August 2nd, 2008

Obama's ideal role for McCain? Loyal Opposition

Sen. Barack Obama speaks at a town hall rally in Titusville, Florida, Saturday.
Sen. Barack Obama speaks at a town hall rally in Titusville, Florida, Saturday.

TITUSVILLE, Florida (CNN) –- The last week has left little doubt that the presidential campaign has taken a turn for the negative though John McCain and Barack Obama still insist they respect each other. But would McCain have a role in an Obama administration?

“You're setting me up to get in trouble,” Obama told a Florida supporter who asked him during a townhall meeting if McCain and his stalwart surrogate, Democrat-turned-Independent Sen. Joe Lieberman, would gets jobs in a Democratic White House.

“I would have [McCain] serve in the role of loyal opposition, in the minority,” Obama told the crowd after initially stumbling over a few words, searching for an appropriate answer.

“There's an important function to be served there,” he added, “I mean it's important to have an opposition that is keeping you on your toes and giving you a hard time and calling you out if you're not doing what you say you’re going to do. That's part of what is good about democracy.”

Obama declined to mention whether he sees former Democratic colleague Lieberman as part of the opposition as well.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. anyomous

a

August 2, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  2. texas4obama

that is one of the best questions I have ever heard in a campaign.

I wish they asked John Kerry that about in 2004. Would anyone want to use George Bush in their administration?

August 2, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  3. Ez

Go Obama take the high road let McSame throw the mud we all know you are better than that kind of B S

August 2, 2008 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  4. Griff

He will need that from you, Mr Obama. But after what you did to Hillary Clinton on Florida & Michigan. He won't get it....Yolu have no Loyalty..
    You have no Good-Will Credentials.... None..............

August 2, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  5. Military Man

Is it just me or is Obama a complete verbal clutz whenever he strays from his scripted path? It's no wonder he won't agree to debates with the Republican nominee ... expecially after his poor performance vs Senator Clinton earlier this year.

Sadly, this independent isn't even considering the Democratic party this election. It's a shame the DNC/Media worked so hard to push this empty suit on us.

August 2, 2008 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  6. Texas Trail Dog!

OH BOY CNN – HE'S PRESIDENT ALREADY. I THOUGHT WE STILL HAD AN ELECTION TO GO IN NOVEMBER. OF COURSE I KNOW YOU MEDIA GUYS HAVE ALREADY WHO THE NEW BOY ON THE BLOCK IS. BUT, YOU JUST MAY BE A WHOLE LOT SURPRISED. THERE'S SURE A LOT OF US DISSENTERS OUT HERE. WE'RE NOT GOING DOWN EASY. GET TOGETHER HILLARY SUPPORTERS AND REPUBLICANS LET'S KEEP THIS FRAUD FROM ANYWHERE NEAR THE WHITE HOUSE.

August 2, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  7. Griff

I still have to find out, what it is you have got. Mr Obama... Your in the lead because you "Yong and Black"" You have nothing else going for you....

August 2, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  8. Mike in Houston

Obama's ideal role for me would be what he has the most experience at doing. A community organizer in Southside Chicago. GO HOME OBAMA!

August 2, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  9. Morris Graham

Senator McCain has said repeatedly that "The Obama campaign has retracted their statement so lets move on." (8/1/08) However, the Washington Post, dated 6/2/08 states that senator Obama "...did not retract his allegations or back away from his contention that Republicans were trying to scare voters about him. As often as the clip of McCain repeating this is played, I'm surprised no one has addressed this.

August 2, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  10. Franky

I'll tell you who will want one...the Governor! LOL!!!

By the way, did someon tell him or something?? He just pops out of nowhere someimes! LOL!!

Na'h, na'h I'm playing, he does a good job for his state...

August 2, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  11. dem

I wonder if Obama will pick Ludicris fo V.P.?? People are judged by the friends they keep....I think as a democrat I will go with McCain.

August 2, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  12. WOW!!

The ? is would Obama have a role in a Mccain administration

August 2, 2008 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  13. Rocky

I've heard some dumb questions before but this one takes the cake. No two candidates could be further apart on just about every issue. So how could either one consider making the other part of there administration. Maybe this has already went on to long if this is the best question someone can come up with.

August 2, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  14. Franky

You know what I was thinking about guys?? Where's Senator McCain at??? Then I was like, "Oh yeah, he's off on weekends." LOL!!

August 2, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  15. Independant Thinker

I will be in opposition to you as well Obama, because I do not think that this country can survive a Socialist like YOU.

Obama, your voting record is soooo far LEFT that it is left of the Socialists that are currently in our senate.

If you don't believe me, just do a little research and look at their voting records for your self.

**** WAKE UP AMERICA *****

August 2, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  16. reggie

NO doubt, the republicans will be in the monority in the senate, but they will still hold the executive seat in the White House. Obama doesn't have the experience nor knowledge to lead this great nation.

August 2, 2008 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  17. reggie

NO doubt, the republicans will be in the minority in the senate, but they will still hold the executive seat in the White House. Obama doesn't have the experience nor knowledge to lead this great nation.

August 2, 2008 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  18. Helen, NY

Barack, you do not have any administration because you cannot be our president. bad luck. Go away. Why should you talk about McCain. Please talk about yourself. You are nothing. No experience. Go to school.

August 2, 2008 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  19. I hear Thunder

I just watched the mcAthiest AD where McNuts tries to invoke Bible verses to portray Obama as a quasi Moses or Christ. Uh Huh, Yeah mcInsane, go ahead and mis use the Word of GOD for your personal gain. Lets just see how that works for you !

August 2, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  20. joe

Am jealous of not being American,where real democracy is been pratice,this is what the wolrd needs,Africa leaders as a lot to learn from this,and is a great example to the world.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!

August 2, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  21. Dave, Illinois

A more fitting role for Obama would be a junior senetor learning something about his own state before trying to be the Commander-in-Chief. I live in Central Illinois and Obama described us as having a deep southern culture. This shows how out of touch he is with his own state. Its true that the whole state below Chicago is Republican territory but we are solidly Midwesterner stock. Though, I would not be ashamed of southern culture.
    The point is that Obama is a typical Chicago politician who has a narrow view of the world learned in his small metropolitin corner of the world. The only reason he is seen as "worldly" is because of the biased press.
    I'll take real experience and a hard worker over a stuffed suit and arrogant slacker. I'll vote McCain.

August 2, 2008 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  22. Nanc, MN

Wow – Even the opposition has to be "loyal" now. Wonder if a signed oath is required?

Come on CNN, be a good sport, post one of my comments, for old time's sake.

August 2, 2008 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  23. Richard, FL

Great answer by Barack Obama.

Don't expect a thoughtful answer like that from McCain. He's too busy running a negative campaign after his huge falsehood about not being negative.

August 2, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  24. Black 35 year old male for McCain

Obama is unable to think on his feet. I hope he wins the election. It will mean the end of the Democrat party.

August 2, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  25. Sebastian

The public can say things that candidates should not be asked and should never answer ...

McCains best days are behind him ... there is no broad role for him in the go forward picture.

He may be able to champion an issue or two but that's about it.

August 2, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |