August 3rd, 2008

Pelosi offers Veep support for House darkhorse

Nancy Pelosi had lots of praise for Rep. Chet Edwards of Texas.
Nancy Pelosi had lots of praise for Rep. Chet Edwards of Texas.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Plenty of high profile names are getting bounced around as Barack Obama’s potential running mate. But Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi may have a lesser-known candidate in mind.

Newsweek and other publications say Pelosi has been lobbying for Rep. Chet Edwards (D – Texas). The 56-year-old Edwards is a 9-term congressman representing a district in central Texas that includes President Bush’s ranch in Crawford.

In an interview Sunday, Pelosi said, “I didn't want to see a discussion of candidates for vice president without showing the House of Representatives… I just wanted people to be aware of the extraordinary credentials of Chet Edwards. And I hope he will be the nominee.”

Pelosi told ABC’s "This Week" that “for years, our colleagues have said to him, why don't you run for president? He is an extraordinarily talented person. He is a champion for veterans in the Congress. Under his leadership, we have passed, including just on Friday, the biggest increase in funding for veterans' health benefits and other benefits in the history of our country. “

Pelosi called him “talented:” and “principled.” Asked if she believed Edwards, not a household name around the country, had a chance to be picked, she said, “Well, I would certainly hope so. But, you know what? Senator Dodd, Senator Biden, Senator Hillary Clinton - there's such a great array of people from whom Senator Obama can choose. So, anyone of them, I'm fine with."

1. Peggy Lucas

I agree with justsaynodeal.com. Nancy Pelosi is no friend of women or the Democrats. When Pelosi became Speaker I was so proud to be a women. Now I am embarrased. Because of her, Ted Kennedy, Howard Dean, Bob Casey and I could go on and on, Hillary is not our nominee. This was to be our year – the first women President. Unfortunately, we found out, this is still a mans world. Our only hope is Clinton '12!

August 3, 2008 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  2. Willy

As Nancy has screwed up Congress with her style I'd say yea, take her pick to the bank Obama

August 3, 2008 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  3. Anonymous

impeach Polosi, has done nothing, only screw up the Democratic Party

August 3, 2008 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  4. ENE M DIAZ

IT IS HYPOCRISY.///

August 3, 2008 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  5. Bucky Goldman

to justsaynodeal

Contriubute to Cindy Sheehan's primary run and maybe Piglosi will lose her seat. ;)

August 3, 2008 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  6. Rob indetroit

MCbush is a liar.

August 3, 2008 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  7. Michael in Little Rock

Great, so for the Democratic VP she's promoting a DINO who voted with the Repukes on many of the controversial bills recently (new FISA bill, etc. Well, so did Obama for that matter... ugh). What else would you expect from a Dem who can manage to hold on to his seat in a very conservative part of Texas, though? He's sure not going to be a progressive or liberal. Nope, he's definitely a DINO, which is not what I'm interested in voting for.

I didn't think it was possible for me to think any less of Pelosi than I already did, but after looking up Chet Edwards's voting record, I do. Get that idiotic woman out of a position of power already. I'd so love to see Cindy Sheehan take her seat. Go Cindy!!

August 3, 2008 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  8. William

If not Hillary, I won't care if the republicans take it again.

August 3, 2008 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  9. Rob indetroit

Dem's need to stop letting repub's push them around.

August 3, 2008 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  10. Jack CArlson

Pelosi is such a liar you would think she'd hide from the public; not to speak of a dumb "you now what".
    Jack C
    Portland OR

August 3, 2008 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  11. FedUP

She also came to Detroit o support Cheeks-Kilpatrick. What does that tell you????

August 3, 2008 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  12. Chris in VA

Why in the world Democrats stick by this complete incompetent is beyond me. As a convervative, I'm glad her agenda has been a complete failure, but if i were a liberal I would be foaming at the mouth at her.

August 3, 2008 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  13. diane

All I have to say is whomever Nancy Pelosi wants is who I DON'T want. The first thing on the agenda should be to get rid of this woman! She is one top reason why many of us no longer want to be called Democrats. We prefer to be independent.

August 3, 2008 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  14. Jody Monroe

Chet Edwards sounds like a great counter-weight for Obama, I'd like to know more about him.

CNN, can you please post more info about Chet Edwards? Thank you.

August 3, 2008 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  15. sue

nancy,
    You have truly kidnapped the democratic party. Not only did you force the nominee who can't carry the day, but now you want him to pick a VP who will not be helpful to ticket. Go away

August 3, 2008 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  16. Don R. Serina, Brentwood, Tennessee

I am a republican. BUT, if I would have voted or supported any Democratic candidate it would have been Hillary. Did I like Bill, No. But was he president for 8 years? Was Hillary around? Is Hillary Dumb? NO. She's smart, she's energetic, she's commited. She has a platform and an opinion.

And if anybody can help Obama get to the White House it's Hillary.

Why isn't Hillary mentioned or even being considered. Without her Obama will lose. It will be a close race but a President cannot represent one segment or even just a few segments of America. The president and his ticket, in this ever expanding world, must be a president of ALL the people.

August 3, 2008 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  17. Agnes

Hope, I have hope just not the audacity to blindly hope. We need more than words; we need someone who knows how to do the work. What work has Sen. Obama done? Sen. Clinton has 30 plus years of real civil rights leadership, actual gains that has allowed the disadvantaged to have a voice and that has allowed for this very discussion of Sen. Obama’s candidacy. What has Sen. Obama done for America? Local community outreach and state senatorial voting record of present are not enough to say he is experienced. And as the chairman of the Subcommittee on European Affairs with jurisdiction over NATO’s operations, he didn’t call a meeting in two years, two years! Is this how we can expect him to execute his office? It is the Executive branch not the legislative branch I’m concerned with- as the President is the top executor of the country.

Change, what change and by whom? I want change, truly I do, but how will that change come and by which path? Since Sen. Obama was instilled as the DNC’s puppet over the people’s choice, can anyone tell me what the change will be? (Say what you must but Tammany Hall is live and well in Chicago and in the DNC; it’s been lurking, waiting to raise it’s ugly head since FDR.) Is this an example of the type of administration we could expect from Sen. Obama? Strong arm tactics. What a glorious way to capture the nomination. It's not about the journey but about the end results.... RIGHT? Will this be our legacy to the future?

How exactly will Sen. Obama approach the issues facing our great nation? Let’s face the fact that his experience – community outreach and a state senatorial voting record of "Present," does not qualify him for the office of the President of the United States of America – one in which the new President will face the effects of global warming, war, commodities shortages- everything from fresh water and oil to wheat, economic "downturn" and health issues ranging from rogue viruses to tainted food/products. Many of these issues span an international spectrum. Where exactly does Sen. Obama exhibit the experience to effectively deal with these issues? (Who do you want performing your open heart surgery, the professor or the surgeon?) It takes more than being able to talk about how something is supposed to act, (anyone who has just come out of college to start a new job can attest to that;) it takes the experience of actually doing the work. We need change and we need proven leadership – on day one. In my opinion the only person who has the qualifications to effectively handle all the issues facing our nation is Hillary Clinton. This is the reason so many of her campaign advisors are now working with Obama, because he knows Hillary was the true candidate of change. In my opinion the only person who has the qualifications to effectively handle all the issues facing our nation is Hillary Clinton. Barack as Chief Executive?… never. This 30 year democrat will write in Hillary for president and not Obama, no matter who his running mate. I found him lacking and still do.
    Nobama!

August 3, 2008 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  18. Sissy

justsaynodeal.com- How do you expect Hillary to win in 2012 when you are not voting for Obama 2008?-

Do really think Obama supporter will give Hillary a chance when it comes back around....

Its a shame another 4years of Bush because of hate.

August 3, 2008 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  19. Sissy

Its a shame another 4years of Bush because of hate.!

August 3, 2008 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  20. Kenny, Niles Illinois

It seems like it is getting harder for Obama to pick a VP when the head of his party starts mentioning names. Can't we stop that VP blah- blah and let Obama or his staff pick someone that can help him defeat McCain in November. The country cannot afford another Bush/McCain. Let's do everything that's in our power to bring change because the country is in bad shape ever since Bush took power.

August 3, 2008 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  21. No Longer a Democrat

Why would we trust Pelosi? She ran out on the country when the GOP wanted to vote on an energy package and pulled her disappearing stunt with the democrats last week. She basically abandoned working americans while she went on vacation - something I cannot afford.

She continually influenced the primaries and has publicly called Obama the "annointed one"..... She has used force in pressuring Democrats to vote for who she wants.

She and Dean have totally screwed up the Democratic Party.

She has led Congress to it's lowest approval rating in history.

She and the Democrats are busy working on an "apology for slavery and reparations" for African Americans.

We know where her priorities are...........

Let's get to reality and face the issues of today - the economy, energy, and war........Something IMPORTANT and vital to ALL americans and for future survival.

My 32 year old (Republican) son has been saying for years that Pelosi is a nut ......

She has caused me to make history -- agreeing with my son.

I am now going Republican and want nothing to do with anyone who aligns with Pelosi.

August 3, 2008 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  22. Marc PDX

Nancy Do-nothing is always to speak her mind. I'm not an Obama supporter but it seems to me that the choice of VP is his business, not Pelosi's. Doesn't she think he can pick his own running mate? And if she really had a hot tip wouldn't it be better to speak to Obama in private to make a recommendation – rather than taking it directly to the press?

With friends like her...

August 3, 2008 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  23. Patrice

She is he biggest loser in the democratic party, She should have stand behind the unique women candidate for the party'S nominee....she is like all the other, sold out! and who know maybe worst ............I only wish she loses her seat......

August 3, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  24. Jesd

"McCain '08 for Clinton '12" = PATHETIC!

August 3, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  25. SUE

MCcain 08,,polosi you have done enough harm to our party,,you should tuck your tail and go back where you came from..If Obama looses this race you will be part of the reason..You are a flipfloper,,first you say no to Hillary now you say yes because you thank you may loose ,open your eyes and see what a mess you have help to make..It time you and some of the rest of the old heads should be thrown out and some new one put in..it makes me sick to my stomach to see what you have done to our party and country

August 3, 2008 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |