August 3rd, 2008

Pelosi offers Veep support for House darkhorse

Nancy Pelosi had lots of praise for Rep. Chet Edwards of Texas.
Nancy Pelosi had lots of praise for Rep. Chet Edwards of Texas.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Plenty of high profile names are getting bounced around as Barack Obama’s potential running mate. But Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi may have a lesser-known candidate in mind.

Newsweek and other publications say Pelosi has been lobbying for Rep. Chet Edwards (D – Texas). The 56-year-old Edwards is a 9-term congressman representing a district in central Texas that includes President Bush’s ranch in Crawford.

In an interview Sunday, Pelosi said, “I didn't want to see a discussion of candidates for vice president without showing the House of Representatives… I just wanted people to be aware of the extraordinary credentials of Chet Edwards. And I hope he will be the nominee.”

Pelosi told ABC’s "This Week" that “for years, our colleagues have said to him, why don't you run for president? He is an extraordinarily talented person. He is a champion for veterans in the Congress. Under his leadership, we have passed, including just on Friday, the biggest increase in funding for veterans' health benefits and other benefits in the history of our country. “

Pelosi called him “talented:” and “principled.” Asked if she believed Edwards, not a household name around the country, had a chance to be picked, she said, “Well, I would certainly hope so. But, you know what? Senator Dodd, Senator Biden, Senator Hillary Clinton - there's such a great array of people from whom Senator Obama can choose. So, anyone of them, I'm fine with."

1. mel

Kathleen sebelius should be vp or chet Edwards and Kaine.
    Secty of state Pelosi and Hillary replace her as speaker. Wesley
    clark secty of defense.

August 3, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  2. bk

Pelosi and the DNC don't deserve to win after installing Obama and pushing an inexperienced empty suit down the throats of the american people. We will speak in November. There is no caucauses to bully people and call them racist. Its just you and the voting boothe.

August 3, 2008 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  3. done with the dems

Nancy Pelosi s opinion should not even be concidered after what she and howard dean have put this party through.

August 3, 2008 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  4. Jan

This woman looks as if she is having a neurotic fallout! At the very least, she is distraught because her "selected candidate" is bruised and on the way to defeat! You can never underestimate the intelligence of Americans. I hope and pray that McCain will continue to lead and win. Media, Hollywood, and the democrats are running in circles trying to figure out WHY Obama is not winning–and trailing downward. It looks good on them as they learn that they are unable to throw the election in their favor.

August 3, 2008 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  5. Jay

And what have you done Mrs Pelosi? I do wander about u alot of times, thats when I have nothing else to do with my self.
    Have u ever considered sitting in the sidelines and just being a part of the crowd. You want to be heard n u do such a terrible job

August 3, 2008 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  6. Larry Buchas

She was never fine with Hillary. Now she is?

I would strongly recommend Barack to choose Hillary. Republicans are not voting for him anyway. Maybe they deserve Hillary after what they have done the past 8 years?

August 3, 2008 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  7. Franky

Nancy........maybe if you wouldv'e been the Democratic nominee then you would have picked him but since you're not, then why bother? No offense Nancy but when you guys(Dems) left at Congress, let's just say that I think at least you guys(Dems) wouldv'e done it more accordingly and respectfully. You know how crazy and anxious this country has been the last couple of months. The best you and your peeps couldv'e done is make a some kind of statement or something. You know, what politicians do best...or more likely what they don't do...

As for the Reps staying there, let's just say that there only hope was doing something good for the country. No offense to the GOP but if a TRUE Republican wanted to do this, then they wouldv'e started this 1 year ago. The fact that you are focusing your attention to your perception and agenda when an important election coming up makes me realize how much you cared about our country the last couple of years. Not to mention the aftermath as well. But you know what? You guys are as fractured as the Dems, trust me I got evidence. In some way, you can thank yourselves for what our country has become these last 8 years...

But you know what? The Dems are so dumb there waiting for what my boy wants to do, the GOP are so slow there still thinking about Ronald Reagan...........yep, that's our counry, LOL!!!

August 3, 2008 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  8. Mad

Yes leave it to Pelosi to pick a VP pick that was totally useless-
    Not many people actually KNOW this guy and the people who do -aren't really that crazy about him

He won't bring in much

Obama should just stick to the Virginia guy so that he spends all his money there and then crashes and burns when he finds out people actually like issues!

August 3, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  9. JustSayNoDeal.com

SHUT UP you LOSER!!! You are disgraceful. Go away.
    I hope you are unseated in the short term and hope you will be eating out of Hillary's hands.

McCain '08 for Clinton '12

August 3, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  10. R

I don't think he'll pick Hillary. I don't know anything about the guy he mentioned. I'll do my research some day.

August 3, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  11. Yes We Can!

As a Texan and living in Dallas, I would love this! Thanks Nancy, keep whispering it to Obama.

Barack Obama/Chet Edwards 08

August 3, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  12. John G

So she won't schedule a vote on offshore drilling until after a 5 week vacation but she can take the time to plug a member of the House of Representatives for VP?

It is wonderful to see where Congresswoman Pelosi's priorities are.

August 3, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  13. David Newport, OR

This is a stupid suggestion. The VP needs to help win one of the highly contested states of Ohio, Michigan, or Virginia. McCain's VP will be from here. McCain has this election locked up unless Obama can change the minds of the people in these states. They are MUST win. No winning in those states, he can have all the votes he want to, he will not take the White House. Look at the Electoral College map...you do the math.

August 3, 2008 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  14. Steve Senger

Pelosi, needs to keep her yap shut until she knows what she is talking about. This is the same woman who shutdown congressional meetings while the Republicans were trying to talk about how to lower oil and gas prices. She is the most irresponsible and wasteful politician in Washington.

August 3, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  15. FYI !!!!!!

We need someone to take Nancy Place........Namely Hillary Clinton

August 3, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  16. jFA

This is definitely thinking 'outside the box'. Go on progress - democritize. Up from dark and consuming cynicism, shine with constructive and healthy skepticism. To hearty and enduring citizenship.

August 3, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  17. bill for barack

'Dark horse' ?
    Can't we keep race out of this ?

August 3, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  18. Psbro

Does ANYBODY really care what Pelosi thinks????????????
    Her numbers are lower than Bush's. Way to go Nancy.

August 3, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  19. aware

Stay out of it Pelosi!

You have zero credibility! :(

August 3, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  20. OSEKI EVANS, Norway

NICE TO HAVE ENGAGED CITIZENS ON THE ISSUES

August 3, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  21. sandy

I wouldn't want anyone on the ticket that Pelosi endorses. I am a life long democrat and a woman, but this woman is something else. Unfortunately, this country waited a long time for a woman speaker of the house and unfortunately, we got her. Unfortunately for the rest of us women,she will probably go down in history as the worst Speaker of the House.

August 3, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  22. Ann Wright

John McCain gives credit to George Bush for the price of oil going down? It shouldn't have been allowed to get that high in the first place.

Why all of a sudden Bush is trying to do ything to ease the pain, people have suffered? I could care less what he does now, he won't be getting any sympathy from me. This Country is in Recession. Who Caused That? And why should the Riches Country in the world be losing everything they have or had?

President Bush had eight years to correct his wrongs.

He is doing a lot of these things to get McCain elected into office, and then it will be the same thing alll over.

Listen up Americans, don't be fooled.

Later for that man, it's too late!

August 3, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  23. Critical View

Pelosi is a strange person. Many people who hesitate to support Orbama will be turned away from him further because of Pelosi's involvement.

August 3, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  24. LeMonton

McCain gave us the ad "The One". In response, I dedicate to McCain the Metallica song "One".

I can't remember anything
    can't tell if this is true or dream
    deep down inside I feel to scream
    this terrible silence stops me

now that the war is through with me
    I'm waking up, I cannot see
    that there's not much left of me
    nothing is real but pain now

hold my breath as I wish for death
    oh please God, wake me

back in the womb it's much too real
    in pumps life that I must feel
    but can't look forward to reveal
    look to the time when I'll live

fed through the tube that sticks in me
    just like a wartime novelty
    tied to machines that make me be
    cut this life off from me

hold my breath as I wish for death
    oh please God, wake me

now the world is gone I'm just one
    oh God, help me hold my breath as I wish for death

darkness imprisoning me
    all that I see
    absolute horror
    I cannot live
    I cannot die
    trapped in myself
    body my holding cell

landmine has taken my sight
    taken my speech
    taken my hearing
    taken my arms
    taken my legs
    taken my soul
    left me with life in hell

August 3, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  25. Chipster

There is a "great array" of highly qualified Democrats for the VP position but Democrats need every vote in the Senate they can get to either help Obama if he wins or prevent more damage if McCain wins the election. Please don't take anyone out of the Senate!

Democrats and Republicans who are disenchanted with the direction we've been going, please vote for Democratic Senate and House candidates. We seriously need every vote to regain our national sanity.

August 3, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |