, again

Obama head to his VP vetter's office again Tuesday.
Obama head to his VP vetter's office again Tuesday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Barack Obama spent a second day off the campaign trail Tuesday, using his time in the nation’s capital to talk with Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson, Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke, and Pakistani Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani.

But it was his “secret” visit to the office of a key campaign advisor that is drawing just as much attention. For the second day in a row, Obama stopped by the office of Eric Holder – a former Justice Department official who is leading the search for his vice presidential running mate. The campaign was mum on the details of Obama’s visit to Holder’s office other than to note that time had been blocked off for “private meetings.”

The Obama campaign told reporters that the Tuesday meeting would last more than two hours. Obama and his aides have been diligent about revealing very little about the vice presidential search. Whenever he is asked about it, Obama routinely says, “The next time I talk about my vice presidential selection, it will be to introduce that selection.”

With the Democratic convention one month away, speculation is mounting about when Obama will announce his running mate. Will it be before the Olympic Games, which start the first week of August, or shortly before the beginning of the convention at the end of the month? The same political parlor game is taking place on the Republican side as John McCain, too, wrestles with who will be his vice presidential running mate.

As for Obama, several names keep popping up as being under serious consideration such as Indiana Sen. Evan Bayh, Delaware Sen. Joe Biden, Virginia Gov. Tim Kaine, and Kansas Gov. Kathleen Sebelius. In the past 24 hours, Kaine has drawn most of the atttention thanks in part to stories written in The Washington Post and Politico about the Obama campaign vetting the governor. In an interview on Washington radio station WTOP Tuesday morning, Kaine said he is flattered to be mentioned but noted that the decision is up to the campaign.

1. Fred

YAY, more VP talk without any real news.

July 29, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  2. jason, tx

PICK ALREADY!!!!!

July 29, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  3. randy

this guy will win this election.

July 29, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  4. ch

No Hillary as VP=No vote for Obama.

July 29, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  5. Griff

Who says the USA as Flipped it's Lid??? We are Sane... Everybody else, is off it's Rocker... We are a Super Flower... We have Obama, the Narcisus to prove it....

July 29, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  6. Silence Dogood

Asked who he met with, Obama jokingly responded, "some guys."
    Asked about what exactly he will Change in government: "some stuff."

July 29, 2008 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  7. JJ

Another Obama VP article?

CNN: You and the rest of media please leave this man alone! Geez! I'm beginning to think the man can't even go to the bathroom in peace!

July 29, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  8. Griff

Unlucky for Some! I count 13 Bloggs. No mention of John McCain CNN.... Bias????????????

July 29, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  9. ben

I know everyone is wants to know, but just be patient, we will know soon enough.

July 29, 2008 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  10. Bushwhacked in Eugene, OR

I'm an Obama supporter and I expect he will make a wise choice. BUT, I personally believe a VP should be someone who has some qualifications to actually be president should that be required. And I feel that way regardless of who is running in any party. This is one selection that should be made less on politics and more on what's best for the country.

Other than that, doesn't much matter to me who he chooses.

July 29, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  11. H. Thompson

BIDEN!
    HE CALLS IT LIKE HE SEES IT.

July 29, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  12. Saad from NJ

I think Senator Obama absolutely and completely loves CNN just like I do and is doing this on purpose. He runs in and out of the VP Vetters office just to give CNN ticker something to write about... LOL.

July 29, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  13. S. Boatman

Unlike Mccain, . . Obama Has His Act Together! He Keeps His Eyes On The Prize, Takes Care Of Business, And Brings New Ideas And Offers Solutions! Mccain Is Just A Lying, Flip Flopping Panderer That Has No New Ideas And Offers No Logical Solutions To Americas Problems! Mccain Just Wants To Stay At War, Start New Wars, And Continue The Failed Policies Of The Bush Administration! And I Believe Everytime He Grins He Is Thinking About That Rape Joke!

July 29, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  14. Peggy - TX

My take on so-called Hillary supporters: Hillary or else! Hillary or else ! Wa!!! Wa!! Wa!! I live for Hillary. I don’t care about Democratic values … I just want to see Hillary as president because … to my dieing breath I shall fight for her and hate any one that opposes her …. I want …. I want …. Its all about what I want …. Bend to my will you bad man Obama… or else ……

July 29, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  15. Jim Franklyn

Obama needs to stick to his guns and get an outsider. Washington is completely broken and broken down like John McCain.

Poor Mr. McCain needs to go to pasture. He will never be able to hack the grueling schedule as commander and thief.

July 29, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  16. Amazed

You guys really need to get a life. What is he supposed to do, sit around twittling this thumbs?

July 29, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  17. Jon

BILL RICHARDSON!

July 29, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  18. McArsenic

Mr. McCian...will you raise taxes to save SS?
    John mcCain: "nothing is off of the table"
    later a young girl asked again if McCain would raise taxes.
    john McCain: "no"
    it seems Mccain is on the fence ,or the great wall of China. either way he seems to be getting more and more "confused" as the days go on. great job to McCain supporters though, it must be really hard work cleaning up after all of his gaffes, lies, untruths, mistakes and flip flops....may be he should just have one of the 59 lobbyist running his campaign do all of the talking.
    today is the 41 anniversery of the USS Forrestal...wonder if McCain is man enough to pay honor to the 134 men who lost their lives and the 161 wounded....he should be kissing their buts after what he did.

July 29, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  19. mwm

he's gonna announce!stupid earthquake!

July 29, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  20. Ardnuas

Pick Tim Kaine....... this is the winning team!!!!

July 29, 2008 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  21. Dan , TX

We will not let liars smear the democratic candidate and get away with it this time.

Here are facts that no one can dispute. Google it. Obama lowers your taxes more than McCain. McCain increases the budget deficit more than Obama. If you are for tax cuts and fiscal responsibility you are FOR OBAMA.

July 29, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  22. S. Boatman

Mccain Also Met With His Group Of V. P. Veters . . . Otherwise Known As The Four Horses Of The Apocalypse! . . . . War Told Him To Stay The Course. . . Famine Told Him To Relax And Do Nothing. . . . Pestilence Told Him Things Are Looking Good . . . Death Told Him He Wanted To Speak With Him Alone!

July 29, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  23. Anna

All of those choices seem wonderful, but I love the thought of Obama-Kaine

July 29, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  24. Biden

My guess is Biden. It sounds good Obama Bin Biden.

July 29, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  25. Millicent, VT

He's so cute. My next POTUS. Love him.

Obama 08