July 31st, 2008

McCain says 'race card' charges are fair

McCain talked with CNN's John King Thursday.
McCain talked with CNN's John King Thursday.

(CNN) - John McCain told CNN Thursday it is fair for his campaign manager to claim Barack Obama is playing 'the race card.'

Watch McCain: Obama's playing the race card

"I'm sorry to say that it is. It's legitimate," McCain told CNN's John King. "And there's no place in this campaign for that. There's no place for it and we shouldn't be doing it."

Earlier Thursday, McCain campaign manager Rick Davis lashed out at the Democratic presidential candidate over his comments that Republicans are making an issue of his race.

"Barack Obama has played the race card, and he played it from the bottom of the deck. It's divisive, negative, shameful and wrong," Davis said in a statement sent to reporters.

An Obama spokesman immediately denied the assertion, but noted that the presumptive Democratic nominee believes that the McCain campaign was “using the same old low-road politics to distract voters from the real issues.”

At three stops in the battleground state of Missouri, Obama told audiences that his opponent is trying to make voters “scared” of him because he doesn’t look like past presidents – an apparent reference to being black — and has a “funny name.”

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. Dave, Illinois

Funny how the Obamites squeal whenever their mistakes catch up with them. I dare anybody to look on youtube.com and enter "Obama race card". There are videos of Obama claiming that others will bring up his color when nobody has! And, the liar then turns around and denies doing it. What an arrogant jerk!

July 31, 2008 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  2. Bill

I have YET to hear Senator Obama, or any of his campaign, "play the race card". All I've ever heard him do is DEFEND himself against stupid attacks like this, and others. Get over it McCain...

July 31, 2008 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  3. Tennisguypitt

You need to PUT OR SHUT UP, McCain.

Stop the fear mongering and Obama can stop the race card... but, you haven't.

Obama '08

July 31, 2008 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  4. McCain 08

I love CNN post... it brings out the Left wing nuts... You have had control of the house and senate for almost 2 years.... and in less then a year gas prices double and housing collapses... Good job.

And mcCain not talking about the issues.. Y won't obama debate McCain.. Cause he has nothing but crazy promises...

Obama is using the race card... Plan and simple... it worked for him before...Y not again right...But good call on McCain for calling him out on it... Something hillary wouldn't....And it killed her....

I heard Obama saved a group of children from a burning building with one of his speeches......

July 31, 2008 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  5. Vietnam Vet

Oh McWar give me a break, so we put two white girls in a negative ad with Obama , the same thing the Republicans did with Harold Ford in Tennessse the only difference this time, you have an intellegent person that threw your garbage back in your face. So take it like a man, you started the fight . As that old saying, if you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch.

July 31, 2008 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  6. A CANUCK

I wish PUMAs would just give it up and accept reality......Hillary ain't going to be VP .......or President eeeeeeeeeeever !!!!!!

July 31, 2008 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  7. MBFLA

My friends,

McCain = Recycled Bush

Is that what you want for 4 more years? Will there be anything left of America after that?

July 31, 2008 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  8. Anita from Arizona

"Obama told audiences that his opponent is trying to make voters “scared” of him because he doesn’t look like past presidents"

That above comment is not the "race-card" folks, sorry to tell you. It states the obvious. If you took that comment as playing the "race-card" them maybe you need to do some soul searching on yourself. Maybe race is an issue with you if that's the conclusion you came to from that statement.

Once again, we get off topic with the McCain campaign.

July 31, 2008 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  9. irma

This is how BO operates. "Vote for me, I am the black guy and you owe it to us! If you don't, then you must be a racist, McCain is one, that's why he's running against me."

July 31, 2008 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  10. Sally

Instead of wondering if anything the Republicana say about Senator Obama is racist, I ask how could it not be? White people are already fearful of blacks whether they admit it or not. (I'm white by the way and was married to a black man for many years while living in a confederate area of the U.S.) So, when his middle name is made to stand out, his love of country is questioned, and he shows up on the cover of a major magazine in a muslim outfit (even if it was meant to be funny), I would say that it feeds on the fear whites already have and pushes them toward McCain or not voting at all. If McCain wins the election it will be because of the above. Just because no one wants to admit that there is a "grey elephant" in the room, doesn't mean that it isn't there, it just means that everyone refuses to admit it or can't see because they don't have enough awareness of race relations in this country to be able to see it. I guess this won't get online!!!!!!!!!

July 31, 2008 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  11. Vera /AB. Canada

I think McSame is going senile or something is wrong with him. I cannot believe he is running for President ,he cannot give a speach without a telepromter or smaller speaches he has to read off a paper what a laugh and you people want someone like that. Send Obama to Canada we people will have him as he is a smart man.

July 31, 2008 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  12. David, Silver Spring, MD

The country is going down the tubes and we're borrowing money in order to throw it away in Iraq. In this environment, brought to you by eight years of George Bush, John McCain, and the Republican Party, all John McCain can offer is to whine that Obama is too popular. How sad.

John McCain is a crybaby.

July 31, 2008 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  13. Interracial Voter

Why have the pictures of Sen. Obama on Barakbook.com been altered to make Sen. Obama look angry and like a monkey? If this is not full blown racism... The only way that Sen. McCain knows about the "race card" is because he is the one who dealt it from the card deck.

July 31, 2008 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  14. Marc PDX

The race card has always been a big part of the Barack Star's playbook. He acts like he's taking the high road while tossing R-Bombs at his critics. If you are not voting for Barack then you are a racist. Sad!

July 31, 2008 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  15. Obama Does It Better

I would like to ask Senator McCain – Why do you allow people like Pat Buchanna represent you and say things like " Senator Obama need to prove he is one of us" When supporters of yours make statements like this on Sunday news shows I can't help but think they are your mouth piece. Why does Obama have to prove he is of of you? What does Buchannan mean by that? What I find more surprising is that no one in the media challenged Mr. Buchannan including the Obama camp? These supporters are using "fear" tactics to appeal to certain type of voters (Obama knows this) and this what Obama is objecting to. Senator McCain can pretend not to be aware but I for I'm not buying this.

The RNC has been using people like Hannity, Limbaugh and even Lou Dobbs (self proclaim independent) to shove their agenda down our throats. When these folks make comments it goes unchallenged. I'm tuning out from CNN because I find some of their reporting "tabloid like" there is no substantive issues being discussed. Jack Cafferty has a point – we should not carry water for McCain camp, we need to talk about jobs, taxes, gas prices, energy, etc. I'm still waiting for McCain to outline his economic plan other then say he will not raise taxes (maybe he won't)?

Please post this because I'm really concerned the road this election coverage has taken in the past week.

July 31, 2008 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  16. Jay, Raleigh, NC

The "Race Card"? That's pretty thin gruel coming from the GOP that found it's niche bashing immigrants and gays.

I guess McCain would be happier if Obama just sat back and ignored all those anonymous, false, and slanderous emails about Obama's religion, and background.

McCain will be four more years of Bush. His campaign is making that point loud and clear.

July 31, 2008 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  17. Marc PDX

DEBATE! Someone find Barack and bring him to the debates. Choreographed sound bites and canned speeches are lame. Come to the forum, Barack! It's time...

July 31, 2008 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  18. Glenn

And some Americans consider McCain a real American hero…..what a phony! McCain is a shameless liar, who lacks honesty, character and integrity. He is a hypocrite!

July 31, 2008 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  19. Marc PDX

Hillary was right!

July 31, 2008 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  20. kayla

mcsame has nothing to offer the american public. that is the reason every word out his mouth is sen. obama this, and sen obama that. he has absolutely nothing. nada. zero. could you imagine him in the white house? get real people..

July 31, 2008 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  21. susie

Obama played the race card during the primary with Hillary and is doing it again.

July 31, 2008 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  22. HTowell

Obama used the race card against the Clintons and he used it again 3 times yesterday comparing what he looks like to the portraits on our dollar bills.He is not as clever as in the ge as he was in the primaries.People have gotten wiser and and are more familiar with his little code words this time around.Too bad it is too late to change his nomination.As a Democrat I have moved on from the entire corrupt party.

July 31, 2008 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  23. Carl in Texas

Let's face it, McCain is a racist. He's loosing and now he's sunk to the lowest depths. The Replublican Party should dump McCain now. He should never have gotten this far. That's it! I'm going to vote for Obama. I've had enough of John McLoser.

July 31, 2008 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  24. The Bu

I'm not defending what Obama said, because "they" (the Republicans) will try to paint him exactly as he stated. I believe where the flaw may have come in is if he said, specifically, that McCain would say these things. As an African-American, though, I will say, as the old folks used to say, "A HIT DOG WILL HOLLER!!!!" Take that for what you will.

July 31, 2008 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  25. Eugene

Get out of the gutter, John.

July 31, 2008 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |