August 3rd, 2008

VP fever intensifies as conventions near

Virginia Gov. Tim Kaine could be in the running to be Barack Obama's VP.
Virginia Gov. Tim Kaine could be in the running to be Barack Obama's VP.

(CNN) - It happens once every four years: Political pundits, news junkies and water cooler crowds obsess over whom the presidential contenders will pick to be their No. 2.

sked by CNN's Howard Kurtz what drives the compulsion behind the "glorified guessing game," A. B. Stoddard, an associate editor at The Hill, said every journalist is hoping for a "James Bond moment" when he or she can be the one to expose the story.

That, she said, "obviously never happens."

"But it comes in a lull in the campaign - June and July. You know, the primary is over. It tends to get a little dull. Usually the negative ads ... haven't appeared yet, and so it's sort of a perfect time to begin the guessing game.

"It is their first presidential decision," she said on CNN's "Reliable Sources."

Roger Simon, chief political columnist for Politico.com, said another benefit of dangling names in front of the public is that the candidates can use the media to vet those in the running.

"If there's anything is some guy's closet ... some local reporter who has covered this person for eight or 12 or 16 years might know about and might it get out before the candidate has committed to an embarrassing choice," he said.

Before the 1980s, presidential candidates typically did not unveil their running mates until the convention, often on its very last day.

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. Ayse-London

Well since the negative ads have already started, and their are many serious issues going on in the world, perhaps it would be a huge anti-climax if either candidate revealed their VP selection just yet.

Would it honestly make you like or dislike a candidate based on their VP selection?

August 3, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  2. Dem08

Obama needs to pick Clinton..if not millions of democrats will stay home...We need this ticket to take back the White House.

August 3, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  3. Janet

I'm sure Obama will pick someone that will work well beside him.
    I trust his judgement!

August 3, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  4. Susan

Give it a rest will you???

August 3, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  5. seah

I feel sorry for the person Obama picks.

If anything goes wrong, they will be the one blamed.

If he loses, they will be the one blamed.

The Obama way has been to blame others for all things. He never ever accepts responsibilty for anything he does or any wrong he does.

I can wait to see who the dumb person is that accepts the position of being the fall guy for everything.

August 3, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  6. Proud American

Obama/ Whomever '08

August 3, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  7. Michael G- Ventura ca

Let me add mine--
    OBAMA/BIDEN 08!!!

August 3, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  8. Shane O'Sheeran

I am sure that the right attack machine and the McCain campiagn are working on digging up any dirt they can find on all the potential running mates for Obama as we speak, since no matter who they pick and what that person may say or represent, their campiagn has no winning message to give the public. They are going to lose anyway as the entire media is missing one thing, 55 million potential voters that are never polled because they use cell phones to communicate, and so can't be polled with about 90% of those being for Obama!!!

August 3, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  9. Willie Bryant

Maybe before the election is over some reporter will ask the question I want an answer to – As a Korean Veteran I want to know – What determines when the WAR IS WON? They say we will stay the course and win the war. Who decides this and when? I may not hear the question asked or answered on air so if possible e-mail me.

August 3, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  10. TN FOR OBAMA

O – Bama

O – 8

O – Yeah

O – Bama

August 3, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  11. linda from South Dakota

the mud-slingin should stop,, its time to get back the issues,,,, mccain,, grow up,,, your actin so childish,,, gettin your jolliews outt neg ads and jokes,,,, what a poor choice for a canidate

August 3, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  12. The Independent One

Obama needs to pick Hillary Clinton. If not Senator Clinton then definitely Mayor Michael Bloomberg. If Obama doesn't pick either of those two heavyweights then I think he might take a temporary dive in the polls. All in all however, I am quite sure Obama will indeed win this election. I think the publics respect for mccain is starting to plummet. But if America does the folley and chooses McCain, I will be out of this country by 2010.

August 3, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  13. videmocrat

I think that people are going to now vote based on vice presidents. Which is a big deal. I think alot of polices need to be changed. As for example superdelagets that was not in 2004 election. Whats up that they can change their minds and delegates cant? this election is messed up.

August 3, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  14. randy

It will make good sence if he him but let the strategy work on the point of obama wining the election.

August 3, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  15. BlackMan4Mac

Is Kaine girly too. He may be a chick like O-bambi, so now two girlymen together? What is happening to this country?

August 3, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  16. randy

i like govenor of veginia because of obama can trust him with everthing because he endorsed obama when things are not going to well with obama at the beging of the campaign.my openion is that the gov show on on good judgement.

August 3, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  17. lou

Biden or Clinton for Obama. He needs a good attack dog.

August 3, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  18. nick

videmocrat August 3rd, 2008 4:41 pm ET

-------------------------------–
    superdelegates were always there...they just never mattered until this year.

August 3, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  19. Jesse

It's a real shame the media is no longer counting in Hillary. 18 million people are still rooting for her.

August 3, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  20. Donkey Party

Cue the sissy boys / little girls club (aka PUMA) and fake Democrats that want to state their spiteful intention of voting for McAncient if Obama doesn't select Hillary as his running mate...

August 3, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  21. Joe

I voted for Obama in the primaries and lost a lot of respect for Clinton during that time with the negativity and all that, but putting all that biased thought out of my mind I would say that Clinton as Obama's VP choice would be a slam dunk for the Dems in November. I don't think Obama needs Clinton to win, but she would certainly guarantee a win for him.

August 3, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  22. The Obvious Choice

McCain secured his nomination several months ahead of Obama so why is its still to this day McCain has not selected a VP?
    It seems he is waiting on Obama to make his pick so he can then FOLLOW!
    By now McCain should have picked his VP just another instance of how McCain is NOT ready to Lead!
    Obama 08/12

August 3, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  23. Alice in Florida

I don't care WHO flip-flop flim-flam phoney lying race-card playing man Obama picks for VP

I will NEVER forget that he stole my vote when it would have counted

YES HE DID disenfranchize me – and I will remember come November

It's kinda hard to forget something like that!

August 3, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  24. Informed Voter

anyone who Obama chooses will be fine by me ....

Unlike the crowd i don't base my vote on VPs

August 3, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  25. Harvey in Va

This man is just like Obama, he will do anything for his own rewards. He was elected to serve as governor of Va not for VP..If he is on the ticket and elected the governorship will go to a republican. But does he care if Virginia has a republican governor oh NO as long as he sits behind the desk of VP...

PUMA