August 3rd, 2008

Is McCain's 'Celeb' ad accurate?

CNN

Watch more on McCain’s claim that Obama would raise your electric bill.

(CNN) - John McCain's campaign got a lot of attention last week for its ad that likens Barack Obama to Britney Spears and Paris Hilton.

The ad calls Obama "the biggest celebrity in the world," but asks, "Is he ready to lead."

In addition to the flashy imagery, the ad also claims that Obama would raise taxes on electricity. But is that claim true? CNN's Josh Levs reports.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. Watermann

Is it a test in connection with people`s knowledge of the facts? Many of the people living in rural America don`t even know about the personal facts of senator Obama. This ad is directly aimed at those citizens who are low educated and low informed, thus it will fulfil its purpose. Sad enough that such a lot of people in the US don`t even check up the facts and vote as they have voted for generations.

August 3, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  2. Timmy Coffee

The American media has long hidden from the public the astonishing fact that as a long term US Senator, John McCain has only a rudimentary understanding of both domestic and national security issues. His petulant, spoiled child disposition makes him un- presidential. He is a reckless individual. A vote for him is a reckless, irresponsible vote. This concerted racist campaign he has now decided to run demonstrates he has no decency. In the last week, he has made it perfectly clear that his campaign is based on the rebirth of Jim Crow era politics. The incessant comments that Senator Obama is presumptuous, arrogant and/or cocky are all code words for he is an uppity Negro who can’t be trusted to know his place. Along with the constant red security alerts, which the Bush administration will start up within the next month, it wouldn’t be surprising for McCain-Bush to propose a national poll tax before the November election. America is struggling after 16 years of Clinton and Bush. McCain would be the final nail in America’s coffin.

August 3, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  3. LeMonton

McCain gave us the ad "The One". In response, I dedicate to McCain the Metallica song "One".

I can't remember anything
    can't tell if this is true or dream
    deep down inside I feel to scream
    this terrible silence stops me

now that the war is through with me
    I'm waking up, I cannot see
    that there's not much left of me
    nothing is real but pain now

hold my breath as I wish for death
    oh please God, wake me

back in the womb it's much too real
    in pumps life that I must feel
    but can't look forward to reveal
    look to the time when I'll live

fed through the tube that sticks in me
    just like a wartime novelty
    tied to machines that make me be
    cut this life off from me

hold my breath as I wish for death
    oh please God, wake me

now the world is gone I'm just one
    oh God, help me hold my breath as I wish for death

darkness imprisoning me
    all that I see
    absolute horror
    I cannot live
    I cannot die
    trapped in myself
    body my holding cell

landmine has taken my sight
    taken my speech
    taken my hearing
    taken my arms
    taken my legs
    taken my soul
    left me with life in hell

August 3, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  4. clarity

raising your electric bill?...in 2009?
    In a time when Americans are walking an economic tightrope shuffling their dollars in hopes of being able to cover the cost of buying food vs buying gas, vs dealing with potential foreclosures... these current worries are what matter right now and overshadow any potential problems down the road.

August 3, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  5. vicki

Its a SHAME SHAME add. McCain is just losing again and its jealous of Barack.

August 3, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  6. aware

Obama used the celebrity/overexposure comparison himself earlier so he is being hypocritical to object now! :(

Remember – it takes oil to generate electricity, so however you look at it, Obama's plans will cost Americans big time!

August 3, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  7. Mc Attack!!!

McAttack- Think it 's Alot a Humor in it ......Quote****we're having fun and enjoying it

August 3, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  8. KATIEC PEKIN, IL

Yes, Barack Obama is a celebrity. So many people believe in
    him, are proud of his status and so very proud of the man
    hisself. How could he not get attention. And to create an admirable
    relationship with foreign countries is somethng we have been
    lacking for quite some time.
    Is he ready to lead? ABSOLUTELY!
    Mccaain and the republicians need to stop being so
    ridiculous with their ads and bring back some integrity
    to their campaigns.

August 3, 2008 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  9. Monica for Obama in Indiana

Yes, in part but only for the rich and wealthiest in the country. Others he will cut taxes.

August 3, 2008 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  10. JB

Celebrity? It looks as if McCain is jealous. Obama draws huge crowds. He speaks well. He looks the part.

McCain is not the "biggest celebrity in the world". But is HE ready to lead?

August 3, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  11. welches, oregon

If Mcain should somehow be elected, the entire World will ROAR in collective laughter and disgust. The same old politics in the same old way. The entire world wants a change – we want Barack!

August 3, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  12. Chipster

Accurate? No, it's just pathetically sad. It seriously just sounds like the green-eyed monster – ENVY. At the end of the commercial, it should add "MEOWWWW!"

August 3, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  13. The Shepherd

I don't know about the part on raising taxes on electricity because all Obama would need to do is shift his position again. But the part about Obama being likened to celebrity's is accurate. He's not going to be a good leader if he keeps on flip-flopping, that's for sure.

August 3, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  14. Mk

How can you ask if this ad is accurate?
    Its so stupid that there isn't really an "accurate" point to comment on.
    If you mean is Obama popular? Yes, thank god. We have had 8 years of the world disliking Bush it is quite refreshing to see someone who is actually respected in the world.
    McCain has really poor taste.

August 3, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  15. Matt

To answer the title question....yes and no. Mccain is calling Obama the biggest celebrity in the world because he has a hard time facing the dismal reality that is the presidential election: Obama is far more popular than Mccain, and his latest trip around the world proved that. So, as the old saying goes, desparate times call for desparate measures. Mccain cannot seem to find anything legitimately wrong with Obama, so he starts putting ads out like this one or the Messiah one (which is disgraceful considering how "noble" Mccain vowed to be before the race started). So yes, Obama is becoming more presidential and more popular throughout the world, no that doesn't mean that he is unable to lead because of that.

August 3, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  16. Helen, NY

Yes. It is. Barack does not desrve to be our president. he has no record and no accomplishments.

August 3, 2008 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  17. mollygonz

LIes, lies. McSame..keep feeding us more lies!

August 3, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  18. Brian

Only those that practice "group think" will by into this ad. When people are becoming homeless by the thousands I expect more at this level. I donated to McCain and I wish I could get my money back, because he really is starting to sound like Bush/Rove and co. Something we cannot afford...

August 3, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  19. Mr C

I don't recall any truth from McBush campaign. Is this a surprise??

August 3, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  20. Morgan

At last the news media is commenting on the devious use of young, vulnerable, blond women as a way to scare voters about the black candidate. The racist undertones are the point here. The question about is a "celebrity" ready to lead is merely the Trojan horse on which these Knights of the Camilia in their white sheets rode in on. Thankfully, people are seeing this for what it is. The Republicans know they can't "swiftboat" this time so they're "Harold Fording" Obama. It wont work. Oh, and Obama is "the one" this time. That they got right.

August 3, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  21. Nick

"I think we should trust George W. Bush in every decision he makes and just support that, you know, and be faithful in what happens."
    -Britney Spears

Now does that sound more like Obama or McCain?

August 3, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  22. Susan

It is vapid and has strong racial overtones, just like the Republicans did to Harold Ford. By the way, why hasn't CNN called McCain on his claimof Obama pulling the race card? did you all conveniently forget his ad in June where he superimposed Obamas face over the one dollar bill!! McCain, Davis and Shcoenamnn – all graduted Magna Cum Laude from the Rove Scool of Dirty Politics. NO HONOR in that camp!

August 3, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  23. McAttack Think SO!!!

McAttack -Quote-I think it's got a lot of humor in it, we're having fun and enjoying it."

August 3, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  24. Republicans hate America

He is the biggest celebrity in the world! and to answer your question he is ready to lead too. Thanks for pointing that out McSame. My question McSame is when are you going to address the issues that matter to America?

August 3, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  25. pam Eugene OR

This isn't McCain's first out right lie and it won't be his last. McCain is running a filthy campaign based on lies and fear mongering. I hope the Republicans are not able to fool the country yet again.
    Obama 08