July 30th, 2008

Bill Clinton 2007 speech haul tops $10 million

Bill Clinton made millions in 2007 off speeches.
Bill Clinton made millions in 2007 off speeches.

(CNN) - Former president Bill Clinton earned $10.1 million in 2007 from paid speeches, according to Sen. Hillary Clinton’s U.S. Senate financial disclosure reports released Wednesday.

Clinton delivered a total of 54 paid speeches in 12 states, the District of Columbia, and 11 countries. His haul from speaking fees for 2006 was $10.2 million.

His most expensive address was delivered on August 14, 2007, in London to AEG, a Los Angeles-based entertainment company, for $425,000. The former president earned $150,000 for 31 of his 54 speeches and an overall average of $186,759.26 per speech. He did not deliver any paid speeches for less than $100,000 in 2007.

The groups he addressed last year include large companies, such as General Electric (delivered on January 13 for $150,000) and Goldman Sachs (delivered on March 1 for $150,000); civic organizations, such as the Boys and Girls Club of Los Angeles (delivered on March 6 for $150,000); and media organizations, such as TVLand (delivered on March 23 for $150,000) and KCBS Radio in San Francisco (delivered on April 14 for $150,000).

Just over half of Clinton’s income from paid speeches came from overseas. He earned a total of $5,150,000 from speeches in 10 countries: Canada (six speeches for a total of $1.1 million); Denmark (three speeches for a total of $790,000); Great Britain (2 speeches for a total of $595,000); Germany (one speech for $250,000); Greece (one speech for $300,000); Hungary (one speech for $275,000); Korea (one speech for $150,000); the Netherlands (one speech for $250,000); Norway (three speeches for $870,000); and Sweden (two speeches for $595,000)

Filed under: Bill Clinton
  1. AK

This is OBAMA's warning sign. No help from Clintons.

July 30, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  2. michelle

NICE GOING, BILL. YOU'RE THE REAL STUFF.... NOT FLUFF LIKE BO! AND SINCE BO NEVER SHOULD HAVE RUN IN THE FIRST PLACE FOR PREZ AND WAS THE CAUSE FOR THE LONG PRIMARY RACE, HE SHOULD PAY FOR HILLARY'S DEBTS.

PUMA FOR HILLARY....VIVA HILLARY

July 30, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  3. RealityKing

Clinton charged the Boys and Girls Club $150,000 for a speech!!??

You just can't get much lower than a Clinton..

July 30, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  4. SlaveryEnded_143_YearsAgo

NoMcSame.....you're an idiot, slavery has been over for 143 years. Yes racism is alive but a very small fraction of the citizens in this country are racist......quit your BS "poor me the black man" crap and grow up. Your comments are the heart of racism you ignorant moron.

July 30, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  5. McCain's digs Platform Flip-Flops

Hillary's debt is taken care of – END OF STORY!

I have a feeling, the Clintons will be supporting Obama big time. It just makes a fantastic self-less ending to a book chronicling the campaign. lol

July 30, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  6. Blue

Don't knock it! There are plenty of people who pay Paris Hilton, Kevin Federline & other celebrities oodles of money to attend their parties. What's the difference? Getting $150,000 per speech sounds resonable for a former president.

Chill on the Clinton hate!

July 30, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  7. Independent Voter

So I guess everyone doesn't hate Bill Clinton after all. After a little more of Obama, I bet Bill could raise his prices even more.

He's done plenty for free, too. Of course, that doesn't make such good reading.

I love the Clintons! They make Obama and Michelle look like two used car salesmen. Or do I mean aluminum siding? Or how about brushes or remodeling or adding a sun room? You name it, and Barack can sell it.

The DNC blew it when they picked BO over Hillary. God help America.

July 30, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  8. SlaveryEnded_143_YearsAgo

oh, and if you think this country is racist....MOVE! For Christs sake no one is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to lilve here.

July 30, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  9. Barbara

This is disgusting! I've always liked Clinton, thought he did a pretty good job as president except for the sex thing. But, how can he live with himself now? He is out making this kind of money making speeches and his wife is begging. Way to go Bill, always have a backup plan. And who would pay Bill Clinton $150,000 to speak? They should have been around when he was president and paid him to shut up.

The Boys and Girls Club paid $150,000 to hear Bill Clinton? No wonder they are always begging for money, they are shut off of my charity list. And Clinton couldn't have donated one speech to a non-profit? Maybe he can get Hillary to go through the United Way for money to pay off her campaign debt.

Hionestly, let them all rot.

July 30, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  10. A CANUCK

You'd think he could afford to pay off his wife's big debt....instead of bleeding the "little people"........or wasn't that part of their deal????

July 30, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  11. Victoria

Who cares?

If anything, HE should be paying companies to allow him to speak.

July 30, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  12. SlaveryEnded_143_YearsAgo

Will you marry me Debra? LOL Well said.

July 30, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  13. anymous

mccain is not ready to lead

July 30, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  14. Allison

Amen Debra!

July 30, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  15. Foreign Observer

Obviously, Clinton isn't paid for "speeches" - he's paid for access and favors. CNN could live up to its journalistic ambitions by actually doing some reporting on this issue, rather than printing a glorified press release.Just a tought!

