August 3rd, 2008

Cantor getting "thorough vetting" from McCain team

Rep. Eric Cantor, right, is being vetted by John McCain’s vice presidential search team.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – A Virginia congressman is among those getting "thorough vetting" by John McCain's vice presidential team, an informed Republican source told CNN on Saturday.

The lawmaker is U.S. Rep. Eric Cantor, R-Va., a top GOP member in the House. The 45-year-old is a fourth-term congressman representing Virginia's 7th District, a heavily-Republican district in the Richmond area.

The source said that the work on Cantor and other potential running mates is mostly done.

Some conservatives have been pushing the House chief deputy minority whip for the vice presidential spot.

"He's bright, clean, conservative but not angry, and Jewish. (He's a) great fund-raiser and locks up Virginia for good measure," the source said.

The source indicated he "doubt(s) he'll be the pick but he's a comer in the party."

A spokesman for McCain, the presumptive Republican presidential nominee, told CNN on Saturday night he had no comment on the report, and would not say if McCain and the congressman had met. The Associated Press reports Cantor declined comment as well.

Cantor may be the only current member of Congress under serious consideration by McCain.

Others Republicans believed to be in contention include former Mass. Gov. Mitt Romney, former U.S. Rep. Rob Portman of Ohio, and Minn. Gov. Tim Pawlenty

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Alan Boyer

another weak republican

August 3, 2008 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  2. Republican trash

Whats the point of replying to these comments on the weekend when they ignored all of them on saturday. Now all it says is permalink? Why have a "leave your comment" here if you are planning to ignor it all?

August 3, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  3. Ron democrat turned independent

I would say that Hillary Clinton would make McCain an ideal VP her campaign issues closely match those of McCain and i think women would love to see her in the white house. whatever baggage she brings with her would be offset by her experience and draw power so he should reach across and invite her. obviously her future does not lie in an obama government

August 3, 2008 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  4. Connie

Mr.Cantor should , run Eric run. OBAMA 08
    Connie from Indiana

August 3, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  5. Rebecca

Obama is the best choice in this race. Even the Republicans to include Sean Hannity and Rush Limbaugh praised him before they thought he stood a chance against Hillary. Now they are making false attacks on him and making up lies.

It doesn't matter who McCain chooses, he is a continuation of the Bush administration.

August 3, 2008 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  6. Auntie Coosa, Blairsville, Georgia, USofA

Yeah, but does he look like those other Presidents? Does he have a funny name? Is he . . . black? Yes, Not Really, No, he's Jewish.

You know what? I don't care! I'll bet the majority of US Voters are looking at issues and not the color of skin or the ethnicity of a Candidate. And if they ARE voting based on skin color or ethnicity and not based on issues and character, then maybe they shouldn't waste time voting in November. The USofA needs an educated voter, not an emotional one.

August 3, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  7. Will, NJ

Is that the best picture they could find? It's like they snapped the shot 2 seconds before Cantor stabbed McCain in the back.

August 3, 2008 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  8. Anne

Clean?? As opposed to waht??

August 3, 2008 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  9. Phyllis/ PA

He sound like a good potential but I still believe that Gov. Paulin would bring many of Hillary supporters to vote for McCain.

August 3, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  10. yala

How dumb is America to vote for a senile man for president?
    You've voted for a lame duck and now it's time for senility!

August 3, 2008 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  11. William Spivey

Big Mc as long as it isn't Slow Joe. Hell you need someone young enough to push your wheelchair.

August 3, 2008 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  12. Puma Bush

Hey John King go get your dictionary out you may have missed a couple words descriping this /di you tell him the so called Titanic is cracking re: The Loosers Express . Oh this may be,could be ,believe it may be, potential, serious consideration .believed to be in contention ,presumptive,a comer,a report,bright and clean but not angry and JEWISH (isnt that an odd statement Not Jewish?
    What a buildup for 2 piles of crap.

August 3, 2008 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  13. Another grumpy old white woman for Obama

Who cares what his "religion" is? Why don't we just re-name America :
    Israel West?

August 3, 2008 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  14. Sean

McCain has to make sure that Cantor is willing to play dirty, dishonest political games like he does before bringing him on board.

August 3, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  15. Obama 08/12

I thought I was on CNN but must be Fox they won't let people blog keep removing them they must benefit McBush or are removed notice how the Brittney and religious McCain ad stay on here under Permalink and they cut blogs off after a couple entrys on McBush.
    Way to go CNN you are showing your FOX colors.

August 3, 2008 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  16. Henderson

I certainly hope that McCain can concentrate, what with Joe Lieberman practically jumping into his lap lately....

August 3, 2008 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  17. Barack Uda

McKane and McCan't. What a pair!

August 3, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  18. The Nightingale Sings in Berkley Square

I would prefer Mitt Romney. Mitt brings a lot to the table.

McCain should consider this further.

Mitt could become one of the finest VP's of all time.

August 3, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  19. Dan, FL

Well, here are some facts, since the GOP doesn't like to deal in those. McBush has been around Washington for decades to be exact 25 years. He was a pilot (logged a whole 20 hours of flying) during Vietnam before making a poor mental error that led to his capture. He got more credit and fame than the pilots who complted their mission sucessfully in Vietnam.

The worst part of it all is that he left his injured wife for a wealthy trophy wife.

August 3, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  20. JIM CARTER

I think John should pick Mitt Romney today. He has no other good choice and I'm a Baptist. He is loosing vaulable time hum haulling around with the somewhat unknowns. You need Mitts voice on the trail now-Lets get going.

August 3, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  21. bill for barack

Isn't this known in other circles as the kiss of death ?

August 3, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  22. LeMonton

McCain gave us the ad "The One". In response, I dedicate to McCain the Metallica song "One".

I can't remember anything
    can't tell if this is true or dream
    deep down inside I feel to scream
    this terrible silence stops me

now that the war is through with me
    I'm waking up, I cannot see
    that there's not much left of me
    nothing is real but pain now

hold my breath as I wish for death
    oh please God, wake me

back in the womb it's much too real
    in pumps life that I must feel
    but can't look forward to reveal
    look to the time when I'll live

fed through the tube that sticks in me
    just like a wartime novelty
    tied to machines that make me be
    cut this life off from me

hold my breath as I wish for death
    oh please God, wake me

now the world is gone I'm just one
    oh God, help me hold my breath as I wish for death

darkness imprisoning me
    all that I see
    absolute horror
    I cannot live
    I cannot die
    trapped in myself
    body my holding cell

landmine has taken my sight
    taken my speech
    taken my hearing
    taken my arms
    taken my legs
    taken my soul
    left me with life in hell

August 3, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  23. jFA

Would the prospect of Rep. Eric Cantor (R-VA) selected as the first Jewish Vice President help Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) carry Florida? The politics of identity is a tragic and treacherous trench.

August 3, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  24. mimi362

McCain needs someone who is an excellent speaker,someone who is quick and decisive with a good sense of humor someone who could possibly steal the show from Obama.

August 3, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  25. aware

Eric Cantor would be a very interesting choice and quite like the move McCain might go for! :)

August 3, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |