July 29th, 2008

Source: Stevens to be indicted

Stevens is facing a federal indictment.
Stevens is facing a federal indictment.

(CNN) – Sen. Ted Stevens is expected to be indicted this afternoon by a federal grand jury, CNN has learned. A government source and a source familiar with the investigation would not tell CNN what charges are expected to be filed against the Alaska Republican.

Stevens has been the subject of a wide-ranging federal investigation focusing on Alaska state lawmakers and an Energy company in the state.

Steven's Alaska home was searched last July.

Watch: Stevens' home gets raided

FBI and Internal Revenue Service agents searched Stevens' Alaska home in July 2007 in connection with the probe, which has already snared two oil-company executives and a state lobbyist. At the time, he urged constituents "not to form conclusions based upon incomplete and sometimes incorrect reports in the media."

The 84-year-old senator is a former chairman of the Senate Appropriations Committee and is renowned for his prowess in steering federal funds to his vast, sparsely populated state. He has represented Alaska in Washington since 1968 and is up for re-election in November.

Full story

Filed under: Ted Stevens
  1. Nick - Arlington, VA

ANOTHER SEAT FOR THE DEMOCRATS!!

July 29, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  2. Justice

84 year old man served in the senate for 40 years and this is what it all came to. Sad-sad

July 29, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  3. Lorna, NY

Lock them all up. They are all a bunch of sleeze bags!

July 29, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  4. Praetorian, Fort Myers

Too bad this isn't a new problem.

There is so much corruption–the few cases which actually come to light are clearly only the tip of the iceberg.

July 29, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  5. Anonymous

I will not vote for John McCain. I just can't stand him.

July 29, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  6. Next in line !!

To E Scott and Ray —-Let the FUMIGATION begin …..Karl Rove, Dick Cheney and all of the Republicans Scumbags including you 2 Idiots

July 29, 2008 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  7. Maxine

Vote Obama is the American people only chance to have change Mccain is more of the dishonest Republicans with thier dishonest ways where are thier values? No to Mccain.

July 29, 2008 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  8. patman

Gee...is this a surprise to anyone?

July 29, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  9. Carmen Colorado

When is it Bush and Cheneys turn? Republicans and their "Family Values".

July 29, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  10. Jack

Texas Liberal,

I'm not a conservative. Thanks for placing a label on me like liberals do. Once again a liberal is incorrect.

I am actually a moderate, I suppose. I have both conservative and liberal leanings, depending on the issue. You see, I educate myself on the issues and make informed, unbiased decisions about them. I don't blindly follow a party/idealogy like most people. I realize both parties have corrupt members, but don't over-react and claim one party is corrupt like you do.

I was simply pointing out what all the blogs on CNN.com turn into. Very few have the sense or decency to make valid, thought provoking points or stay on topic. It was much better here last Fall before it was overrun by the crazies who got Sen. Obama nominated. I still fail too understand how that happened.

July 29, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  11. PaulC

And people wonder why Congress has an 18% approval rating.
    I'm surprised that it is that high. Our Senators and Representatives view their election as a virtual license to steal.
    I recommend placing all convicted Senators and Representative in
    the general population of a maximum security prison.
    They are paid and treated above ordinary mortals so they should receive extraordinary punishment. Close ClubFed.

July 29, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  12. fella from Chicago

Yes, and you same bloggers will be yelling for "golden boy's" impeachment within his first term. Forget about Rezko and the favor's he did for the "good" Senator from Illinois? Obama is just as corrupt as the rest; he just needs to be in the national spotlight a little longer to receive the right temptation before he's caught. It will happen, because he's just another dirty little politician from Chicago.

July 29, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  13. Roger from CA

Must have been pretty egregious if the Bush Justice Dept. is chasing down an indictment against him. Already, though, I hear the spin-meisters of the Republicans talking up how Stevens and McCain are always at odds. I have a funny feeling that is an overstatement (though, to be honest, I just don't know much about their history).

Since I'm feeling kinda pessimistic about things political at the moment, I fear that the Dems will find a way to blow this. My bet is that Stevens will resign and drop out of the Senate race, giving the Rep's a chance to insert a "clean" candidate in his place, taking away the Dem's anti-corruption angle...... And, lo and behold, an almost sure-fire Dem pickup in the Senate evaporates.

If they were smart, the Dems would figure out a way to use Stevens' ties with Big Oil to discredit the whole push for offshore drilling.

July 29, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  14. Ms. D

Obama don't have to mudd sling on the neo-cons like they do him!! They mudd sling themselves!! OBAMA 08-12

July 29, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  15. Mike

GASP!

A receiving kickbacks from an oil company for favors on Capitol Hill?

Really?

July 29, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  16. Ms. D

What do Foxx news have to say about this? Are they going to connect him to Mccain like they try and do Obama!!

July 29, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  17. Danel

Thomas July 29th, 2008 3:09 pm ET

My granddaddy used to tell me stories of the days when the Republican Party was the party of honesty and integrity. Was he just funnin’ me?
    -------
    Oh.. that was sooo... yesterday. Where have you been for the last 8 years? Makes me wonder how's the bridge to nowhere coming along?

July 29, 2008 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  18. I hate republicans

what comes around goes around you jerk

July 29, 2008 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  19. Mark

The GOP continues to show America how it really represents the common man. By the never ending bad economic news, wars, deficit and corruption. Why would anyone vote for this party to lead the nation any longer? They are a proven commodity. A failed commodity.

July 29, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  20. Darrel from Denver

Yet another Republican found with his hand in the till ..... what a shock!

July 29, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  21. Peter

Well– that's a little better than being caught in an airport men's room stall with your pant's down. The G.O.P. is improving.

July 29, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  22. Anonymous

About time.

July 29, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  23. Danel

One time tiger of the senate. Now he is on his way to club fed.

July 29, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  24. Timothy

The American people are being fool by the Republicans and also the American people is beeing fool by John Mccain with John Mccain the American People is getting sold Bad goods By voting John Mccain and if John Mccain is elected as the next President, what a sad day for this country!!!!

July 29, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  25. angie - dallas -28

NO WAY????? A REPUG TAKING BRIBES WITH OIL AND ENERGY??? AND THEN DENYING IT??????

Obama 08!