August 3rd, 2008

Pelosi offers Veep support for House darkhorse

Nancy Pelosi had lots of praise for Rep. Chet Edwards of Texas.
Nancy Pelosi had lots of praise for Rep. Chet Edwards of Texas.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Plenty of high profile names are getting bounced around as Barack Obama’s potential running mate. But Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi may have a lesser-known candidate in mind.

Newsweek and other publications say Pelosi has been lobbying for Rep. Chet Edwards (D – Texas). The 56-year-old Edwards is a 9-term congressman representing a district in central Texas that includes President Bush’s ranch in Crawford.

In an interview Sunday, Pelosi said, “I didn't want to see a discussion of candidates for vice president without showing the House of Representatives… I just wanted people to be aware of the extraordinary credentials of Chet Edwards. And I hope he will be the nominee.”

Pelosi told ABC’s "This Week" that “for years, our colleagues have said to him, why don't you run for president? He is an extraordinarily talented person. He is a champion for veterans in the Congress. Under his leadership, we have passed, including just on Friday, the biggest increase in funding for veterans' health benefits and other benefits in the history of our country. “

Pelosi called him “talented:” and “principled.” Asked if she believed Edwards, not a household name around the country, had a chance to be picked, she said, “Well, I would certainly hope so. But, you know what? Senator Dodd, Senator Biden, Senator Hillary Clinton - there's such a great array of people from whom Senator Obama can choose. So, anyone of them, I'm fine with."

1. Phantom of the Oprah

Pelosi helped install the demogogue that has destroyed the democratic party and lost the GE for us democrats.

Thanks, Pelosi

August 3, 2008 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  2. independent

oh, now she's fine with hillary after it's all but certain he won't pick her. thanks nancy.

August 3, 2008 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  3. JB

Speaker Pelosi-

No one I know gets as many vacation days as you and your flunkys. With the country in turmoil, nothing going well. . . . GET BACK TO WORK!!! 5 weeks of vacation, you've got to be kidding me. The Republicans will go back if you ask them. The ball is in your court. But I can guarantee you, you are winning no brownie points going on vacation without addressing the energy issue etc. . . .

August 3, 2008 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  4. Denise Groves

Pelosi needs to stay out of it

August 3, 2008 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  5. JimS.

NOW you say you're fine with Hillary Clinton? OK, now you're back on my list.....you should have quit with "Bush has been a total failure".

August 3, 2008 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  6. Gerry in Virginia

Yes, I'm sure Ms Pelosi would like to stick her nose into Mr. Obamas business and try to tell him who to take as his Vice President. Yes, she would like it to be a Texan with ties to W. Yes, she has tried every way in the book to keep W from being helt accountable for the war crimes and crimes against the people of the United States he and his cohorts have perpetuated . Yes I'm sure she thinks this Texan would help her hold off the REAL Democrats from impeaching the lying, no good lout who calls himself "President" . Yes, she thinks she runs the world just as most Republicans in Democrats cloths does but, guess what Ms. Pelosi, the emporer has NEW cloths now and we the REAL Democrats have seen through your cloak and found a dagger under it... Keep your Republican leaning mouth shut. No one wants your opinion on whom should be the real Democrats V.P. least of all Mr. Obama, whom I'm sure already has a real Democrat/logical thinking person in mind...

August 3, 2008 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  7. Willow, from Iowa

I just wrote a polite comment, no cursing, no slander, and it was taken out. I wonder who moderates these things?

Pelosi is good to be bringing up every potential candidate for VP. We have a lot of wonderful people in office, in spite of the problem we have with some of them not doing anything for anyone but special interest. they should be vetting everyone with potential. We need someone to back up the "change" candidate. Someone who can help him achieve these goals we have.

August 3, 2008 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  8. gfm975

CHET EDWARDS is principled? Wow, Nancy Pelosi is so out of touch it hurts. This man is owned and operated by the King Ranch in Texas... in other words, Big Oil...

I know him personally and though he is charming and appears to be a nice guy, he doesn't go to the bathroom before asking the KING RANCH for permission. He is an Exxon man through and through... and this is her majesty's personal pick? Well, so much for her judgment.

Oh yeah, and impeach is off the table for Bush and Cheney, but what about Pelosi?

August 3, 2008 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  9. Gerry in Virginia

CNN STOP MODERATING MY COMMENTS .... I BELIEVE I SPEAK VERY CLEARLY AND SPELL CORRECTLY ENOUGH TO HAVE SOMETHING PRINTED IN YOUR COMMENT SECTIONS.... OR DO I NOT LEAN TO THE POLITICAL SIDE YOU WANT ME TO?????

August 3, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  10. Judy, NY

The math is simple--don't pick Hillary and you lose 25% of her 18 million supporters--and these are people who always vote-
    it's actually worse than 25% because many will vote for McCain–like me.

August 3, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  11. Indiana Bob

Maybe Pelosi should actually try to accomplish something as Speaker of the House. She already submarined Hillary's campaign, and we will not soon forget it. We can only hope that she is successful in destroying the Obama campaign before his lack of experience destroys the country.

PUMA - Vote for the best candidate, not the Party - Vote McCain

August 3, 2008 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  12. Carl from MI

Finally... someone who's ACTUALLY a champion for Vets in Congress. McCain may BE a Vet... but his voting record shows he definately doesn't take care of them in Congress. All the Vet's organizations know this too and give him lousy scores when rating him.

Wouldn't that be a pretty sight... all the Vet's organizations supporting Obama instead of McCain? McCain deserves to be abandoned by the Vet's based on his voting record alone. He's EARNED it!!

August 3, 2008 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  13. obama is unfit to be president of this country

"just last Friday" .................you are such a liar. You give new meaning to the word t!ash. Who do you think you're kidding.

August 3, 2008 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  14. jimmy velman

PELOSI , GO HOME.

August 3, 2008 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  15. Sean from Orlando

If Obama does not pick Clinton tons of people here in FL, MI, and all over the country are going to vote for McCain and then Obama will lose. I am many people I know in FL who had their votes stolen from them will not vote for Obama without Clinton on the ticket and the race is so close he cannot win with a large number of Dems in various states voting against him.

August 3, 2008 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  16. The Obvious Choice

And SenObama will make the right choice.He aways does!
    Just like he is right to not have Billary on the ticket! Her kind of politics is not what Obama is about besides Bill wont know his place!
    NO to Empty Suit McCain who's so called 'Experience' didn't tell him that his gas tax holiday was a Terrible Idea!
    YES to Obama who has better judgment better understanding of the issues we face today!
    Obama 08/12

August 3, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  17. michael aslala

WE NEED CHANGE IN THE WHITE HOUSE!!!!!! UNIVERSITY OF FLORIDA FOR OBAMA!!!

August 3, 2008 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  18. Timber (ex dem)

LOL, I would not be asking Pelosi for advice on anything considering the high disapproval rating of her congress and the poor way in which she handled the primary debacle. I was excited when she was named House speaker but unfortunately she has done a poor job and the first woman Speaker will go down in history as one of the worst. She has lost all credibility.

August 3, 2008 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  19. The Nightingale Sings in Berkley Square

WITH "HIS EXPECTANCY" IS ALWAYS, "c'est moi, moi et moi.

Give me a break

He is too foreign, too risky, too different, and has a funny name. In his own words. (Obama is not the one)

Let's go to McCain. He is a patriotic, he loves our flag and our democracy. Elect him and he will protect our values.

August 3, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  20. Carmichael Beljackson

Who is Chet Edwards? I have gotten to know other VPs for Obama and I'm just getting to know this guy.But if he can get Texas for Obama
    then He should go for Him.
    Carmike,
    Detroit,MI.

August 3, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  21. Mike in Seattle

An endorsement by Nancy Pelosi is the kiss of death. The woman is nuts so anything she says can be taken with a grain of salt. Too bad she doesn't stay in San Francisco with the rest of the nuts!

August 3, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  22. ALECO1 -----NOKOMIS,FL

IF THE AMERICAN VOTERS SHOULD BE DUMB ENOUGH TO ELECT JOHN McCAIN OUR PRESIDENT-–THE NATIONAL DEBT WOULD SKY ROCKET TO 15 TRILLION DURNING HIS FIRST TERM AND IT WOULD GO TO 25 TRILLION IF HE WERE ELECTED TO A SECOND TERM.
    AT THAT POINT, CHINA WOULD OWN AMERICA..

I THINK I WILL VOTE FOR OBAMA, AND I THINK YOU SHOULD TOO.

August 3, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  23. Scott, West Chester, OH

I take what Pelosi says with a grain of salt. She has a political tin ear and a lousy record as Speaker of the House.

Obama needs Joe Biden as his running mate because Obama lacks any foreign policy or national security experience. I know being a community organizer is great preparation for dealing with a worldwide terror network like al Qaeda, but Biden would fill in a HUGE hole in Obama's resume.

OBAMA-BIDEN 2008

August 3, 2008 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  24. Charlotte

Do you job and keep your mouth shut.

August 3, 2008 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  25. Erdy

I have told you before, time and time again that this Muslim senator is not fit to became President.

I prepare to vote for Mc Cain, He will be the best for the Presidency.

August 3, 2008 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |