August 4th, 2008

Despite Pelosi plug, congressman shrugs off VP speculation

Nancy Pelosi and Chet Edwards held a news conference in June about funding for veterans.

(CNN) – Rep. Chet Edwards, who got a major plug as a potential VP contender Sunday from House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, shrugged off questions about a potential spot on the ticket Monday – but did not deny interest in the job, or the possibility that he might be on Barack Obama’s shortlist.

“I am deeply grateful to Speaker Pelosi for her gracious comments about me and my work in Congress in behalf of veterans and military families,” he said in a statement released by his office, adding that “Senator Obama has earned the right to manage his own vice presidential selection process, and out of respect to him, any questions about the process should be directed to the Obama campaign.”

In an interview Sunday, Pelosi said, “I didn't want to see a discussion of candidates for vice president without showing the House of Representatives… I just wanted people to be aware of the extraordinary credentials of Chet Edwards. And I hope he will be the nominee.”

Pelosi told ABC’s "This Week" that “for years, our colleagues have said to him, why don't you run for president? He is an extraordinarily talented person. He is a champion for veterans in the Congress. Under his leadership, we have passed, including just on Friday, the biggest increase in funding for veterans' health benefits and other benefits in the history of our country. “

Pelosi called him “talented” and “principled.” Asked if she believed Edwards, not a household name around the country, had a chance to be picked, she said, “Well, I would certainly hope so. But, you know what? Senator Dodd, Senator Biden, Senator Hillary Clinton — there's such a great array of people from whom Senator Obama can choose. So, anyone of them, I'm fine with."

Filed under: Nancy Pelosi
  1. Dj

Is this guy any kin to former Gov. Edwin Edwards?

August 4, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  2. Mike, TX

An endorsement from Pelosi is about as influential as an endorsement from Hugo Chavez.

August 4, 2008 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  3. peakarach,des moines,IA

PEOPLE,BARACK HUSSEIN OBAMA DID VOTE FOR BUSH AND CHENEY ENGERGY BILL BACK IN 2005. MCCAIN AND HILLARY DID NOT.

=====================
    MCCAIN 08!
    HILLARY 12!

August 4, 2008 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  4. Non-believer

Now Pelosi is something the American people can do without. One of the most worthless House Speakers in modern history.

August 4, 2008 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  5. Obama Supporter from Texas

I like Hillary but my hope of her being on the ticket vanished when Bill just stands on the sidelines moping.

Obama '08

August 4, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  6. Gramma Faye /Idaho

Look at that pic. She is almost drooling all over him. Now that is sick.

August 4, 2008 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  7. Lisa in TX

Chet Edwards is actually a nice, safe choice. Has been my Congressman here in central Texas for years and my Mom worked on his campaign for a number of years. I'd vote for him before I'd vote for Obama. :-)

August 4, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  8. NoMcSame(MrBurns)

Better than what McSame will choose from. Mitt. Obama is working while McGrumpy plays games. Soon it will be checkers with the rest of the old folks.
    Mitt my friend Obama doesn't think that he is the Messiah but your leader Joseph Smith did. He was a true racist and you live by his every word. Jesus is the way the truth and the life. You my friend are a follower of the dark side. Joseph Smith was the dishonest one if you ask me and those that follow him and his teachings are going to be cast into the FIRE. That is what the Holy Bible says. The only way to God is through the Son and Joseph Smith is not him and has never seen him or met him.
    So be careful when you call another the Messiah.

August 4, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  9. Obama the new Prez

When are you pathetic Hillary supporters going to get in your thick skulls that if Obama looses in '08, you can bet your sweet little undies that we'll be waiting for her arse in 2012 and we'll make sure that she doesn't get the nomination. The rethugs are using all of her twisted, gutless attacks against Obama, as we speak.

Obama will not tarnish his good names with at filthy person who has hatefull, crazy supporters. No more Bushies, Cheynies or Clintonites. A change is comming to Washington! Bow down to the new African America President!!!! Bow down, peasants, bow down!!

August 4, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  10. Peter

Thank goodness, Congressmen/Congresswomen cannot be VP or the president, not enough experience

August 4, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  11. Xango

please please universe lord, buddha, christ, and all the god images in this universe
    ANYONE ANYONE BU TTHE CLINTON MAFIA

August 4, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  12. Jesse - San Antonio TX

Forget about the VP Choice, it's time to re-evaluate the presidential choice.

August 4, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  13. Indiana Bob

Obama should have Rezko as his VP. After all, Rezko paid for Omama's senate seat. Then some of his political favors to Rezko would be paid.

Sen. Ted Stevens is being prosecuted for receiving gifts. Why isn't Obama being prosecuted for his underhanded real estate deal with Rezko (purchased estate for $300,000 below market value) and for Rezko personally paying for a $17,000 fence around the Obama mansion? Why is Obama above the law and political scrutiny? Oh, I forgot. If you prosecute Obama or report the truth, you will be labeled as a racist.

PUMA - Vote McCain

August 4, 2008 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  14. Chris In California

Who cares what Pelosi thinks or says anymore? I was so excited when she became Speaker, but she has done NOTHING she promised that I can see. And, she helped Barack Obama cheat in this election, in my opinion. I think she should do the right thing and step down. She and Dean and others have wreaked total havoc on our Party! We will never recover as a whole. We have total Party disunity and the leaders in the Party are responsible for that as is Barack Obama, himself, for having failed to do what was right for the Party and adhering to a self-serving arrogance in the face of 18 million Hillary Clinton supporters. He could have brought the Party together, but he has chosen not to, in my opinion.

August 4, 2008 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  15. David

Pelosi.....that's a joke, right?

August 4, 2008 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  16. BV

Take time to pick a good one Senator Obama. I'm betting on you all the way.
    The thought of Senator McCain representing this country as President sends me into a serious panic. I don't think that we could make a worse choice. I don't care how Republican you are this is not the man for the job. I had to come to see it and I hope that many more of you will before it's too late.
    Let Senator McCain and his $520 shoes grandstand for something else. Don't put this country at risk by voting McCain into the presidency.
    If he was the right man Republicans would be excited about this election and every poll taken says that you're not.
    Please do the right thing. We want to be able to hold our heads up high and be proud. THAT WILL NOT HAPPEN WITH McCAIN. HE WILL BE WORSE THAN BUSH WITH OUT A DOUBT. HE IS NOT PRESIDENTIAL MATERIAL. NOT NOW, NOT EVER.

August 4, 2008 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  17. Moe, NY

I believe the vast majority of Democrats want Hillary as VP. We know you threw her under the bus and we will not forget. If Obama is as smart as I think he is, he will pick Hillary for VP. I think Americans have had just about enough of Cowboys from Texas...thank you very much! Just focus on your job Pelosi and stop interferring in the upcoming elections.

August 4, 2008 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  18. TN FOR OBAMA

McSame's running mate = FATHER TIME
    listen carefully, you can hear Father Time calling "McSame, come to me!"

August 4, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  19. Voter

And you thought Hillary Clinton was power hungry!!!!!!!

August 4, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  20. Silence Dogood

Pelosi was the mouthpiece of the sexist Hillary haters. As a woman she should be ashamed. All she had to do was be a referee – keep it fair. Even that NBA ref got fined for cheating. what's Pelosi's fine?

August 4, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  21. Jenna

Anything recommended by Pelosi is suspect to me, her lights are on but no one seems to be home. It's obvious that she favored Senator Obama from the begining, her jealousy of Hillary was completly apparent.

McCain 08

August 4, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  22. Ken

The ONLY person that should be on the ticket is Hillary Clinton, otherwise Obama will never win against McCain in November. I am one of those that if Clinton is not on the ticket, will vote for McCain.

I want to see a vote at the convention, because I believe that there are enough delegates that will change from Obama to Clinton, and Hillary Clinton would become the nominee instead of Obama.

Either or is the only way that Obama has any chance of winning against McCain!

Clinton/Obama 2008

August 4, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  23. PUMA 4 HILL

Pelosi and the other thugs need to keep drinking their vodka and tonics and keep shaking like she does coming off years of hard drinking and bad mouthing people.

Pelosi was just jealous of Hillary... but Hill and her PUMA supporters will have the last laugh.

August 4, 2008 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  24. Agnes

How exactly will Sen. Obama approach the issues facing our great nation? Let’s face the fact that his experience – community outreach and a state senatorial voting record of "Present," does not qualify him for the office of the President of the United States of America – one in which the new President will face the effects of global warming, war, commodities shortages- everything from fresh water and oil to wheat, economic "downturn" and health issues ranging from rogue viruses to tainted food/products. Many of these issues span an international spectrum. Where exactly does Sen. Obama exhibit the experience to effectively deal with these issues? (Who do you want performing your open heart surgery, the professor or the surgeon?) It takes more than being able to talk about how something is supposed to act, (anyone who has just come out of college to start a new job can attest to that;) it takes the experience of actually doing the work. We need change and we need proven leadership – on day one. In my opinion the only person who has the qualifications to effectively handle all the issues facing our nation is Hillary Clinton. This is the reason so many of her campaign advisors are now working with Obama, because he knows Hillary was the true candidate of change. In my opinion the only person who has the qualifications to effectively handle all the issues facing our nation is Hillary Clinton. Barack as Chief Executive?… never. This 30 year democrat will write in Hillary for president and not Obama, no matter who his running mate. I found him lacking and still do.

How can an informed decision be made? Sen Obama simply is not experienced and has many unresolved questions about his past. Local community outreach and state senatorial voting record of present are not enough to say he is experienced. And, as the chairman of the Subcommittee on European Affairs with jurisdiction over NATO’s operations, he hasn’t called a meeting in the two years as it’s chair.
    “From CNN: But Biden, conveniently the Chairman of the full Senate Foreign Relations Committee, hit back at DeMint Thursday, writing in a letter to him that NATO's mission in Afghanistan has been dealt with at the full committee level. "Under my chairmanship the Foreign Relations Committee has addressed most Afghanistan issues at the Full Committee level," Biden wrote. "I believe that this is the best way of ensuring the most comprehensive examination of the complex issues involved, and of ensuring the highest-level Administration participation."”
    Little to no experience here. Even Biden seems to doubt Sen Obama’s executive abilities.
    Nobama!

August 4, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  25. Brian

Shut up, Nancy Pelosi. You cannot rule this country. You are single-handedly blocking the will of the American people. How long until you get voted out?

August 4, 2008 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |