July 30th, 2008

Richardson to help Clinton retire campaign debt

Sens. Obama and Clinton appeared with Gov. Richardson at a New Hampshire debate in January.

(CNN) – Is Bill Richardson about to kiss and make up with the Clintons? It certainly looks that way.

The New Mexico governor announced Wednesday that he will host two fundraisers to help Sen. Hillary Clinton retire more than $20 million in outstanding campaign debt accumulated during her failed White House bid.

"Governor Richardson's efforts reinforce Senator Obama's commitment to unifying the Democratic Party and assisting Senator Clinton's effort to retire her campaign debt," Bill Burton, a spokesman for Barack Obama’s campaign, said in a statement released by Richardson.

Richardson, who served as secretary of energy in Bill Clinton’s administration, decided to endorse the Illinois senator, now the presumptive Democratic nominee. The move was viewed as an act of betrayal by some longtime supporters of the Clintons. CNN Political Analyst James Carville, who has long and deep ties to both Clintons, even likened Richardson’s endorsement to Judas’s betrayal of Christ.

In late April, Richardson responded to Carville’s criticisms by saying that Carville and other Clinton supporters believe they are a “dynasty” and that they were “clinging to the throne.”

WATCH: Carville, Richardson on Larry King Live

Since announcing his support for Obama, Richardson has made numerous television and campaign appearances on Obama’s behalf. He is also mentioned as a potential pick for vice president.

In the statement from Richardson, Clinton spokeswoman Kathleen Strand said, "Senator Clinton is grateful for Governor Richardson's and Senator Obama's efforts to assist with retiring her campaign debt and she is looking forward to continuing to campaign for Senator Obama and help ensure victory for Democrats throughout the country this fall."

Senator Clinton will attend both invitation-only events in New Mexico in mid-August.

1. Flannigan, OR

Beggars can not be choosy. Take Richardson's money and stop whining. Please Hillary just go away...go, now, please. See you in 2012 when you start more of your drama.

Obama 08

July 30, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  2. Jim

Kevin..............wake-up my boy........................we were losing more troops in a day during WWII than we've lost during the whole Iraq campaign. And you know what, we volunteered to enter that war. Kevin...................freedom isn't free and requires many sacrifices. Go hide under your rock the next time U.S. soil is invaded.

July 30, 2008 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  3. Mikey

I suggested to my wife that we send Hillary $100 to help. I have been an Obama supporter since he announced. My wife backed Hillary. It got a little testy at home and I had to curb both my enthusiasm for Obama and my frustration at the Clintons.

Funny, though, when I made the suggestion, my wife said "absolutely no way". Seems she is ticked off at Hillary for staying in the race too long when it was obviously over, thus hurting the Dems chances in the fall, where I am ready to forgive, forget and move forward. Go figure.

I would like to encourage my fellow Obama supporters to make a donation to help Hillary. It's best for the party, best for Obama's candidacy, and therefore, best for our country. I may sneak some money over to her when my wife is not looking, just like I did for Obama in the primaries. Shhhhh, please don't tell her.

July 30, 2008 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  4. Sammy

I never did buy into the silly 'traitor' argument. This is politics. And so-called loyalty in politics only goes so far as whether or not it benefits someone. Carville should have said he was 'highly disappointed' or something similar. The word "traitor" is a word reserved for treason.

But then maybe he actually raised his right hand and swore a loyalty oath to the Clintons in addition to the United States?

July 30, 2008 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  5. benvictor

He cannot get rid of this Judas label, but it is considerate of him to help Hillary with her debt. As a Hillary Democrat, this does nothing to keep me in the party. Now part of John's silent majority, we wait patiently for the November election.

July 30, 2008 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  6. Larry Kraus

I have had a very hard time understanding why anyone would help pay off this debt. Hillary Clinton knew when the race was over and she kept spending money to split the party right down the middle. i think that she kept fighting because she knew that in 4 years she would win the nomination if Obama was to lose this year. this country is in real danger the world was our best friend after 9/11 and this president wasted all of that by attacking Iraq. if all those women want to support Hillary Clinton then they should pay off that debt. Hillary Clinton has shown that if she can't win then she wants McCain to win so she can run in 2012. i say let Hillary pay that debt. where are all the people that want to help me pay off my debts. hell $40,000 to $50,000 would get me out of debt and i really am living on the edge. there's not millions in any account that i can take care of my wife and kids with.

July 30, 2008 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  7. colene

i hope the democrats unite so that we can win. the problem is no one can move on and forget the past. hilliary did not win and she mounted up a great deal of debt so i think first her puma supporters should send her the money they plan to spend to disrupt the democratic convention. put that money to good use. retire her debt.

July 30, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  8. beachgirl

Oh Boy........ Richardson is such a looser............ all he's after is............a position if Obama wins. Such a two face man................so typical.

July 30, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  9. CW-democrat for McCain

R. should just pay her debt. "Friends" like that are why Obama is "in" even though he is the biggest egomaniac crook to appear in decades.

July 30, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  10. The Truth

Very BIG of Richardson to do this. The candidate that he backed won, so there is no reason to kiss her tush.
    It shows that he truly considers her his friend and really wants to help her.

July 30, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  11. Obama 08'

Hillary knew she was losing when she loaned herself 9 Million dollars, and she just keet goiing and spending more money.
    Even when everyone in the world knew she wasn't going to win she still kept going..... Now she need her supporters to pay for her stubborness... There are 18 million cracks in the ceiling how bout all of those people give her a buck

July 30, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  12. Oh brother

What a comedy of errors. The dem. party is nuts. I am glad that I no longer consider myself a democrate. What a bunch of loons.

July 30, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  13. carol

Judas, apparently, has sympathy for the devil. Much more than I do.

That's big of him – I couldn't do it after what they said publicly about him.

July 30, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  14. H-ROD

YOU SEE EVERYBODY BUT CLINTON SUPPORTERS CAN MAKE NICE, HER RABBIT BUTT SUPPORTERS SHOULD LEARN FROM THIS AND WAKE UP SHE LOST AND NEEDS HELP!!! (YES OBAMA OBAMA WILL HELP)!!!

July 30, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  15. Peter

Good Ol' Bill, helping Obama by helping Clinton...

July 30, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  16. james

Thank you Judas!

July 30, 2008 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  17. Splurge

Hillary never called him that but it's typical of Obama-loving CNN and his supporters to infere otherwise. I cannot vote to continue this type of nastiness.

July 30, 2008 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  18. Marti, Plano

Political loyalty = jumbo shrimp

July 30, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  19. H-ROD

OH YEAH RICHARDSON FOR V.P. (SI OBAMA PUEDE)!!!

July 30, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  20. Mike

Bill-the great diplomat

July 30, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  21. Kevin

I guess it's true what they say there are no true friends in politics, nothing is personal, just business

July 30, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  22. Vig

Richardson – once a turn-coat, always a turn-coat.

July 30, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  23. brenda

Why? Most of the money she needs reimbursed for was spent after she should have gracefully gotten out. She kept on loaning her money to her campaign - that was a choice she made. That is a bill she paid. It's over. He owes her nothing. He has a right to support whoever he wants for office. This whole bailout thing is ridiculous. Is everyone helping Romney with his bills??

July 30, 2008 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  24. Ken

You know it just donned on me that the C-lintons probably think that Richardson owes this help to them. They probably think he owes it to them to make up for his treachery. You will never catch a C-linton being grateful or sorry.

July 30, 2008 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  25. HarryRastaman

HEY RICHARDSON.....WHY DON'T YOU CONCENTRATE ON THE EVISCERATION OF OUR CONSTITUTION INSTEAD OF HELPING THE ENTITLED WHITE WOMAN WITH HE MILLION DOLLAR FORTUNE?

IDIOT.