July 30, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  16. Silence Dogood

NoMcSame – America has race issues but this is not an argument for everything you do not like.

This is the main problem I have with Obama's approach – it is almost always includes a reference to black vs. white. Even on his Europe tour he started at least one speech that way. Will he go to China and discuss Tibet and human rights in terms of black vs. white? That doen't even make sense.

I have news for you – it is a big world with a LOT of different people who do not identify with either black or white.

July 30, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  17. ShirleyY - Seattle

JOSHUA,

HILLARY WILL NOT BE ON THE TICKET. STOP BEING A BRAG AND WAKE UP, OBAMA WILL CHOOSE HIS OWN VP, YOU DONT MAKE THE CHOICE.

BETWEEN BILL AND THE COST OF THE IRAQ WAR, NOW I SEE WHY THE AMERICAN PEOPLE HAS NOT MONEY, BILL AND THE COST OF THE IRAQ WAR IS TAKING IT ALL.

July 30, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  18. Jerry in Boston

To all the idiots who are suggesting that the Clinton's use this money to pay down Hillary's campaign debt – Bill Clinton makes these appearances in order to raise money for The Clinton Foundation, a charitable organisation that helps millions of poor people worldwide.

You want to steal from a charity to pay a political campaign debt?

Nice.

Since 2000, The Clinton's have donated twice as much, as a proportion of their income, as the Obama's.

July 30, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  19. Belle

Barack is ALREADY making tons of money. His book is the Number ONE Bestsellar.

As far as Clinton's Debt goes: She asked for help to pay off her vendors, NOT to pay off the money she personally loaned her campaign. It is your PERSONAL choice to help or not. I CHOSE to help.

So please get off of the Hillary Clinton slamming. I will vote for Clinton if she runs in 2012.

I will NOT vote Obama. Why? His VOTING record (or lack thereof), his relationship to Tony Rezko. His LACK of Action in IL as a State Senator when the complaints were filed about the 11 Rezko buildings in his district. HIS FLOPPING on issues that he ran on in the Primary, and his stretching of truth during the Primary. End Result: Obama lost my vote. It was his to keep or lose at the beginning of the Primary. But his incongruent works vs. actions had me switch to Clinton.

July 30, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  20. Dennis in Miami Beach

And why is Hillary asking us to help retire her debt when she stayed in the race too long and continued to go in debt. Rather than holding debt retirement parties, she should just have Bill give more speeches to pay off the debt.

July 30, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  21. sandy

I can't believe the media is still attacking Bill Clinton. Has anyone hear the saying, " He who is without sin cast the first stone" guess not! If their was ever a man who has paid for his sins it is Bill Clinton. I think most people are jealous of the Bill and Hillary. They are super smart. They are forgiving. They raised a seemly will rounded daughter. I wish the Clinton family only the best. I think it would be nice for the media to do the same.

July 30, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  22. Daniel Wagle

I don't why there is problem with paying off the Clinton WHEN the Clintons are going to raise $100,000,000 dollars for the Obama campaign, which is 10 TIMES the amount they are asking for. Hillary has already raised at least $5,000,000 for his campaign. They are NOT asking them to pay off the debt when they will do nothing in return. The idea is that the people who have maxed out to Obama can pay off Hillary's debt, and the people maxed out to Hillary can contribute to Obama's campaign. What IS the problem?!! Ordinary people can often get their at least educational debts forgiven through working in disadvantaged areas.

July 30, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  23. Danny G. Boca Raton, FL

some of you are ignorant... our laws prohibit anyone from donating more than $2300 in a campaign... so even if he has the money he can't just pay it... she is already loosing all of the money she lend to the campaign which is over 60%, the rest she has to try to pay it via donations of $2300 or less...

otherwise I'm sure she would have writen the check for the rest...

July 30, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  24. Leslie, MA.

Bill Clinton is still the greatest president we ever had. They tried
    to impeach him for getting a bl...w job..........and Bush screwed this
    country big time!! I'll take Bill over anyone that's running now. I say
    GOOD for Bill, he gives a great speech...more power to him !!!!!

July 30, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  25. Mark Ramsey MD Milwaukee WI

First, NoMcSame: you need help. I suggest long-term therapy, maybe medication, maybe group therapy. The way African-Americans were treated in the past in this country is horrible, and wrong. Some small part of America will always be racist, and homophobic, and anti-semitic, etc.,etc.,etc. Butthe world your mind is living in is in the past, and you need to let go of that for your own mental health.

Second, I am a Hillary Clinton supporter. I voted for her. I contributed to her campaign. I will be very upset if she is not chosen as Obama's VP candidate, because I don't see how Obama can talk about unity while he excludes 1/2 of the democratic primary voter's choice from the ticket. However, it is hard for me to see that Bill Clinton made $10 million last year just giving speeches, and try to understand why I am supposed to send in money to retire the campaign debt. Is he not allowed to give a large sum to just pay it off? These two are worth $109 million dollars, and most of us are scraping togetherwhat we can weeek to week for our children's education, our retirement, etc. Hillary, I love you. I really want you to be VP. But I don't think it makes sense for me to help retire your campaign debt. You and Bill do it.

July 30, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |