August 3rd, 2008

Obama calls for giving 'full vote' to Michigan, Florida delegates

Sen. Barack Obama said Sunday that Michigan and Florida delegates should get a full vote.

(CNN) - Sen. Barack Obama said Sunday that the delegates from Florida and Michigan should get a “full vote” at the Democratic convention this month.

“I believe party unity calls for the delegates from Florida and Michigan to be able to participate fully alongside the delegates from the other states and territories,” he said in a letter to the co-chairs of the Democratic National Convention’s Credentials Committee.

Obama asked the committee to pass a resolution when it meets on August 24 to give each delegate a full vote.

Florida and Michigan were stripped of their delegates as a penalty for holding their primaries too early. During the primary season, there were growing calls to seat the delegations as Obama and Sen. Hillary Clinton were locked in a tight race for their party’s nomination. Obama and Clinton were about 100 delegates apart in March, and Florida and Michigan's cache of 366 delegates had the potential to shake up the race.

The battle over the states’ delegates became a key issue on the campaign trail. Clinton had long advocated for seating both states’ delegations. She won both primaries, but the Democratic candidates had agreed to not campaign in the two states and she was the only top-tier candidate on the ballot in Michigan.

Clinton’s message that “every vote should count” became a key theme in her stump speeches. She accused Obama of being "un-American" for not backing plans to hold a revote in the two states.

The Illinois senator denied claims that he was standing in the way of revotes.

"I want the Michigan delegation and the Florida delegation to be seated. And however the Democratic National Committee determines we can get that done, I'm happy to abide by those rules," he told CNN in March.

After months of wrangling over what to do, the DNC’s rules and bylaws committee voted in late May to reinstate all of Florida and Michigan's delegates, with each getting a half-vote.

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Diane Dagenais Turbide

Hi Jack,

Thank You for this historic change of recognizing the true spirit of democracy...I would kiss America right now!

As I am reading this, I cannot stop softly smiling and if I'm feeling like people from Florida and Michigan; I teared up and it was not and it is not fabricated!

This moment is the one we all have been waiting for including Obama...i hope it feels as good as it does right know...remember this feeling and this moment and share that feeling with words since I believe that when a person sits down to write down his or her own words it is usually to make things right and people need to realize how a futur President is in touch by listening to its people and caring for its people!

God Bless you all!
    Best regards and my deepest respect for a renewed sense of the true spirit of democracy
    Diane Dagenais Turbide
    Quebec, Canada

August 3, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  2. BlackMan4Mac

What a little weasle, now that he pooped on Hillary, he wants all the vote for himself, is this dude sick or what. What a friggin scam artist, I hate this guy. Fl. and Mi should tell him, "We are not falling for your scams anymore" "We are voting for someone that means what they say, not a sleeze"

August 3, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  3. REALLY proud now

Another refinement of his earlier position?

The rules matter... if enforcing them steals me the nomination.

The rules no longer matter... if breaking them might gain me the votes of those whos votes I blocked and had discounted.

I destroyed party unity to steal the nomination... now I will make a token gesture to try to repair the damage.

To what end?

Hill would NOW be our nominee if the votes had been counted in March.

August 3, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  4. ay

Obama is a fool.Why don't he say this long time ago.he will say/do anything to win.He is not different.i dislike him now.We can not be deceived. We better vote for Mccain that has integrity.i'm a democrat but will never vote for Obama.

Mccain 08

August 3, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  5. Rocky

Apparently BO changed his mind again now that it doesn't matter. Being from Michigan I for one will not forget his campaign standing in the way to getting these delegates seated. This man must think the voters of MI and FL are complete idiots.

August 3, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  6. Ell

Now, Obama is for seating the Forigan delegates! What a jerk!

August 3, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  7. Stacey

What a surprise. Obama didn't want it during the primaries but now he wants Florida and Michigan delegates to have full voting rights?????? He is as bad a Bush. It shows he will do anything if it benefits him.. I believed they should of had full voting rights in the beginning, but not Barack.
    Wake up America he's no different...the only change he is going to bring around is his agenda, which I still do not know what it is.

August 3, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  8. videmocrat

This is obamas response to his power

August 3, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  9. videmocrat

This is obamas response to Mcain

August 3, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  10. Neutral

NOBAMA, YOU'RE A DAY LATE AND A DOLLAR SHORT!!!!

SHOVE YOUR PANDERING BULLSHEIT WHERE THE SUN DON'T SHINE BUDDY!!!!

YOU DON'T DESERVE A SINGLE DELEGATE FROM MICHIGAN, YOUR NAME WAS NOT IN THE BALLOT THIEF!!! YOU VOLUNTARILY WITHDREW YOUR NAME BECAUSE OF IOWA!!!!

August 3, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  11. REALLY proud now

Geez...

Too late to effect the outcome... he has been selected...

who cares? ALL the delegates can be given 25% weight or 300% weight... it makes no difference in the outcome... THE RATIO is the same

August 3, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  12. Wake up Amerika

Good Idea to change the rules now? to benefit who?

Did the people who voted- FOR HILLARY- get their votes counted?

Who cares who is seated now?

The nomination has been stolen.

August 3, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  13. Wake up Amerika

another Poor decision by the man with perfect judgement... WE ALL SEE THE PLOY... it is token now... Hillary would be nominee if you had not blocked it in March... or allowed the proposed revote to occur.

Doing what polls well again- but too little too late.

August 3, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  14. Anonymous

Now he wants them to have a full vote? A little disengenuios, a day late and a dollar short. As a former democrat who is now an independent I find it appauling. His arrogance has no end.

August 3, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  15. Ann Romero

Stacey, you got it right. What is up with this flip flopper Barack, two faced. It is his party after all that allowed this to happen.

August 3, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  16. fooled the sheople but not the people

Barack is very stupid if he thinks people can not see through this idiotic ploy: now that it can't hurt me, I will let you count and be FULLY seated.

When you votes would have cost me the nomination- I hired lawyers to prevent your votes from counting.

August 3, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  17. William in Illinois

If McCain were an honorable, he would have left the GOP in 2000 after the despicable way he was treated in the 2000 South Carolina primary by the Bush/Cheney Gang.

August 3, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  18. david

People in Michigan and Florida will never never forget what he did. However , people will not forget what he did but will remember what Hillary Clinton did she stood up for what is right that every full vote should be counted. I see Obama's ship has a few leaks on his ship and maybe turn into a titanic sinking. I hope Michigan and Florida protest in return what he did by fighting Hillary Clinton for the full voting rights. Obama needs to get off the High horse and come to reality now he know he is in trouble now.. He needs Hillary now more than ever.

August 3, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  19. seah

Maybe he just does not want to win.

Bring Hillary Back and get his butt out of there.

He knows nothing, has done nothing. for you me or the country.

He is stuck on himself.

He wants to be a Super Star.

August 3, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  20. The Obvious Choice

Get your facts Straight! Obama played by the Rules Clinton didn't! When will you Hillbots ever learn!
    YOU BREAK THE RULES YOU PAY THE PENALTY!
    Dont go blaiming Obama for everything he is not your Scapegoat!!!
    Do your research if you want to know what his Agenda is everyone else with a brain knows what say you!?!
    Obama is the clear choice
    Yes we can!
    08/12

August 3, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  21. division by race baiting ruined Obama

Win at any cost Obama is spinning, refining, lying, pandering, posturing again.

Who cares?

You stole the nomination- we will not forget that.

August 3, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  22. Sheople for Obama

What a piece of work this sham of a man is.

The professional politician.

And he fooled the sheep into believing he was a clean, above it all, positive, hopeful man of change.

They fell for the wolf in sheep's clothing.

Now the master manipulator spins for a win, again.

August 3, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  23. Hitler youth for Obama

When will this guy quit.

Every move, every word, every action proves he is NOT what he claims to be.

Rev Wright knew Obama ALL to well... he will do what he has to do as a politician.

I guess that means cheat, lie and steal.

August 3, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  24. SZ

Oh dear. Getting desperate, are we?

August 3, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  25. done with the dems

You know in four years, just like 8 years ago I am afraid I will be telling co workers etc I told you so! This guy is the ultimate flip flopper if I ever saw one. I dont like Mc Cain but no way can I vote for this guy. He hasnt stuck to any position. Michigan and Florida voters should vote with their hearts. I am still voting for Hilary, and all my fellow Hilary primary voters here in the state of Florida are too. I am done with Pelosi and Dean etc. This election process was soooo flawed and I am tired of my vote not counting. So it will be counted this time, but against this horrible process.

August 3, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |