July 30th, 2008

Richardson to help Clinton retire campaign debt

Sens. Obama and Clinton appeared with Gov. Richardson at a New Hampshire debate in January.

(CNN) – Is Bill Richardson about to kiss and make up with the Clintons? It certainly looks that way.

The New Mexico governor announced Wednesday that he will host two fundraisers to help Sen. Hillary Clinton retire more than $20 million in outstanding campaign debt accumulated during her failed White House bid.

"Governor Richardson's efforts reinforce Senator Obama's commitment to unifying the Democratic Party and assisting Senator Clinton's effort to retire her campaign debt," Bill Burton, a spokesman for Barack Obama’s campaign, said in a statement released by Richardson.

Richardson, who served as secretary of energy in Bill Clinton’s administration, decided to endorse the Illinois senator, now the presumptive Democratic nominee. The move was viewed as an act of betrayal by some longtime supporters of the Clintons. CNN Political Analyst James Carville, who has long and deep ties to both Clintons, even likened Richardson’s endorsement to Judas’s betrayal of Christ.

In late April, Richardson responded to Carville’s criticisms by saying that Carville and other Clinton supporters believe they are a “dynasty” and that they were “clinging to the throne.”

WATCH: Carville, Richardson on Larry King Live

Since announcing his support for Obama, Richardson has made numerous television and campaign appearances on Obama’s behalf. He is also mentioned as a potential pick for vice president.

In the statement from Richardson, Clinton spokeswoman Kathleen Strand said, "Senator Clinton is grateful for Governor Richardson's and Senator Obama's efforts to assist with retiring her campaign debt and she is looking forward to continuing to campaign for Senator Obama and help ensure victory for Democrats throughout the country this fall."

Senator Clinton will attend both invitation-only events in New Mexico in mid-August.

1. Clinton/McCain

Nice try Judas. We don't want your money!!!

July 30, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  2. bin boozled

Truth is Stranger than fiction

How much money can Rich-er-sin raise that Bill, Hillary and Barak can't?

They got Hillary over a $20 million dollar barrel–

Wonder why women don't like the democratic party - no joke

Barak still scrambling for a win - looking at a dark horse to carry Virginia -

How are the dems going to blow a sure win?

July 30, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  3. Renee

Let me get this straight. Richardson served in Bill Clinton's cabinet, so he is honor bound to support Bill Clinton's wife 8 years later, even though he doesn't think she was the better candidate for the Demoncratic nominee? By that logic, anyone who serves during someone's presidency loses their right to vote their conscience.
    Richardson spoke to Bill Clinton before he endorsed Obama, he explained the reasons for his decision to the Clintons, and only then did he endorse OBama publicly. That is hardly a "betrayal", despite what the Clinton machine wanted the public to believe. I work hard for my boss and we have a good relationship. Does that mean I'm a Judas if I don't support his wife's bid for City Council?

July 30, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  4. Serge the DEM

A Nightingale Sings in Berkley Square...

You need a wake up call! What deluded world are you living in? Comparing Obama to Graig? You must be one of those bitter PUMAs who has no clue that Obama is ahead in all polls and will beat McCain come November...

As for Richardson... well done Senator! Just goes to show he is more interested in picking the right candidate for America than he is pandering to his friends. He just showed good judgement at the right time. The presidency is not a dynasty and the better candidate will come out on top!

Obama '08!!!

July 30, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  5. Disgusted Dave

Take his money and spit in his face.

July 30, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  6. Jill in Chicago

I supported Hillary financially, in small doses, as many obama supporters continue to do, and I contributed to her campaign debt. I am continually amazed at Obama supporters, the way they blast fellow democrats. So I have not only put my money where my mouth is, I am voting where my heart is, not for Obama. Take it to the bank.

Hillary 2012 (BECAUSE OF PATTI SOLIS DOYLE)
    regardless of Roe V. Wade

July 30, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  7. carlo

This is astonishing to me. The Clintons and her backers have dragged Richardson through the mud and are even going as far as forming alliances with McCain, a candidate who is the polar opposite of anything Clinton stands for. Now Richardson is helping HER pay off debt while her backers are refusing to help Obama and are pushing for McCain? Does anyone see what is wrong with this picture?

July 30, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  8. Greg in Annapolis

Let her swim in her debt. She deserves nothing!

July 30, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  9. Herman in LA

What a joke CNN don't like some of my words in my post so I have to really water it down...

Let see is it H C Politicians?

or PUMA ?

or Dumb you down?

Just goes to show you ???? ?????? that when it comes to these ???? ????? ??????????? they ???? ??? ???? while still knowing how to make it in this world.

July 30, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  10. Joseph, Los Angeles California

Nothing wrong with friendship, and they are friends. Good for him.

July 30, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  11. Ex Dem from NM

I'm making it my mission in life to ensure that Richardson isn't reelected after the nasty "judas" stunt he pulled on Hillary clinton.

I was a big Richardson supporter here in NM, but no more.

He will not get a dime of my money or my vote ever again.

July 30, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  12. wendy

I always knew Bill Richardson was a good guy.

July 30, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  13. anonymous

Allison, Obama spent YOUR hard earned money to REPAINT his plane. My guess is that you are not too happy about it.

July 30, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  14. Jessica in IL

Tell me again why she went $20 MILLION in debt? Oh, yeah; once it was mathmatically impossible for her to win, she still kept on. Sorry, Hillary; pay back your own debt. You know, I have $3500 outstanding on my credit card– could someone help me out with that??

July 30, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  15. Independent in NYC

Go away Governor Judas. We all know you're just trying to look good for the party. But we PUMA's wont fall for your B.S. You're a traitor and you wouldn't be where you are today if it weren't for the Clintons! Yet when they needed you most, you stabbed them in the back! Latinos didn't vote for Obama. You didn't represent your own race nor the state that voted for Clinton in the primaries. There is vritually nothing you or anyone else can do to prevent us from voting McCain in November. Mark my words.

WE WILL REMEMBER IN NOVEMBER!

It's either Clinton or McCain. NOBAMA!

July 30, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  16. Brian, NJ

Now the Clinton's need him. Good for Richardson.

Sucks when you lose and mismanage your campaign in the process. Imagine what her and her staff would have done to the country.

July 30, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  17. Jesus

every four years we two politicians arepresented by the govt. they throw us red meat we all get riled up, we "elect" a president and then we feel satisfied with ourselves enough grind it out and keep the great economy going.

these people are all friends. make no mistake about it. you think old flyboy hates hussein that much? u are mistaken they are both members of one of the most exclusive club on the planet and both would rather hang out with each other than with you if push came to shove. . . .

so keep hurling names at each other while they use your tax dollars to enrich themselves . . .

July 30, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  18. Ed,Ellenville,New York

The Obamabots are just as nasty as ever. I'm sure they'll blame Hillary when Obama loses. They're sure making McCain happy. Hill paid Richardson's debt off the way a candidate is supposed to. Where's the cheapskate Obama's check ? His campaign is on the hook for this one.

July 30, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  19. joan

The Clinton has more money than ninety nine percent of American. They are loaded. Paid off themselves! Money willl not satisfy them or their fanatic supporters. A tommy with a hole won't be filled by feeding.

July 30, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  20. SusiePuma

Obama needs the Hispanic vote – he figures this is one way to get it since the majority of Hispanic voters voted for Hillary in the primaries- good luck with that – everyone seems to think that people who don't support Obama are too stupid to know when they are being played – well, I don't wanna play his game – noway nobama november – keep your money judas – we've got her back and are paying the debt

PUMA x democrat

July 30, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  21. Oregon calling

Kevin in NC..................... Amen

Obama 08

July 30, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  22. Jerry, Florida

American voters don't be fooled! Richardson’s got eyes on the vice presidential slot. He sold the Clintons over another hypocrite, Senator Obama. Therefore, the more he stays in the news, the better his chances for the vice presidential slot. I thought King Obama was a big hypocrite, but Bill Richardson beats him by miles. Next, he will start acting like the vice president to be. But what are you expecting; Obama was acting like the president of the US during his trip abroad. And worst of all, the idiots in the news media drank the "Obama Kool-Aid" and thanked him for it.

American voters don't be fooled. I have been a life-long Democrat, but I am going to weigh my choices very carefully. I hope you all will do the same.

Stay tuned!

July 30, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  23. ROSJ

There is no reason why Obama should have to help Hillary get out of debt. Since when is this a requirement to get the loser's voters?
    This is wrong and should not be used to show some kind of party unity. They will vote for Obama if they want to. If they don't they don't. He will win anywyay.

No other candidates have had to do this in the past that I know of. Hillary knows better. She loaned out her own money herself. She should pay herself back, not us voters.

July 30, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  24. The Guy

"Judas’s betrayal of Christ."

You shouldn't report fiction as fact CNN

July 30, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  25. Jessica in IL

P.S. I wish these PUMA idiots would stick to their own hate-filled blogs and stop showing your ignorance on CNN. There's nothing worse than a sore loser. Thanks.

July 30, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |