August 3rd, 2008

Obama calls for giving 'full vote' to Michigan, Florida delegates

Sen. Barack Obama said Sunday that Michigan and Florida delegates should get a full vote.

(CNN) - Sen. Barack Obama said Sunday that the delegates from Florida and Michigan should get a “full vote” at the Democratic convention this month.

“I believe party unity calls for the delegates from Florida and Michigan to be able to participate fully alongside the delegates from the other states and territories,” he said in a letter to the co-chairs of the Democratic National Convention’s Credentials Committee.

Obama asked the committee to pass a resolution when it meets on August 24 to give each delegate a full vote.

Florida and Michigan were stripped of their delegates as a penalty for holding their primaries too early. During the primary season, there were growing calls to seat the delegations as Obama and Sen. Hillary Clinton were locked in a tight race for their party’s nomination. Obama and Clinton were about 100 delegates apart in March, and Florida and Michigan's cache of 366 delegates had the potential to shake up the race.

The battle over the states’ delegates became a key issue on the campaign trail. Clinton had long advocated for seating both states’ delegations. She won both primaries, but the Democratic candidates had agreed to not campaign in the two states and she was the only top-tier candidate on the ballot in Michigan.

Clinton’s message that “every vote should count” became a key theme in her stump speeches. She accused Obama of being "un-American" for not backing plans to hold a revote in the two states.

The Illinois senator denied claims that he was standing in the way of revotes.

"I want the Michigan delegation and the Florida delegation to be seated. And however the Democratic National Committee determines we can get that done, I'm happy to abide by those rules," he told CNN in March.

After months of wrangling over what to do, the DNC’s rules and bylaws committee voted in late May to reinstate all of Florida and Michigan's delegates, with each getting a half-vote.

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Deli

the funny thing is, 99% of Americans have a super short memory and attention pan. THis is pan over like everything else.

August 3, 2008 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  2. Beverly,NYC

Leave them with their half a vote. They should be adults and live with the consequences of their actions. What's to stop other states from moving their dates when they please if they know they can whine and get full votes back. Don't pander to theses republicans states. The nonimation is won.

August 3, 2008 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  3. J..AZ

Obama didn't hire lawyers. He is a Lawyer..

August 3, 2008 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  4. gary

NOW THAT HILLARY ISN'T IN THE RACE OBAMA WANTS FULL VOTES. WHAT A BIG JOKE HE IS.OBAMA WANTS .WHO DOES HE THINK HE IS. I HOPE EVERYTHING BACKFIRES IN HIS FACE. AMERICA GETS WHAT THEY ASK FOR.

August 3, 2008 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  5. Kevin

What a piece of work! If Obama truly cared he would have agreed to a revote during the primaries. Several organizations offered to pay for it. But he might have lost votes then wouldn't he. And why does he alaways release some change of position on a saturday or Sunday? This man needs to be sent back to Chicago. I call for Hillary's name to be put in nomination and let's havea vote and see what happens!!! This is a Democracy!!!

August 3, 2008 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  6. June

Gosh what a traitor, what a flip flop, what an insensitive selfish man,Barack Hussein Obama will do anything to be president of the U.S. he thinks we are all idiots, no ,no, some of us have a brain, unlike others, I am a dem from Florida and we can see through this man, he just wants to make history for himself ,(first black man to be president of the United States) he is so full of himself, he runs up on the stage before every speech like a rock star, he is just a smooth talker, he cannot do anything for this country, he will not sign for the oil drilling,he disagrees on the gas tax break for us, there you can see he is not for the people in America, I think he cares only for the Muslim countries, he cannot be trusted, people wake up and smell the coffee.

August 3, 2008 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  7. Rob indetroit

The reason the repub's are always beating the dem's is because we take our eye's off the prize, case in point all those so called HRC supporter's need to Quit Barking at Obama and get behind him because he will fight for your issues unlike sen MCbush who will do damage to the womens movement, so in closing if and only if you care about your rights then you will back Obama, if not then you really don't care about womens right's.

August 3, 2008 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  8. J. Weidenbach, Germany

I guess Kristi Keck forgot to mention that Senator Obama was not even on the Michigan ballot during the primaries, he had followed the DNC rules.

August 3, 2008 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  9. The Independent One

you know, I hate to agree with the hillaryites but Obama has been screwing up over and over again. He ran a brilliant primary, but he's falling apart at the seams with this general election. he is flopping way too much. I have run out of defense for him. The only thing keeping me voting for him is that McCain would be an absolute disaster. WILL A THIRD PARTY CANDIDATE PLEASE STAND UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 3, 2008 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  10. Phantom of the Oprah

Even though it is breaking the rules- Obama is willing to unify the party.

What a darling... Obama changes his mind NOW that it doesn't matter.

He must think ALL democrats are as unsophisticated as the newbies he inspired to join the party, vote for the first time and could stir up to such vitriolic hate.

We are not.

Some of us voted for the BEST Candidate. Not all of us will capitulate just to save the party.

Democrats need to regain my vote by eliminating their corruption.

August 3, 2008 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  11. banderson

I made this comment early in March that it was inconceivable to me that the DNC would strip Florida and Michigan of their delegates because they moved their respective primaries up. I do agree with most of the comments posted on this page that Senator Obama's campaign used the rules against Senator Clinton, however I also suggest the alternative is not very appealing.

August 3, 2008 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  12. The truth

The most sneaky oil man. He always positions himself to something that benefits him, not the country. Very dangerous.

August 3, 2008 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  13. Shasta

What is he thinking, coming out with this now? This could not have been done in a dumber way. Christ.

August 3, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  14. interesting

Now he is interested in restoring the full votes only b/c the polls show him loosing or in a dead heat in MI and FL.

August 3, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  15. Nathan in Charlotte, NC

I was really unsure about my vote this November...as a life-long Democrat, should I vote Obama, even though I had some doubts? Should I not vote, and give up my right so at least I would not be a part of electing either one of these candidates? Should I vote McCain, and abandon my party?

I had pretty much decided to either vote for Obama or not vote at all...now it looks like, after this obviously disingenuous ploy, my choices are instead to not vote or vote for McCain...and I am honestly leaning toward the latter, to help prevent this sham of a Democratic candidate from getting in office, and back-tracking on every other statement he has made during his campaign.

At least then, I am voting for the evil I know.

August 3, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  16. Tully

What? Give the delegates of Michigan and Florida their "full vote" now
    ? It looks like Obama is getting nervous since the polls show that Mac Cain is catching up slowly but steadily. I am a long time Democrat and hate to say that the Democrats in government are not very smart.

August 3, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  17. Manuel TX

Wow.

This is a joke right?

Unbelievable. Obama and his campaign fought tooth and nail to prevent the delegates from FL and MI from being seated during the primaries.

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

August 3, 2008 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  18. je suis canadian

Is this guy out to dig his own political grave or something? I get where he's coming from, and it's an honorable position. But the more exposure he gets the more he seems to come across as just another pandering two-faced politician. It's almost like there's a disconnect between his message and his actions. And he hasn't even gotten past the convention yet.

August 3, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  19. norml

cnn sux.wont post comments!

August 3, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  20. lisaque

Half vote full vote I still wont vote for you.

YES WE CAN AND WE WILL VOTE NOBAMA

August 3, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  21. Veneer is gone

I thought you bragged that you were a uniter and that you could win Hill's folks back... but not the other way around.

You manipulated our being willing to vote for you once- and gutted HRC with it, but you will not manipulate us twice. TRUTH is... we are no longer willing to EVER vote for you.

I voted against BUSH twice... Now I would take his sincere, open political sleaze over your carefully hidden, disguised sleaze any day.

August 3, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  22. James Smith

Now, he wants them counted. Now that the DNC shoved Hilliary under the bus. What a clod. He probably just cost himself every Hillary voter he was going to get. He impresses me less.

August 3, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  23. bk

How stupid does Obama think the people from Florida and Michigan are? We voted for Clinton not Obama. He didn't want a revote because he knew he would lose. Suppressing votes is the worst thing Obama could have done. Now he wants us to vote for him? Obama you are a fool!

August 3, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  24. LT, Cumming, GA

And another flip flopping from the agent of change.
    Obama changes every 5 minutes, I guess that what he meant by the change we need!!!
    Stop the insanity, he will do the same if he is elected, and we'll be sorry for another 4 years at best.

August 3, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  25. He smiles nice when he lies to us white folks.

The imploding gets better every day.

Someone muzzle this liar.

He has ALREADY cost democrats the election.

A FULL BLOWN REVOLUTION FOR HILLARY IS COMING SOON