July 30th, 2008

Bill Clinton 2007 speech haul tops $10 million

Bill Clinton made millions in 2007 off speeches.
Bill Clinton made millions in 2007 off speeches.

(CNN) - Former president Bill Clinton earned $10.1 million in 2007 from paid speeches, according to Sen. Hillary Clinton’s U.S. Senate financial disclosure reports released Wednesday.

Clinton delivered a total of 54 paid speeches in 12 states, the District of Columbia, and 11 countries. His haul from speaking fees for 2006 was $10.2 million.

His most expensive address was delivered on August 14, 2007, in London to AEG, a Los Angeles-based entertainment company, for $425,000. The former president earned $150,000 for 31 of his 54 speeches and an overall average of $186,759.26 per speech. He did not deliver any paid speeches for less than $100,000 in 2007.

The groups he addressed last year include large companies, such as General Electric (delivered on January 13 for $150,000) and Goldman Sachs (delivered on March 1 for $150,000); civic organizations, such as the Boys and Girls Club of Los Angeles (delivered on March 6 for $150,000); and media organizations, such as TVLand (delivered on March 23 for $150,000) and KCBS Radio in San Francisco (delivered on April 14 for $150,000).

Just over half of Clinton’s income from paid speeches came from overseas. He earned a total of $5,150,000 from speeches in 10 countries: Canada (six speeches for a total of $1.1 million); Denmark (three speeches for a total of $790,000); Great Britain (2 speeches for a total of $595,000); Germany (one speech for $250,000); Greece (one speech for $300,000); Hungary (one speech for $275,000); Korea (one speech for $150,000); the Netherlands (one speech for $250,000); Norway (three speeches for $870,000); and Sweden (two speeches for $595,000)

Filed under: Bill Clinton
  1. G. Penley

Bill Clinton would have to pay me to listen to him.

July 30, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  2. Leapfrog

That man grinning behind him must be Hillary's attorney, just waiting for the divorce settlement. I can see the bubble above his head, "Hmmm, a new car, new golf clubs, a vacation to the Bahamas..."

July 30, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  3. Debra

WOW, MCSHAME. You are holding in a lot of White hatred there. I am not surprised at all. A lot of Blacks such as you push these types of lies about white people to try and justify the reason you behave so poorly and treat whites even worse. Most Blacks go to school on free rides these days even if they are only "C" students. Whites have to go in debt for the rest of their lives trying to pay high interest rates on student loans if they want an education. If you want me to believe in your poor old me comments, maybe you ought to try out these ball buster student loans like white people have to. I happen to work in a place that employs as many blacks as whites. Surprise surprise, they even employ gays. So I'm sorry but I don't feel sorry for you at all. Everyone that ever came to America did so under some form of slavery, or because of persecution. I am white and my ancestors came here to be indentured. Even that was better than staying in Holland where they would have been beheaded. Maybe you and other blacks like you should think about what you left. I hear Africa is pretty hellish these days. Do you regret for one minute that your ancestors were brought to america to be slaves??? So you won't hear poor you from me. Obama is just another person in my eyes. He will either fail or not. I don't dislike him for the color of his skin. I dislike him for the company he kept and his lack of experience. You don't hear him complaining about his lack of opportunity. From what I hear he has had more than his share of opportunity. Only the rich can aspire to becoming president. His bad judgement on his friends also made him rich from all their free gifts. Scrupples are what matter no matter what color your skin is. Get over your hate., McShame. A new day is dawning and I doubt that you were ever a slave or saw any thing bad as a result of it. I am flat out tired of your whining. .

July 30, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  4. Joe

Congrats to Bill on your money profitting speaches. People need to get over their jealousy because the Clintons were practically broke when they left the White House.

If all goes well, Barack will be making money on speeches too rather than giving making foreign policy in the White House.

Of all the candidates running for office this year, Hillary was the best candidate. I have no heart for Barack or McCain

July 30, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  5. EBC

Bill Clinton SHOULD pay off Hillary's debts then. What is the problem here? WHY is it everyone else's problem? I mean, it just that simple since she once accused Sen. Obama of only making "speeches", but here she has her side kick doing EXACTLY the same thing. Go figure.

The Clinton's know exactly how the game is played, they've been playing it for years, so nothing to me is surprising except their inability to face reality that THEY are not as powerful as they thought. The AMERICAN people are the POWER behind it all, and they have clearly spoken.

The Clinton era has come and gone,it's time they really face the music and start living their own lives.

July 30, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  6. Phil in Texas

TELL ME AGAIN WHY DO WE HAVE TO PAY OFF THEIR DEBTS FROM HER POORLY RAN CAMPAIGN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

July 30, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  7. Ex-Republican for Obama

Please never tell me how you are patriotic and a man working for change.

You are working for your wallet and BS'ing all of us about how you care. You care only about yourself Clinton.

Hey, here's an idea: Deliver a speech to your wife and her PUMA supporters and inspire them to raise enough money to pay off her debt, as well as your fee for giving them the speech.

You suck Clinton (Mr. AND Mrs.)!

July 30, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  8. Ron, NYC

So Bill can help retire Hillary's debt. Right?

July 30, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  9. annette

NoMcSame,
    You absolutely made me cry (I am a 61 year old white lady) you made me sit up and take notice, how sad that anyone should feel this way.
    God Bless you and your family.
    God Bless Mr. Obama and his family.
    Obama '08

July 30, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  10. Linda

So, BO can do that in a day.

July 30, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  11. Debra

Isn't it interesting that people criticise Clinton about not managing her debt.well during her campaign. Guess who was responsible for that. Wasn't it Patti Solys Doyle. The very person that Obama hired? Great job checking her references Oreo.

July 30, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  12. sherry for Obama

Will George w. Bush get that much money yearly from giving speeches after he leaves the white house.....?

I think not......You could'nt pay me to sit and listen to him.

Maybe they could let Gerge speak to a room full of insomniacs and that would put them to sleep......

Repubs are soooooo jealous of the democrats successes....

Dem's are truly blessed

July 30, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  13. Dave G, Minneapolis

The audacity of Hillary to ask her supporters to pay of her debt is incredible. Just shows what the dems stand for...no matter where you are in life, you can and should demand an entitlement.

Hillary is entitled to run for pres for free! I don't think so. If she really believed in America, she would gamble, and when losing would pay her own bills and chalk it up as a lesson learned.

Also Bill should just work for her for a year. Wouldn't that be the supportive thing to do? "Honey, since I'm your loving husband and I supported you in your run for pres, I will use all of the proceeds for my '08-'09 speeches to pay off your debt. That way you don't have to grovel and take money from people who will never earn in a year, what I earn for one speech".

Barr '08!!

July 30, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  14. Jozee

NoMcSame: Very well said!

This is the real world that so many are relucant recognize. They call Obama "exotic" and "not one of us" when they really mean, "stay in your place NEGRO".

I hear ya, but I don't agree that Obama's campaign is a dream. NOT THIS TIME! I, too, feel the "Urgency of Now" as millions of other good Americans. It is no accident that this election is occurring during the 40th anniversay of MLK's death. God is the greatest equalizer and no weapon formed against him shall prosper. NOT THIS TIME.

I know that CNN will prevent this post, but at least they will see it.

GO OBAMA 08/12

July 30, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  15. Dan

I don't begrudge Bill his wealth. I do, however, find it comical that the Clintons tried to cast Obama as the out-of-touch elitist given their own wealth and educational pedigree.

We picked the better candidate (Obama), and although some of your wife's supporters continue to behave irrationally and would cut off their nose to spit your face, I would have gladly supported your wife had she won. I voted for you and liked you as a President. You and your wife are talented people, though I don't agree with all your views.

Of course, it's all the media's fault. That's why Hillary lost.

Seriously, you people still arguing this are pathetic and need to get a life. You're almost as bad as the people still swearing Barack is a Muslim. When you argue these points, it makes you look really, really dumb.

July 30, 2008 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  16. NEVEROBAMA

Why is the so much about black people? Look at the first comment on this blog. People are making this into a White or black issue. I am getting sick and tired if you state you are not voting for Obama you have to be racist. Well this is not true!!! Obama's followers are so blinded to think that maybe we do not want Obama because of his inexperience. All he can deliver is a good speech he is an empty suit!!! I am getting so SICK OF BLACKS THROWING THE RACE CARD!

OBAMA IS AN EMPTY SUIT AND I DON'T CARE ABOUT HIS SKIN COLOR I WILL NEVER EVER, EVER VOTE FOR HIM

July 30, 2008 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  17. Xavier, Saint Louis, Missouri

Good! Now maybe he can help pay off his wife's debt, because I'm not giving her a dime!

July 30, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  18. Marc PDX

@NoMcSame: quit tossing R-Bombs and race baiting. You're only showing yourself to the racist here.

July 30, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  19. Young African American Male for Hillary

The man has to make a living. He didn't do anything illegal. He is not the first and he won't be the last. If Barack Obama becomes president, he will do the same thing after he leaves that office.

July 30, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  20. KAINE VA LOVERs

Bill you can pay down some of Hilliary Debt ..c an't you....

July 30, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  21. Steve

Wow! 10 million? He's half-way to paying off Hillary's debts! Now the PUMAs only have to get together 1/2 as much as before to support their "girl". PUMAs? Show us the money!!!! You only have to get together 1/2 as much as before! PUMAs? PUMAs? Hell-oooooo PUMAS!? (crickets chirping).

And Bill has GOT to stop shopping at the "Dad and Lad" shop at his local Billy-Bob department store. I'd give him $10 bucks just to change that gawdawful jacket, shirt, and tie. He looks like an ice cream truck driver! I guess if you just earned 10 million, you can dress any way you want to. At least he took off his tin foil hat.

July 30, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  22. tidho

Was his price inflated by all those special interests thinking his wife was going to be a shoe in for the Presidency?

July 30, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  23. Kris

And its suppose to be Republicans and non-Obama supporters who are racist? Wow. Keep playing the race card Obama supporters (not all Obama supporters), see where it gets you. You know not everyone thinks Obama is so great. Personally, I find his economic plan lacking.

But I must be racist.

July 30, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  24. wendy

And Hillary always put Obama down for his speech making abilities.

July 30, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  25. It Be Me

Alice...
    this isn't wonderland.....

HILLARY FREAKING LOST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    IT WASN'T STOLEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    IT WASN'T HER'S TO BEGIN WITH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    THE BETTER PERSON WON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    OBAMA DIDN'T DO ANYTHING THAT HILLARY WASN'T DOING!!!!!!!!!!
    GET OVER IT ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

grow up people...you're starting to sound like my 2 year old grandson...

July 30, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |