July 30th, 2008

Clinton to speak Tuesday at Democratic convention, sources say

ALT TEXT

CNN's Suzanne Malveaux has learned that Sen. Clinton will speak Tuesday night at the Democratic convention. Photo credit: Getty Images/File.

(CNN) - Sen. Hillary Clinton has agreed to speak on the second night of next month's Democratic convention, headlining on the 88th anniversary of the day women earned the right to vote, sources say.

Two sources close to Clinton said the former presidential candidate will speak August 26 with all female U.S. senators on stage with her.

"Tuesday night is Hillary night," said one supporter.

That night is the anniversary of the ratification of the 19th Amendment to the Constitution, which gave women the right to vote.

1. Missing Hillary in DE

I am blocking out this night on my calendar and getting ready to be glued to the TV. I miss Hillary being out there and fighting for us! As I have said before, Obama is not getting my vote unless Clinton is on the ticket. Obama has become pompous and needs to be put in his place. He is going about like he deserves the Presidency *for the good of the people* (sarcastically said). If Hillary is not VP, I'm either writing in her name or going with McCain. And now that the DNC has been moved to Chicago, I hope its a really cold and lonely winter for them!

July 31, 2008 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  2. ASM

Don't worry Barack supporters he won't have to debate her cause your main man got his butt handed to him by my girl and thats a fact HA, Ha. She is going to be nice but we her supporters KNOW she is the better Candidate that the Demo committee swift boated her we are not forgetting that fact Jack !!!!

July 31, 2008 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  3. random comment

I guess that means she's not getting the VP slot.

July 31, 2008 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  4. Marie in California

Yeah, the DNC is "kind" enough to toss a token gratuity to the little woman. That's what it sounds like to me. The DNC is probably trying to suck up to the folks who supported Hillary during the primaries so Obama can get their votes.

Well, he won't get mine! While I am only one, I speak for many!

If not Hillary, then McCain! At least he is an honorable and decent human being.

PUMA

July 31, 2008 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  5. AUSTIN,TX

Susie, Hillary did run for president and lost. who cares who your family vote for. keep it to yourself

July 31, 2008 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  6. Turquoise

You are right Obama has never said a bad "thing" about Hillary BUT
    HILLARY SURE TALKED BAD ABOUT OBAMA, Why would Hillary want to be on his ticket ????? considering what she has said about OBAMA !!!!!!!
    why would you people turn against your party because the person "you" liked didn't make it. this country is starting to sound like Africa-Iran-Iraq etc etc. Good grief !!!!!!!!

July 31, 2008 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  7. Jonathan, Hartford, CT

I like this photo. It is very flattering.

July 31, 2008 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  8. mj

If McCain is elected, do you honestly think that will help Hillary. He won't give her a second thought in his cabinet and her positive goals won't be actualized. If Obama is elected, I believe Hillary will be given a better position in his cabinet and continue to have a positive influence in our government. It sure would be nice to see support for what these two candidates stand for–a united democratic party. As a 55 year old white femal I believe both candidates fought (sometimes unscrupulously) to win the nomination. They both had some very positive and negative points. Although I have always been an Obama supporter, I gave Hillary credit for many aspects of her campaign. Keeping within a budget certainly wasn't one of them and I felt that was a very important point in this election when our economy is in such poor shape. Continueing to spend at such a rate even when her campaign was unable to pay their bills to the vendors was pretty frightening–especially when it was highly unlikely that she could statistically beat Obama. Be that as it may, she is not the nominee and let's face it, if she were VP, Bill would be trying to run the country–what president would want that. In addition, the Clintons do bring alot of baggage to the picture. So let's unite and I'm guessing that if elected, Obama will give her a very important position and she can continue to have a positive impact in our government. If he is not elected, do you really think that McCain will give her much thought?

July 31, 2008 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  9. Jill American

Hillary will not be the VP choice fro 2 reasons:

One – She suspended her campaign and plans to stay that way until the convention. That way her 18 million votes will be counted, documented and be a part of history (or herstory). She can't do that AND be the VP choice. If the VP choice whe would have to turn her votes over to Obama.

Two – Obama is going to pick a white guy.

July 31, 2008 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  10. Olivia

HILLARY......HILLARY......HILLARY.

She was the change for better......he will be the change for worse.

Larry of Tx made a good point. The historical aspect of the democratic primary went out the door for this party who could easily have turned it into a memorable event. Instead.....they all listened to Donna Brazille's mama.

Hillary....the vp slot isn't a loss, but a gain for you. It will leave you untainted to run again in 2012.

July 31, 2008 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  11. Deb, Allentown, PA

Your comment is awaiting moderation.

Yoohoo CNN. Why is my comment still awaiting moderation almost 2 1/2 hours later?

She positively deserves a slot. Good for her. Now, I can only hope that what she says and does during her appearance will work to mollify some of her most strident supporters.

You know, honestly, you PUMA people are probably one of the reasons that she's not in the front-running for VP. BO has enough to reason to worry about his safety from some right-wing nutjob. The way you all are acting, he'd have to worry if a PUMA might take him down so Hillary could claim her "rightful plalce".

July 31, 2008 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  12. DJ in TX

To justsaynodeal.com – And should that happen, do you think she would have a chance in hell of winning? People always talk about Hillary's 18 million votes (and I applaud that), but don't forget, Senator Obama also had 18 million votes.

If the Democratic party were to do something like that at the convention, it would implode and the Democrats would be done for good. I'm not saying that Senator Clinton isn't qualified, as she most definnitley is, but she lost the primary – the same rules that President Clinton won the primary as all other Democratic nominees.

This was her nomination to lose. She had a lead over every other candidate. Her campaign let her down and let Senator Obama build up momentum. By the time she REALLY started campaigning, it was pretty much too late. He had built an insurmountable lead.

Anyway, bravo for her speaking at the convention. It shows she understands the importance of this election, despite how she may personally feel. Bravo.

July 31, 2008 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  13. Stephie

Wow! Mrs Clinton is going to make this historic night all about herself...deja vu!
    On a side note, I have seen this picture so many times it's just getting annoying. It is so corny (especially with his tie matching her vest). The democratic party is trying to hard. Please stop it...it's almost pathetic. If people are true followers of Hillary then they should be for her values. Regardless of whether she were nominated or not (Thank God), Barack Obama will carry her battles to the White House. So Democrats, stop whining and let's rally behind this man to get him elected!

July 31, 2008 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  14. PELOSI SUCKS

Well that means Hillary is NOT going to be VP

and THAT means this arrogant fool will LOSE the election

HE WILL NOT HAVE MY VOTE WITHOUT HILLARY!!!

July 31, 2008 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  15. Jane

Any woman who says she voted for Hilliary because she is a woman should have their head examined. This is the very type of discrimination I have fighted against my whole life working in a male dominated career field. Judge people on their qualifications–not because you want a "woman" president. You cannot have it both ways crying for equality then putting your foot in your mouth by saying it's time to have a "woman" president because men have run the country.
    Qualifications not gender should influence you vote not being emotional.

July 31, 2008 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  16. Jonathan, Hartford, CT

Hillary has perseverance and stamina. She would not let McCain push her around and you KNOW she is NOT like Paris or Britney or Obama. She is not some celebrity elitist. Does Obama lip-synch when he delivers a speech? Give that man a blonde wig.....ouch!

July 31, 2008 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  17. Veteran for McCain

Who cares? Just another side-show in the DNC circus. I'm just glad that they aren't on the same ticket. That would be the end of the U.S. Let's go McCain, keep closing that gap!

July 31, 2008 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  18. AUSTIN,TX

Tim from Ohio, this statement is important because? I am so tired of the threats if Hillary is not on the ticket. Vote for McSame and shut up.

July 31, 2008 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  19. Jack Savedge

Thank God. At least now maybe we can have someone mention the issues that are affecting the average American. Obama is too busy spending time in Europe running around trying to make connections yet he doesn't want to let anyone know how we is going to solve the probelms of high unemployment, foreclosures, health insurance for all, jobs going overseas, the recession, the circus in Washington that the Republicans are going to leave behind, high oil prices and all of the problems that our next President will inherit. Senator Clinton had plans to handle these problems and over 18 million of us voted for her. Since Obama wants to run around and be the spokesperson for the country, he needs to leave Senator Clinton in charge to handle the domestic issues since she has been the one who is interested in helping the American people. He has yet to shown any interest in helping anyone but himself.

July 31, 2008 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  20. Mom from MO

Fantastic....people.....we are Americans and need to work together, man, women, red, yellow, black or white....we are precious in "His" sight. Obama will bring this country back together. Hillary and Obama opened the door for positive change in our country. Don't vote party, vote your beliefs. I will watch and listen, with excitement, to Hillary's speech. I want her to be the next VP, but if she isn't, follow her lead to follow Obama into changes that will make a greater America for all of us.

July 31, 2008 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  21. Debra

Hillary is my Hero also. She never fails to give me inspiration. I am looking forward to hearing her speak. It will be a sad day for women everywhere if she is not on the ticket as VP. I can't believe that Obama is considering those 3 boring white guys as VP. Obama not choosing her for VP just looks like sour grapes. Either that or he's a coward and thinks he must have a token white guy as VP in order to win. Same old Washington politics, nothing changing. Always trying to prevent a women from excelling. These guys can't bring half of what Hillary could to this ticket. If she is not on the ticket, Obama will lose my vote also. He almost already did when he called white women racists. I am not a racist and I really resent someone who doesn't even know me calling me that. After comments like that, I might be racist however in the future. After this election, I have come to distrust anything blacks do. I will vote, because if I write in a name, my vote won't be counted. It will just be for the other guy.

July 31, 2008 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  22. M

Will not make a difference in my eyes. She deserved to be the nominee and her party and the media inserted an empty hat of a candidate. This x hillary supporter is voting for McCain. Besides, he is the better candidate regardless for the job.

McCain 08

July 31, 2008 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  23. Dave

THE ONLY SPEECH HILLARY SHOULD MAKE AT THE DEMOCRATIC CONVENTION IS
    " I ACCEPT THE NOMINATION"

July 31, 2008 09:54 am at 9:54 am |