August 1st, 2008

In new TV spot, GOP senator stresses his work with Obama

A new ad from Gordon Smith’s campaign stresses his work with Barack Obama.
A new ad from Gordon Smith’s campaign stresses his work with Barack Obama.

(CNN) - Republican campaigns have launched a slew of ads this year looking to tie Democratic congressional candidates to Barack Obama. Now the Illinois senator’s name is making another appearance in a new GOP spot this week - the second ad from Oregon Senator Gordon Smith that stresses his own working relationship with the presumptive Democratic nominee, and with Massachusetts Senator John Kerry.

"Times are tough. Rising prices on gas, food, health care. Families need help. That's why I choose to reach across the aisle,” says Smith in the new spot. “With John Kerry to protect homeowners from foreclosure, with Barack Obama for better gas mileage. And when President Bush tried to cut Medicaid, the Oregon health plan, I said no. What matters is helping people, not who gets the credit.”

Last month, Smith plugged his work with the Illinois Democrat to push for stricter mileage standards for automobiles.

Smith may be highlighting his ties to Obama - but he can’t boast a nod from his Senate colleague, who supports Democratic opponent Jeff Merkley.

1. jfs Memhis, Tn

Smart Man...especially being from Oregon. Maybe he should change his party affiliation ???? That might be smarter yet.

August 1, 2008 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  2. Sharon, MInnesota

Has anyone ask Gordon who he'll vote for President?

August 1, 2008 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  3. norml

e1 wants to be obama!i heard this guy [smith] left his wife and family just to follow barack around.if all republicans would just become democrats then we could fight about other things.

August 1, 2008 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  4. EBC

It's about time someone understands that it's NOT about whether you are a Democrat or Republican, it's about WORKING TOGETHER to solve the issues of the American people.

Congress has been focusing on EGOS more than solving the problems facing the nation. It's getting pretty disgraceful. These politicians just DON'T GET IT. I don't care if you are a Republican/Democrat.

WHAT ARE YOU DOING to help solve healthcare, gas prices, employment, foreclosures, etc. I don't give a hoot if you wear a tu-tu as LONG as you are getting the job DONE with my tax dollars.

Our politicians need to GET OFF THEIR HIGH HORSES and start earning their pay. I'm tired of paying them for doing NOTHING!!!! ENOUGH ALREADY.

Bottom line!!!!

August 1, 2008 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  5. Linda31

Amazing! And talking about working on gas prices at that

August 1, 2008 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  6. T Guy

RIDE ON OBAMA'S COAT TAIL. THIS IS ALL THE REPUBS CAN DO AFTER SCREWING UP FOR YEARS. JUST ELECT OBAMA FOR PRESIDENT AND BE DONE WITH IT.

VOTE OBAMA........08

August 1, 2008 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  7. bridgette

I am an Independent and I think I would vote for this man. I use to be a Democrat, but, if I lived in that area I would probably vote for that man. He seems honest and real.

August 1, 2008 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  8. Phil, FL

Did he vote with McShame on keeping women's salaries low? Or with Obama to give equal pay for equal work?

He'd better check is record – more women vote than men.

August 1, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  9. Wood

He'll suffer the fate of that independent-minded Republican who lost in '06. It's just a bad time to be a 'Repug'..

August 1, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  10. Sherry, Atlanta

Senator Gordon Smith, a good Politian

August 1, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  11. Kathy

Scores of GOP candidates are staying away from the convention. Just read that one GOP'er is telling ALL candidates to stay away! Bush is the best thing to happen to the GOP since Nixon!! Greedy and hypocritical is their motto..Larry Craig, Mark Foley, Ted Stevens, David Vitter....and the list goes on and on and on.....

August 1, 2008 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  12. norml

i believe he has a 'man'-crush on obama.

August 1, 2008 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  13. VON BISMARK,Vienna.

These repugs are getting confused everyday.

August 1, 2008 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  14. sola

This election is about Obama.

August 1, 2008 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  15. Bushwhacked in Eugene, OR

This is not the first time he's used Obama's name in his ads over the past month, trying to lure Democrats to his side in this election.

The funny thing is, he's really annoying his own conservative constituency with this ad, as they see him attached to issues that are not what they support.

I don't think he's going to fool any of the Democrats, either. We've watched him in action for too many years. A few crossover bills and votes are fine - we should have more of it - but he too-obviously began this effort as the election loomed ahead and he felt vulnerable.

I'll be really surprised if this works for him.

August 1, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  16. Kim, Charlotte, NC

The media points out 24/7 how many Democrats are supporting McCain, but they won't talk about how many Republicans are supporting Obama.

Wonder why?

August 1, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  17. Not An Idiot

Still Gonna Lose your Seat!!!

August 1, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  18. Rudy NYC

Isn't this old news? Reported on about 2 months ago? Back then the article quoted Obama as saying that he had not, nor plan on endorsing this Senator. He had no further comments.

August 1, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  19. California Gold

Would love to see some testimonials about life in Congress with McCain and 20 years of his volatile temper blow ups and swearing melt downs. Witnessing his conduct is all I need to keep him out of the White House. He's a sick man.

August 1, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  20. Bob from Pittsburgh

If I owed $10,000.00 to a credit card, and my payment is $1000.00 per month, but I am only able to pay $800.00 then I have a deficit of $200.00 Now lets say the credit card adds that deficit ($200.00) to the total amount owed, then every moth I would get further and further in debt..

Now think… the USA has a “”TEN TRILLION DOLLAR DEBT, AND A MEGA BILLION DEFICIT”” During the last fifty years the “R” in Republican stands for Recession, Nixon administration, Regan, Bush has ended in Recession and whopping debts and deficits.

Remember that in November..

August 1, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  21. Abby

I love it! Thereby proving Obama’s bipartisan work yet again!

August 1, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  22. Henry n New York

CAN YOU SPELL

BI-PARISIAN

That is how our government can accomplish all it needs to. Democrats and Obamaicans, we will reshape, remake, improve and renew our country.

YES WE CAN

August 1, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  23. Robert

This man would have my vote.

August 1, 2008 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  24. Lusi

Pathetic wannabe Republican......

No true member of the GOP would align hum/herself with this Socialist media creation...

August 1, 2008 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |